Recruiting in CUSA

CUSA is obviously a step down in talent from the A10, but on the other hand, we mainly recruit the south, so geographically it fits. How do you guys think the conference move will effect recruiting?
Most if not all of our incomming recruits had “WTF!?” type reactions on Twitter to the announcement that we are going to CUSA. Obviously this league is not highly regarded by kids today. I have faith in Major’s recruiting abilities though. If we can just continue to get a few three star guys each year, I think we can win 20+ games each year in this leage.

I talked to an AAU coach in Georgia last night on twitter about how this might affect our recruiting: “I don’t think so, their fan base and proximity will always make them an attractive midmajor option.”

This coach is from a program that we’ve recruited and will continue to recruit from.

uggggggh. midmajor. i hate that word.

It’s not the kiss of death that it used to be with the success of schools like VCU and Butler. Heck, I hear Xavier referred to has a “high” mid major (which I disagree with).

It’s exactly what we are in the recruiting world. We don’t target many high major kids, because we won’t land them. We go after what are labeled MM to fringe HM recruits.

I don’t think CUSA hurts recruiting. TV exposure is about the same as the A10, but with our recruiting mostly being done in the south, our recruits will have better proximity to home so family members/friends can see them play.

CUSA is a league where you can get three star players with the occasional 4 star guy just like the A10. If Major was mostly recruiting out of the NE, I’d be more concerned.

Having football on campus should give our recruiting a boost in all sports, no?

You could argue it’s exactly what we are (hard for some to admit).

[quote=“Nugget, post:7, topic:26729”]Having football on campus should give our recruiting a boost in all sports, no?[/quote]It’s a huge recruiting tool for all sports.

Conference USA is great but the real world is there will be lots of beatdowns until the program gets up to speed. Remember this conference sends many players to the pro’s every year and these boys are BIG!

[quote=“oldschool81, post:10, topic:26729”]Conference USA is great but the real world is there will be lots of beatdowns until the program gets up to speed. Remember this conference sends many players to the pro’s every year and these boys are BIG![/quote]At least we have a two year head start to start recruiting FBS players. The schools going from FCS to FBS are going to go into it with mostly FCS level players.

We have half about 1/3 of a team right now. Our future efforts should target FBS level players and BCS transfers.

I think the fact that we DON’T have a program yet actually helps us.

As I stated earlier in a Charlotte Observer article on this subject I look to see in the area of 40-50 players transfer into the program before the first game although I think they will come from FCS and D2 programs.Most players that come out of Juco already have offers if they are any good and I don’t know how many will want to sit out a year to start a new program. By the time the first game comes around this team will have plenty of time to get ready and compete with their future schedules although 2014 is a pretty tough schedule. GO NINERS.

This is talking strictly about mens basketball recruiting, not football :slight_smile:

Scotty, you ignorant slut.

??? That explanation just made my head spin.

I understand why the term is used. But the problem with the term is that “major” has no meaning. BCS and non-BCS makes sense. But high major, major, mid-major, 1/4 major are meaningless.

So, our move out of CUSA hurt recruiting and now our move back into CUSA could potentially hurt recruiting? I don’t know why, but I think we’ll be okay. I feel like we’re returning home after working a “lucrative” job in the northeast that never materialized like we thought it would.

??? That explanation just made my head spin.

I understand why the term is used. But the problem with the term is that “major” has no meaning. BCS and non-BCS makes sense. But high major, major, mid-major, 1/4 major are meaningless.[/quote]

Not really- technically BCS refers only to Football

2013 CUSA Basketball members < A10 Basketbal members < Old CUSA Basketball members

If Cinci, Marquette, Depaul, Louisville, Memphis, Houston, and St. Louis were going to be playing basketball in CUSA in 2013 we would all be more excited on returning. Clearly CUSA basketball membership is not what it once was for recruits. I’m a little worried if we will be ok in basketball. It depends on how much gains we make with the last two years recruits and what Major does with 2013 recruiting. I’m ok with being the new Memphis of CUSA basketball. I’m not ok with being a middle of the pack team in CUSA.

We should do what the VCU’s, Memphis’s, Gonzaga’s, Xavier’s do.

We should define the success of the conference, not let the success of the conference define us.

[quote=“ninerID, post:19, topic:26729”]We should do what the VCU’s, Memphis’s, Gonzaga’s, Xavier’s do.

We should define the success of the conference, not let the success of the conference define us.[/quote]

Which is exactly what we didn’t do in the A10.