Presbyterian Postgame Thread

The Niner D looked tough again today. Offense was really sluggish with Barden in at first, but seemed to be okay with Matt. Barden looked good when he had time to throw. The band sounded awesome on TV. I know it will be tough the rest of the season, but the future is bright for 49ers football.

It’s amazing how much of a difference a good Defensive Coordinator and a bad Defensive Coordinator can make.

The defense is literally night and day. No more CBs playing 10 yards off the receiver this year. Even if we lose, it won’t be as frustrating as last year when the defense was a joke.

Barden looked decent for his first game especially with the OL (missing 3 starters) not doing him any favors. Lacks the extremely quick decision making of Johnson, although that quick decision making is what leads to Johnson’s 3+ turnover games in the past. The playcalling didn’t do him any favors either, and was frankly pretty poor. Mullen seems to lack an appreciation around some of the finer points of offensive football strategy around countering pressure, getting new QBs in a rhythm, running clock, etc.

Good win, and LOL at the Presby fans that were talking trash before the game. Their offense barely had double digits yards against our starting D.

very impressed with the defense. agree about mullen, not happy about the playcalling on offense. we pass too much and should be handing it off to phillips. i liked braden smith. solid third string running back. our offensive line is going to have trouble against the blitz in cusa. book should not be a starting rt. he plays hard and is experienced but is really third string caliber.

Great D! I haven’t looked at the stats, but I Presby’s O had to have a net gain of roughly ZERO yards late in the 3rd quarter and before they started their first scoring drive.

I think Barden will be just fine but I am also ok leaving Matt in too, especially with his knack for finding Duke streaking down the field.

We should have already scored 10 points prior to when we scored our first TD.

The band was impressive considering they are “new”.

A good win. I’ll take 2-0.

Wasn’t impressed with Barden. He did okay but okay doesn’t cut it in FBS. Matt is definitely our best QB going forward the rest of the season. D was great yet again. Attendence looked poor on TV but I didn’t expect much considering the opponent. Band sounded great. I figured we’d beat Ga State and Presby so any win the rest of the season is just a bonus. Good to be 2-0. And thank goodness my parents have like a 900 channel tv package so I could watch the game on CSN California lol…

And the attendance according to sports mobile app was 16,631. So I stand corrected.

Can’t find the post, but Athletics is claiming this was a record crowd, 16001 or something, so blame the no-shows.

Our Defense played lights out. I don’t care if that was an FCS team. We dominated them.

Was really sad to hear that Covington broke his toe. Per Lambert post game, he is gonna be out for a while. That’s gonna hurt bad in CUSA play. Hard to lose a starting LT (ask Panthers), especially when he is your best OL.

I hope that the kid from Presby is okay. Any word on him? The ambulance never left the stadium.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:29814”]Our Defense played lights out. I don’t care if that was an FCS team. We dominated them.

Was really sad to hear that Covington broke his toe. Per Lambert post game, he is gonna be out for a while. That’s gonna hurt bad in CUSA play. Hard to lose a starting LT (ask Panthers), especially when he is your best OL.

I hope that the kid from Presby is okay. Any word on him? The ambulance never left the stadium.[/quote]
There’s 2 ambulances at games, 1 left with him.

Can’t find the post, but Athletics is claiming this was a record crowd, 16001 or something, so blame the no-shows.[/quote]129 most have been bought by a sponsor or something. It was completely wmpty, except for a few seats. Students showed up, although those in the endzone/corner never returned to their seats after halftime.

Attendance by those with the $2500 fsls was also rather poor. Those sections were probably only 60% full.

The rest looked good before half. I’m sure some were scared off by the cloudy weather, but still disappointing.

I thought Barden looked fine.

The students showed up this time. Their sections were pretty much full till halftime.

That’s better than previously.

Unless there is bad whether I’m expecting a packed house under the lights against FAU.

Suck about Covington.

That’s a huge loss.

