PSL's ?

OK, how about:

$15 million from sugar-daddy donor(s) for bulk of stadium expansion for Belk Track
$6 million in additional donations raised by Sept. 1, 2009 (thatā€™s what Old Dominion accomplished)
5,000 season ticket deposits of $100 each

Reasonable, or too much?

OK, how about:

$15 million from sugar-daddy donor(s) for bulk of stadium expansion for Belk Track
$6 million in additional donations raised by Sept. 1, 2009 (thatā€™s what Old Dominion accomplished)

Reasonable, or too much?

Did ODU put a price tag on the stadium number? Iā€™m not totally familiar with their startup costs, so I will not answer to that yet. I think the $6 mil. is do-able under the right guise that it is marketed and promoted whole heartedly by the school, meaning they are on the phones as well to get donations, not the current half assed behind a curtain charade. Iā€™d also like to think the season ticket number is do-able.

ODU giving Foreman Field a $24.8 million facelift for 2009. Will seat 20,000.

http://hamptonroads.com/node/333761

Also building a $17 million practice facility, to come on line this fall:

http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052808aab.html

ODU's $17 million stadium will be shared with field hockey and lacrosse.

and if we expand Belk Track, then weā€™d share ours with track, soccer, and maybe even field hockey and lacrosse when they come. Thatā€™d be damn good field time management.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;322926]and if we expand Belk Track, then weā€™d share ours with track, soccer, and maybe even field hockey and lacrosse when they come. Thatā€™d be damn good field time management.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s the practice facility, SF. I had to edit my post.

how much was raised for either (or both) during their fundraiser?

I just noticed Foreman Field was built in 1934. Thatā€™s likely going to make that price tag higher, although I do not know by how much (likely a couple Mill.). Spending a 1/4 Mill. to remove asbestos and other harmful stuff is just part of it.

Iā€™ll say if they do go the route for expanding Belk Track, I wouldnā€™t do anything fancy or revolutionary if the idea is to eventually go with a new and bigger stadium. What am I saying? The school doesnā€™t do that with any of the other architecture on campus so there should be no worry for the lowest possibly price tag on the expansion. Trust me, the 20-30 Mil. price tag will be much closer to the $20 mil. number irregardless of the amount chipped in by donors.

OK, how about:

Reasonable, or too much?

I hate to admit it, but I like that formula. I think we may even be able to top the 5,000 season ticket deposits.

And we still need to reach out to the community to get all the support we can.

I'll say if they do go the route for expanding Belk Track, I wouldn't do anything fancy or revolutionary if the idea is to eventually go with a new and bigger stadium.
I've only been in the soccer/track stadium 15 or 20 times at the most, but I've never been in there without thinking about ways to expand it for football.
I've only been in the soccer/track stadium 15 or 20 times at the most, but I've never been in there without thinking about ways to expand it for football.

I say do it simple. Stadium seating on the far side with concessions below to add another 8-10k in seating and Iā€™d keep the hill open if at all possible to allow for family seating on the lawn.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;322889]So, keeping score here:

ā€“ PSLs = fail
ā€“ Fundraising with no promises = fail
ā€“ Dubois seeking donors = fail
ā€“ Less than $300 student fee increase = fail
ā€“ Lack of one huge benefactor = fail
ā€“ Leap and hope for the best, because if you build it they will come = succeed?[/QUOTE]

This is with the goal of playing Division I in the minimum amount of time.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;322916]OK, how about:

Reasonable, or too much?[/QUOTE]

This would/should be for an I-AA program with realistic goals. Even if you donā€™t get the big donor you can spread out the up-front costs over a longer period of time because youā€™re not in a hurry to meet Division I expectations. Small renovations to Belk facility now will allow us to play I-AA football. It would not require a huge overall within 3 years. We could make small ones each offseason for, say, 10 years. This way, the program builds, should have success on I-AA level, and then more donations should come in.

See the difference? Division-I-or-bust is the wrong strategy, and we will likely not get what we want (at team on the field) with that strategy.