Recruiting at Charlotte

Clicked on the Pac Man show for the first time in a long while and the first caller I heard asked about our Coaching search. Stan was on and said Charlotte was the toughest recruiting job in the Country and it was near impossible to bring top kids in year in and year out.

If Charlotte is the toughest recruiting job in the Country with our location (NBA team nearby, City of Charlotte, Warm weather climate) facilities, and decent conference I do not what to think.

I just do not buy that. Is it that hard to do here or I am drunk off the Kool Aid?

The local sports talk guys just think since we’re in the middle of ACC country we’re in the worst situation in the country. We’re no different than any school located in the middle of Big East country, or in the heart of any other major conference. They just believe the ACC is THAT much better than everyone else when in reality it’s not.

i get so f’ing tired of this. . . . .

Xavier has a big east school in the same damn town, in the middle of the Big 10 country with the big east not far, Dayton also nearby. Guess what . . .they both have top 25 recruiting classes.

and please don’t give me the “bobby had a top 25 recruiting class per some website” It was because we signed 6 2.5-star kids for a total of 15 stars because we ran a Juco mill and averaged 1.5 transfers we needed a 6 man class.

The ACC thing is a challange, but not a unique one as you pointed out. The other big challange is being a team in the south playing in the A10…kids around here don’t know much about hte A10, and kids from up north who want to play in the A10 likely aren’t going to want to come down here to do so.

I think our conference presents a (somewhat) unique challange, but other than that, we aren’t in a terribly unique situation. I think our biggest problem over the past 5 years has been wanting to hit the home runs in recruiting. Good teams recruit to their style of play, it seemed like we were always recruiting the highest rated players who would talk to us.

We made recruiting much more difficult than it needed to be because we wanted the next Rodney White, Demon Brown, Curis Withers, etc…If we form an identity under the new coach (that involves more than jacking up 3’s all game), I think we will do well recruiting to the style rather than trying to out-recruit BCS teams for the top talent.

It’s always a challenge to recruit when the program has a rather downward spiraling direction…regardless of where you are located. Yes we have 5 or 6 major schools within a few hours of us…big whoop. Anybody heard of San Diego St. They have to out recruit USC, UCLA, Cal and other big time schools in their same area and they have managed just fine the past 5 years.

It’s called hyperbole. I can promise you my dad doesn’t think we are literally the toughest recruiting job in the nation. You have to consider though, we are a southern school in the A10 which makes for a weird fit, and all the local kids would rather play for a bottom feeder in the ACC. I didn’t hear the show but we’ve talked about it before, and I can tell you that’s what he meant.

Let me see, which one do I pick?

or…

Geez! ::slight_smile:

[quote=“run49er, post:7, topic:22937”]Let me see, which one do I pick?

or…

Geez! ::)[/quote]

Let me help you. Go post in a thread that you have started and are the only one to reply to and keep your feelings of superiority in tact. Wife must be tough on you at home.

I don’t let this kinda stuff affect me. Being an underdog will only make the victories more sweet when we get this new coach and build our way back up to being a winning, tournament team like Xavier, while NC State, Miami, Virginia, VA Tech, etc. keep stayin home and Clemson keeps goin 0-for everything in the tournament.

YUM! This Green Kool-Aid you recommended IS GOOD!!!

It’s a tough recruiting job, but not necessarily worse than what other A10 schools face. I don’t think the A10 is that much more challenging for Charlotte than it is for schools in the middle of Big 10 or Big East areas. One difference is that some of those schools get more attention from the local media, and get on t.v. locally. I’m really hoping the A10 will improve their t.v. contract soon, and that this will give the league members better exposure to use in recruiting.

Very unlikely to pull in many top 50 guys unless you have a dynamite recruiter, but the school should be more successful with 51-200 based on playing time, fit to a style, and local players (along with going after more northeastern recruits). And cut back on the juco/transfer turnover rate please.

[quote=“9erken, post:11, topic:22937”]It’s a tough recruiting job, but not necessarily worse than what other A10 schools face. I don’t think the A10 is that much more challenging for Charlotte than it is for schools in the middle of Big 10 or Big East areas. One difference is that some of those schools get more attention from the local media, and get on t.v. locally. I’m really hoping the A10 will improve their t.v. contract soon, and that this will give the league members better exposure to use in recruiting.

Very unlikely to pull in many top 50 guys unless you have a dynamite recruiter, but the school should be more successful with 51-200 based on playing time, fit to a style, and local players (along with going after more northeastern recruits). And cut back on the juco/transfer turnover rate please.[/quote]

I don’t know if I’d rather know that our conference didn’t care enough to try to get us a local TV affiliate; or if they tried hard and were laughed at by potential broadcast partners. I do hate feeling like hamster/wheel ran WFNZ is doing us a favor by broadcasting our games.