Can’t find the post, but Athletics is claiming this was a record crowd, 16001 or something, so blame the no-shows.[/quote]129 most have been bought by a sponsor or something. It was completely wmpty, except for a few seats. Students showed up, although those in the endzone/corner never returned to their seats after halftime.

Attendance by those with the $2500 fsls was also rather poor. Those sections were probably only 60% full.

The rest looked good before half. I’m sure some were scared off by the cloudy weather, but still disappointing.[/quote]
Pic of empty Grigg lot https://mobile.twitter.com/LKNbanker/status/642673320631083008/photo/1

[quote=“emf, post:8, topic:29814”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:29814”]Our Defense played lights out. I don’t care if that was an FCS team. We dominated them.

I hope that the kid from Presby is okay. Any word on him? The ambulance never left the stadium.[/quote]
There’s 2 ambulances at games, 1 left with him.[/quote]

It was still there when I last looked (about 6 mins left in 4th). 2 ambulances.

I thought Barden did fine for his first start. Matt has been starting for two years so he should look better at the start. I thought as Barden settled down he played well. He has a strong arm and seems a little faster than Matt. I think he has a strong future.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:12, topic:29814”][quote=“emf, post:8, topic:29814”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:29814”]Our Defense played lights out. I don’t care if that was an FCS team. We dominated them.

There’s 2 ambulances at games, 1 left with him.[/quote]

It was still there when I last looked (about 6 mins left in 4th). 2 ambulances.[/quote]

No. The ambulance left with the kid before halftime. They even got his parents and let them go in ambulance. The second ambulance came back with about 10 left in 3rd. My seats are such it was pretty easy to see.

The rest looked good before half. I’m sure some were scared off by the cloudy weather, but still disappointing.[/quote]
Pic of empty Grigg lot https://mobile.twitter.com/LKNbanker/status/642673320631083008/photo/1[/quote]

That is TERRIBLE!!!

Although… That was posted 6 hours and 45 min before a noon kickoff game!!! They need to take their ass back to bed.

Much better attendance than I would have expected for a Presbyterian game with rain clouds in the sky.

Great to have a marching band out there.

Thought Johnson looked sharp today for the most part. Really connects with duke on the deep balls.

Barden looked ok. Nothing great, nothing bad. It’s good to get a game under him though.

Buie had some really good runs.

Look forward to seeing how we match up with descent FBS teams

Only disappointment today…although HUGE…was the OL…losing Covington is going to kill us…of course I hope I’m completely wrong

The O line wasn’t very good in the 1st qtr, once we wore them down a bit it improved… Agreed that Covington being hurt could be a killer.

As for the QB play… Rotating QBs has been a success exactly… Never… In the history of football. The old saying still rings true. If you have 2 QBs, you have 0 QBs.

The D was really good again. Color me impressed with Coach Wally.

Hope the Presby kids they had to backboard was just being overly cautions and he make a speedy, and full recovery.

Good start to the home season. This game had trap written all over it- and the kids were going to have none of that.

Coming from someone that watched the game on tv , that is the fullest our stadium has looked on tv since probably the first 2 games of 2013 (which I was at so I don’t know for sure…)

I don’t know what some folks expect for a game against Presby. I scanned the channels and the carrier dome syr/wfu…empty (not ga state empty :slight_smile: ), uva had empty seats playing a top ten Notre Dame who probably had 10k of their own fans.

Lambert’s qb rotation plan showed a lot today. Johnson is clearly the starter at this point. Barden showed lots of promise and is the future.

Looks like the two QB system may be around longer than just this week.

Charlotte coach Brad Lambert started freshman Brooks Barden at quarterback and alternated Barden and previous starter Matt Johnson throughout the first half.

“We wanted to get Brooks into the game,” Lambert said. “I thought he made some good plays. And Matt has plenty of good qualities that we need.”

Lambert said he expects to continue platooning the two “the rest of the way.”

Johnson completed eight of 11 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. Barden had 11 of 17 completions for 77 yards and a score.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article35048553.html#storylink=cpy