Recruiting debate

[QUOTE=lucky57;310878]Weā€™ll just disagree on this one.Iā€™ll say though that there were times that opponents planned their defensive strategy around stopping Plavichā€¦and Ian ainā€™t gonna throw that kind of fear into anyone.Iā€™m not saying Brendan was the be all/end all because he sure had a few holes in his game,but there were a number of games that he just carried us on his back,particularly tough road games,that I just donā€™t ever see Ian doing.Heā€™s a role player.[/QUOTE]

Plavich couldnā€™t dribble, pass, was a terrible ft shooter and a worse defender. He had long range that was shaky at best. It is easier to remember the good games (which there were a few), than the game where he hit less than five and missed more than 10, which there were quite a few. To say he had some holes in his game is to say the Pacific Ocean is a sea.

[QUOTE=EE9er;310884]Wow, did Plavich steal your girlfriend or something? Thatā€™s a ridiculous statement, Plav averaged 13 points a game against better competition in CUSA, won the game at Indiana all by himself. Sure he wasnā€™t a very good defender but Ian is light years behind Plav.[/QUOTE]

Itā€™s funny that people complain about our shot selection now, but are big fans of BP. It doesnā€™t add up. Talk about a guy with absolutely no discipline.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;310892]Ok, move on. PB will argue a point forever. Do it somewhere else.
[/QUOTE]

Uh huhā€¦

[QUOTE=ChevEE;310897]Youā€™re right. Thatā€™s the sort of thing that should be discussed on a sports message board. Not hereā€¦:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

10/10.

Perhaps he just wasn't a very good player:

http://thesac.athleticsite.com/stats/mbkb07-08/tc.htm#team.ind

wow he sucked that bad vs. d2 competition? Donā€™t miss him a bit.

[QUOTE=survivor45;312195]
Perhaps he just wasnā€™t a very good player:

[/QUOTE]

Then I have a problem with him getting a scholarship. We get too many Phalers, Bests, Bookers and Lewises. Iā€™d rather have more Largents on the end of our bench. I donā€™t expect us to get all-americans to ride pine here, but if the option is a guy who is so bad he stinks it up at d-2 and no one at all, Iā€™d rather have no one.

I know we have to go after diamonds in the rough, but sometimes I think in recruiting we swing for the fences, you know, the ones behind the catcher.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;312484]Then I have a problem with him getting a scholarship. We get too many Phalers, Bests, Bookers and Lewises. Iā€™d rather have more Largents on the end of our bench. I donā€™t expect us to get all-americans to ride pine here, but if the option is a guy who is so bad he stinks it up at d-2 and no one at all, Iā€™d rather have no one.

I know we have to go after diamonds in the rough, but sometimes I think in recruiting we swing for the fences, you know, the ones behind the catcher.[/QUOTE]

you win some and you lose some. not every guy you are going to recruit is going to be able to adjust to the next level of play. how many times have you seen high school players bust when they came to the college game. same with college kids going pro. what is J.J. Reddick doing now? anyoneā€¦? i can give you a hint. it has something to do with air balling lay ups.

Durrrrā€¦

[QUOTE=Powerbait;312484]Then I have a problem with him getting a scholarship. We get too many Phalers, Bests, Bookers and Lewises. Iā€™d rather have more Largents on the end of our bench. I donā€™t expect us to get all-americans to ride pine here, but if the option is a guy who is so bad he stinks it up at d-2 and no one at all, Iā€™d rather have no one.

I know we have to go after diamonds in the rough, but sometimes I think in recruiting we swing for the fences, you know, the ones behind the catcher.[/QUOTE]

So, we need to sign more good recruits and sign less bad recruits?

Brilliant! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=survivor45;312487]So, we need to sign more good recruits and sign less bad recruits?

Brilliant! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, cause Largent was an all-american waiting to happen!

I donā€™t have a problem with signing guys who arenā€™t going to be superstars. If Gaby or Phil doesnā€™t pan out, I can live with that. The same with Harris or Gerrity. But, when we sign guys that never set foot on the court and we know they arenā€™t going to set foot on the court, we have a problem.

I donā€™t mind projects, we will have to take some of them. I just wish we got more Sagers and Largents than Bests and Bookers.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;312488]Oh yeah, cause Largent was an all-american waiting to happen!

I donā€™t have a problem with signing guys who arenā€™t going to be superstars. If Gaby or Phil doesnā€™t pan out, I can live with that. The same with Harris or Gerrity. But, when we sign guys that never set foot on the court and we know they arenā€™t going to set foot on the court, we have a problem.

I donā€™t mind projects, we will have to take some of them. I just wish we got more Sagers and Largents than Bests and Bookers.[/QUOTE]

OK, Iā€™ll bite:

How come Gaby/Phil can be busts while Best/Booker cannot?