I do think we face certain recruiting challenges that no other NCAA “mid-majors” face. While you can point to cases where a BCS program dominates a “mid-major’s” market or even 2 BCS schools, no one has 4 basketball “powers” dominate their market. Combine the fact that the local media are whores for those 4 schools and we do face unique recruiting challenges. That’s still no escuse to accept mediocrity, and we do need a dynamic leader to overcome it.

Xavier and Dayton have Cincinnati, Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky, Purdue, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and WVU all within a reasonable drive away. Outside of Pitt and WVU they are all closer than Charlotte is to any of the 4 ACC schools. Plus Xavier and Dayton are competing against each other. At least we don’t have another school near us that in the same conference or a conference of a similar level to compete against.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2, topic:22937”]The local sports talk guys just think since we’re in the middle of ACC country we’re in the worst situation in the country. We’re no different than any school located in the middle of Big East country, or in the heart of any other major conference. They just believe the ACC is THAT much better than everyone else when in reality it’s not.[/quote]I noticed the “local sports guys” also failed to inform the public the A10’s rating was just about equal to the ACC’s rating this year, so a lot of this is nothing but “ACC Marketing”.

BTW, I know Jim mentioned the A10’s rating in his blog, but that is not the same as it appearing in a regular article read by the 'average sports fan".

edit: I was not necessarily talking about Scotty’s dad. He is one of the good guys.

I noticed the “local sports guys” also failed to inform the public the A10’s rating was just about equal to the ACC’s rating this year, so a lot of this is nothing but “ACC Marketing”.

BTW, I know Jim mentioned the A10’s rating in his blog, but that is not the same as it appearing in a regular article read by the 'average sports fan".

edit: I was not necessarily talking about Scotty’s dad. He is one of the good guys.

To guys like us who read the stats to see where we rank against the bigger conferences the rankings mean quite a bit. To a high school kid that goes by the name on the name of the conference in most cases means more than how that conference is ranked.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:15, topic:22937”]

I noticed the “local sports guys” also failed to inform the public the A10’s rating was just about equal to the ACC’s rating this year, so a lot of this is nothing but “ACC Marketing”.

To guys like us who read the stats to see where we rank against the bigger conferences the rankings mean quite a bit. To a high school kid that goes by the name on the name of the conference in most cases means more than how that conference is ranked.[/quote]
True… but I was also talking about “local support”. A lack of loal support could kill us when we try to get into a better conference, and it’s difficult to get that local support when the local press always portrays you as not being worthy.

And all of them are in three different conferences and most are in different states and media markets and all have very different and sometimes opposing agendas. In all honesty you know only 1 team in Xavier’s and Dayton’s market mean anything to the people in that market and that’s Ohio St (Cincy honestly can be lumped in with X and D here too). If we assume that Ohio St.'s market dominance is roughly equivalent to The Tarhole’s have here; then imagine that Notre Dame, Purdue and Indiana where in their local market as well; and had a uniformly unified media machine in that market like the ACC has in Charlotte; then Xavier and Dayton’s difficulties might parallel ours.

[quote=“Over49er, post:16, topic:22937”][quote=“cdsniner, post:15, topic:22937”]

To guys like us who read the stats to see where we rank against the bigger conferences the rankings mean quite a bit. To a high school kid that goes by the name on the name of the conference in most cases means more than how that conference is ranked.[/quote]
True… but I was also talking about “local support”. A lack of loal support could kill us when we try to get into a better conference, and it’s difficult to get that local support when the local press always portrays you as not being worthy. [/quote]

For us, step 1 has to be butts in seats. We shouldn’t even ask a better conference to consider us till we have 9,000 in Halton and 15,000 in the football stadium every home game.

But who are you including as the local competition for Charlotte? If you’re including WF and NCst then I’d say they are comparable to Cincinnati.

The primary question though is who do the top recruits look to when they are growing up and approaching their decision. Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio state can come in and pluck those guys just as easily as the ACC in our region. It’s a comparable problem that Xavier and Dayton have dealt with much better.

So are you saying Indiana = Duke, Purdue = Wake and Notre Dame = NC State? You think more highley of the “other” two ACC teams than I do.

So are you saying Indiana = Duke, Purdue = Wake and Notre Dame = NC State? You think more highley of the “other” two ACC teams than I do.[/quote]

Indiana and Purdue are NOT in Xavier’s and Dayton’s market. Wake and Duke and NC State ARE in our’s. To X and D, Purdue and Indiana are more like S. Carolina and Clemson to us.

[quote=“9erken, post:18, topic:22937”]But who are you including as the local competition for Charlotte? If you’re including WF and NCst then I’d say they are comparable to Cincinnati.
The primary question though is who do the top recruits look to when they are growing up and approaching their decision. Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio state can come in and pluck those guys just as easily as the ACC in our region. It’s a comparable problem that Xavier and Dayton have dealt with much better.[/quote]

Wake could be equal to Cincy if Cincy was in the Big 10. NC State has considerably more support in Charlotte than Cincy has in Cinncinati.