Question

I don’t watch a lot of baseball so forgive me if there is an obvious answer to my question:

Yesterday in the Braves v. Rockies game, score was tied with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. Chipper Jones was walked. Tex comes up to the plate. At least one pitch was thrown and Jones was thrown out trying to steal 2nd ending the inning. When the Braves came back up in the bottom of the 10th, Tex was at the plate again. How did that happen when he had taken at least one pitch in the 9th? Like I said it may be a common thing but I don’t recall having ever seen it before.

Where is our Baseball connoisseur when we need him? Biscuit!

He was never called out. He gets a clean start again at the plate. HE was at bat but Chipper was picked off. Still his at bat until strikes out or gets on base.

Jason just earned more friends points. Your loss BP

[QUOTE=Jason4Life32;252184]He was never called out. He gets a clean start again at the plate. HE was at bat but Chipper was picked off. Still his at bat until strikes out or gets on base.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that is why you see managers send the runner on an 0-1 count or a count with two strikes and 2 outs. That way if the runner does get thrown out, then the hitter gets a clean sheet next inning.

Bottom line: every at-bat must yield something - either an out or a safe reach of 1B. Since Teixeira fell into neither of those categories when Chipper got caught, his at-bat wasn’t over.

That’s the rulebook’s explanation. Sorry it’s a little repetitive.

Thanks guys! You learn something new every day . . .

(My 100th post by the way!!!):toast:

does the batter get a fresh count in the next inning, or does he inherit what he had when the baserunner was thrown out?

does the batter get a fresh count in the next inning, or does he inherit what he had when the baserunner was thrown out?
Fresh count, at least that is what happened yesterday . . .

That’s crazy.
I thought you’d be stranded at the plate, only this time it was home instead of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, & no stat would be issued for you.

You start totally clean every at-bat. The only time anything is inherited is when the batter or pitcher changes in the middle of the same at-bat.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;252220]That’s crazy.
I thought you’d be stranded at the plate, only this time it was home instead of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, & no stat would be issued for you.[/QUOTE]
But then it would be as if your at-bat never happened. As the batter, you have the right to try to reach.

Do some of you just not watch baseball? This scenario happens all the freakin’ time. In games I work (Niners and Intimidators), I’d say this happens at least once every two games.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;252224]But then it would be as if your at-bat never happened. As the batter, you have the right to try to reach.

Do some of you just not watch baseball? This scenario happens all the freakin’ time. In games I work (Niners and Intimidators), I’d say this happens at least once every two games.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t watched since the labor strikes. Mcgwire/Sosa didn’t work on getting me back, and Bonds sure as hell doesn’t.

Do some of you just not watch baseball? This scenario happens all the freakin' time. In games I work (Niners and Intimidators), I'd say this happens at least once every two games.

It happens more than that.