[QUOTE=survivor45;312491]OK, Iā€™ll bite:

How come Gaby/Phil can be busts while Best/Booker cannot?[/QUOTE]

easy, they have both come here and shown that they can play. They may not develop into great players, but they are at least on the level of a d-1 player, maybe not a good one, but at least they could play (therefore not being busts to me).

Best and Booker did nothing while they were here. I understand that occasionally you will get a player like that, but I feel like we have recently gotten a lot of players like that. And almost all of them have ended up tranferring out.

Why are we recruiting guys that arenā€™t going to sniff the court and apparently arenā€™t good enough to play D-2 basketball? That is a huge dropoff.

Now, we have a team of guy with only one project that redshirted, I like that better than what we have done recently.

I think Pb is getting at not having a scenario where a player is signed, then shortly thereafter basically being told in so many words ā€˜you have no future here/no playing time here/ā€™ If youā€™re gonna have that happen, why bring the person in at all? Where is the failure in the evaluation process? I think thatā€™s the point.

[QUOTE=NLP;312502]I think Pb is getting at not having a scenario where a player is signed, then shortly thereafter basically being told in so many words ā€˜you have no future here/no playing time here/ā€™ If youā€™re gonna have that happen, why bring the person in at all? Where is the failure in the evaluation process? I think thatā€™s the point.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I think Pb is getting at not having a scenario where a player is signed, then shortly thereafter basically being told in so many words 'you have no future here/no playing time here/' If you're gonna have that happen, why bring the person in at all? Where is the failure in the evaluation process? I think that's the point.
to be honest, don't all colleges and all sports do that?

[QUOTE=ninerID;312504]to be honest, donā€™t all colleges and all sports do that?[/QUOTE]

Does it happen? Yes. But it happens a lot here, at least a lot lately.

to be honest, don't all colleges and all sports do that?
It seems like we've had it happen to us more than others. That's all. I think part of that was directly addressed by Lutz last year when he said he wanted the assistants to recruit more on system fit than on accolades. I'd like to think Booker would have been a non-signee if that strategy was implemented two seasons ago but we'll see.

[QUOTE=NLP;312506]It seems like weā€™ve had it happen to us more than others. Thatā€™s all. I think part of that was directly addressed by Lutz last year when he said he wanted the assistants to recruit more on system fit than on accolades. Iā€™d like to think Booker would have been a non-signee if that strategy was implemented two seasons ago but weā€™ll see.[/QUOTE]

And, I do think this past season we got guys who can not only contribute, but are contributing with only one project. It is a step in the right direction. I am just wary of any steps we take, because weā€™re great as a program of stepping forward and leaping backward.

Perhaps he just wasn't a very good player:

http://thesac.athleticsite.com/stats/mbkb07-08/tc.htm#team.ind

Heā€™s only played 8 mins all season and played in only 3 games. He doesnā€™t have a single basket. I wonder if heā€™s injured or whatā€¦??

[QUOTE=EE9er;310828]Ok your turn to stop talking right thereā€¦

List of teams that were intertested.

Rivals. [URL]http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=60602[/URL]

Scout. [URL]http://charlotte.scout.com/a.z?s=428&p=8&c=1&nid=2923787[/URL]

I guess you did get Wake right.[/QUOTE]

You take Scout and Rivals as sole provider of information? I guess Rashad Coleman is going to be garbage then, neither lists anyone but us as being interestedā€¦

BTW, I like how someone expects a guy to be a ā€œwaste of a schollieā€ just because he was redshirted. Give me a breakā€¦

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;313338]You take Scout and Rivals as sole provider of information? I guess Rashad Coleman is going to be garbage then, neither lists anyone but us as being interestedā€¦

BTW, I like how someone expects a guy to be a ā€œwaste of a schollieā€ just because he was redshirted. Give me a breakā€¦[/QUOTE]

come on manā€¦ It is a ā€œ[B]Wast[/B] of a schollieā€

[QUOTE=lucky57;310878]Iā€™m not saying Brendan was the be all/end all because he sure had a few holes in his game,but there were a number of games that he just carried us on his back,particularly tough road games,that I just donā€™t ever see Ian doing.Heā€™s a role player.[/QUOTE]

Ian has carried us on his back many times this year season, there were a lot of games we wouldnā€™t have won without him, period.

How many times did he spark the whole team for a comeback?
How many times did he keep us in the game while Lee was off?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273422429 <-- He started the run for us
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273520202 <-- we lost, but without Ian, this one will look really bad
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280662429 <-- five straight 3s to put GW away

There are a few more that I canā€™t remember at this moment

I guess you can argue that he didnā€™t really ā€œcarry the team on his backā€, but you have to admit that he carried us in some way and there are quiet a few games we would have lost without him.
I can also remember many times that our whole team look like **** until Ian comes in, score a few buckets, energize the whole team and spark a win for us.

It is not fair to compare a PB and Ian because Ian is only a sophomore, I still think Ian will be way better than PB by his senior year.

Ian = Plavich. Play Ian 33 minutes per game, run the whole offense around him like Bobby did for Plavich and you get the same stats/results.