Presbyterian Pre Game Thread

Charlotte fans have been counting the Presbyterian game as a Win for some time. It is was the best chance for a win in the season.

The Blue Hose are coming off a 5-5 campaign in 2014. However, when you look at the common opponents Presby beat Charleston Southern and Gardner Webb last season, two teams Charlotte lost to.

The good news is we are a year older, returning almost all of our starters and adding some new faces, particularly on the defense. The opposite can be said for Presbyterian.

Key Losses for the Blue Hose include:
QB Heys McMath, Senior leader threw for 1335 yards and 6 touchdowns.
RB Demarcus Rouse, lead the Blue Hose in rushing
WRs Antigha, McKie, and Hurley. 3 of the top 4 receivers from last season Antigha a 6-4 target lead the Blue Hose in receiving.
OL Salamans and Ritter. The Center Salamans is replaced by a true sophomore and Ritterā€™s 300 lbs will be missed as the O-Line now averages 283 pounds. (For perspective, the Charlotte Offensive line averages 301.8 )

The Blue Hose do return a lot of their defense. The entire defensive front line returns, but averages 237.5 pounds. (Again, for perspective, the Charlotte Defensive line averages 293.7)

we need to push their small defensive line around and wear them out. i want to see barden get some playing time.

Good write up ID,

Unfortunately I will have to miss this game as I have a commitment that I cannot get out of. I hope I get to see the Niners win at home this year.

Presby put up a solid effort at Miami of Ohio yesterday. This will be tougher than some expect. If we donā€™t protect the ball, this could be a problematic game.

they do return page high school alum and 1st. team all big south db ed britt.

We have to take every games seriously at this point. Losing to Presbyterian will take away any juice we have coming off the GA State win. Iā€™m encouraged by the way our defense played. Iā€™m not a huge fan of running the hurry up offense because it seems to produce a lot of rushed plays that lead to turnovers. We also need to figure out how to score TDs in the red zone and how to knock a team out when we have them down. We are still inexperienced and it shows. I hope we can build some confidence against Presbyterian as the competition is about to get much tougher.

So far this season:

Presby lost to Miami(OH) 26-7, in a game that was 13-7 going into the 4th Quarter.

This would have been Presbyā€™s first win over an FBS opponent ever had they pulled through in the 4th quarter, but depth showed and Miami tacked on another 13 points.

Miami(OH) is not projected to be a very good team this year. They return 37% of their offense from a 2-10 team last season. However, Miami was able to move the ball well for a balanced attack of 466 yards. They lost 2 fumbles causing 2 drives to fail during the game.

For the Blue hose, RB Darrell Bridges had a good day with 126 rushing yards on 27 attempts. The QB threw for only 163 yards and 1 interception. They were abysmal on 3rd downs, converting on 4 of 16. The lone FG attempt of the game was a 27 yarder that the Blue Hose missed.

The best game we played in our inaugural season was against Presbyterian. I am a little wary of this game as well, Presbyterian was picked to finish third in The Big South behind two excellent teams (Liberty and CCU). I think we win this one, but also believe they will keep it close for a while.

I would love to see the offense get cranked up this game.

The Blue Hoseā€™s starting QB Tamyn Garrick was injured (knee injury) late in the 4th quarter. Didnā€™t return for the rest of the game. Not sure on status.

Anyone want to trade a Yellow Lot pass for a Black one for Presby?

Has anybody seen a line for this game?

From their boardā€¦

In any event, I watched Charlotte @ Georgia State and I can honestly say that I may have watched the two worst teams in all of Division I. I cannot actually say that with certainty but only because I didn't watch Campbell take on Pikeville this weekend. It was like watching two fraternities play two-hand touch on somebody's front lawn after a night and subsequent morning of heavy drinking. There were eight turnovers between them and there could have been so many more. In fact, our best defensive alignment this week may be blitzing a corner off the edge on every play simply to field the snap as the Charlotte center sails the ball high over their quarterback's head to land a full ten yards behind him. If we can put our red zone struggles behind us, this game will be over in a hurry and in our favor.

;D

I am sure they have improved since our game two years ago, but our current squad is in a different universe from the team that whooped Presby in 2013. The gap between the G5 and the top of the FCS is not as great as it used to be, but this game should not be close. We should dominate in the trenches, and as long as we donā€™t get cute on offense, we should be able to run it down their throats with Phillips and Buie.

[quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:12, topic:29800ā€]From their boardā€¦

In any event, I watched Charlotte @ Georgia State and I can honestly say that I may have watched the two worst teams in all of Division I. I cannot actually say that with certainty but only because I didn't watch Campbell take on Pikeville this weekend. It was like watching two fraternities play two-hand touch on somebody's front lawn after a night and subsequent morning of heavy drinking. There were eight turnovers between them and there could have been so many more. In fact, our best defensive alignment this week may be blitzing a corner off the edge on every play simply to field the snap as the Charlotte center sails the ball high over their quarterback's head to land a full ten yards behind him. If we can put our red zone struggles behind us, this game will be over in a hurry and in our favor.

;D

I am sure they have improved since our game two years ago, but our current squad is in a different universe from the team that whooped Presby in 2013. The gap between the G5 and the top of the FCS is not as great as it used to be, but this game should not be close. We should dominate in the trenches, and as long as we donā€™t get cute on offense, we should be able to run it down their throats with Phillips and Buie.[/quote]

Itā€™s true that the very top of the FCS is just as good as much of the G5; but someone should let me know when Presby is anywhere near the top of the FCS.

[quote=ā€œNewNiner, post:13, topic:29800ā€][quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:12, topic:29800ā€]From their boardā€¦

;D

I am sure they have improved since our game two years ago, but our current squad is in a different universe from the team that whooped Presby in 2013. The gap between the G5 and the top of the FCS is not as great as it used to be, but this game should not be close. We should dominate in the trenches, and as long as we donā€™t get cute on offense, we should be able to run it down their throats with Phillips and Buie.[/quote]

Itā€™s true that the very top of the FCS is just as good as much of the G5; but someone should let me know when Presby is anywhere near the top of the FCS.[/quote]

Bet this is that presby dreamer that roy w had thrown out of the dean dome. What a joke his comments are. :))

i thought we played them last season not 2013. anyways, this dude is delusional. we beat them 45-21 at their place last season, we return a lot and added solid players while they lost a lot and now have to go on the road. iā€™m not overlooking them but that guy needs a reality check.

It was a pretty ugly game on a Friday afternoon.

I also watched another very ugly game the first weekend on a Friday in the dome last year too. Lots of turnovers on both sides. The winning team didnā€™t have a hard time snapping the ball but they had about 6 false starts in the first half. I imagine this fan thought they could beat them too.

Those teams turned out to be ole miss and Boise state, they had decent years.

Not saying we are access bowl level, just itā€™s tough to tell much from one game. A lot of the negatives will get worked out.

via 5dimes and i am loading up on Presbyterian

Sat 9/12 503 Presbyterian +7 -120 o51 -120
12:00 PM 504 Charlotte -7 -120 u51 -120

[font=Tahoma][size=0.9em][/size][size=13px]

[/size][/font]

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:14, topic:29800ā€][quote=ā€œNewNiner, post:13, topic:29800ā€][quote=ā€œMikeNiner11, post:12, topic:29800ā€]From their boardā€¦

;D

Itā€™s true that the very top of the FCS is just as good as much of the G5; but someone should let me know when Presby is anywhere near the top of the FCS.[/quote]

Bet this is that presby dreamer that roy w had thrown out of the dean dome. What a joke his comments are. :))[/quote]

clt highly endorses that patriot.

[quote=ā€œninerID, post:16, topic:29800ā€]It was a pretty ugly game on a Friday afternoon.

I also watched another very ugly game the first weekend on a Friday in the dome last year too. Lots of turnovers on both sides. The winning team didnā€™t have a hard time snapping the ball but they had about 6 false starts in the first half. I imagine this fan thought they could beat them too.

Those teams turned out to be ole miss and Boise state, they had decent years.

Not saying we are access bowl level, just itā€™s tough to tell much from one game. A lot of the negatives will get worked out.[/quote]

This. I watched a lot of football this past weekend, and most of the teams that I saw looked really sloppy. Sure, we looked pretty bad out there at times, but thatā€™s just what Week 1 looks like, and was true of us, others in CUSA, as well as SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc.

I was at the Presby game last time. They were out of their league against us. I agree that we need to be careful not to look past them, but they have no business competing with us. We just need to go out there and remind them.

Right now, Saturdayā€™s weather forecast is mostly cloudy all day with a 50% chance of a shower or t-storm, high of 82-83. 81 around kickoff. Itā€™s only Tuesday, so I expect it to change as we get closer, as usual.