Recruiting in General - 2006

CMACK the only reason I compare us to those schools is because of where we are and what the average fan looks at. We are fighting for respect in our own town and amongst our own fans. You and I both know that if given the chance we could go toe to toe with the ACC boys, but the community and support we need so much will forever compare us to the post season success our northern neighbors have had. In addition to that I do not want to compare ourselves to the A10… I think we are far better than the programs there and it is simply a cruel twist of fate that has a land in this less than stellar league. I would MUCH rather compare ourselves to the big boys.

[i]Originally posted by WBNiner[/i]@Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM [b]CMACK the only reason I compare us to those schools is because of where we are and what the average fan looks at. We are fighting for respect in our own town and amongst our own fans. You and I both know that if given the chance we could go toe to toe with the ACC boys, but the community and support we need so much will forever compare us to the post season success our northern neighbors have had. In addition to that I do not want to compare ourselves to the A10... I think we are far better than the programs there and it is simply a cruel twist of fate that has a land in this less than stellar league. I would MUCH rather compare ourselves to the big boys.[/b]
I understand the point of comparing us to the ACC teams, but I still don't think they are the measuring stick we should be compared against. And I know most people will, but we can't help that.

As for the A10 teams, we are more consistent than any of them(just like we were more consistent than any CUSA team except Cincinatti), but they still have individual teams who have made more impressive runs than us. UMass of the early/mid 90s with Calipari, St. Joe’s with Nelson getting a 1 seed and being within a couple of points of the Final Four, Xavier making an Elite 8 run a few years ago, ect ect. If you are going by consistency, we are in the top 25 in the country as far as NCAA appearances, if you are going for a lot of decent seasons with a single great season, then we aren’t in the top 3 in the A10.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Oct 3 2005, 07:47 PM [b]As for the A10 teams, we are more consistent than any of them(just like we were more consistent than any CUSA team except Cincinatti), but they still have individual teams who have made more impressive runs than us. [/b]
Since 1980 for some of the higher profile A-10 programs...

Dayton
1981 NIT
1982 NIT
1984 NCAA
1985 NCAA
1986 NIT
1990 NCAA
1998 NIT
2000 NCAA
2001 NIT
2002 NIT
2003 NCAA
2004 NCAA

Saint Joseph’s
1980 NIT
1981 NCAA
1982 NCAA
1984 NIT
1985 NIT
1986 NCAA
1993 NIT
1995 NIT
1996 NIT
1997 NCAA
2001 NCAA
2002 NIT
2003 NCAA
2004 NCAA
2005 NIT

Temple
1981 NIT
1982 NIT
1984 NCAA
1985 NCAA
1986 NCAA
1987 NCAA
1988 NCAA
1989 NIT
1990 NCAA
1991 NCAA
1992 NCAA
1993 NCAA
1994 NCAA
1995 NCAA
1996 NCAA
1997 NCAA
1998 NCAA
1999 NCAA
2000 NCAA
2001 NCAA
2002 NIT
2003 NIT
2004 NIT
2005 NIT

Xavier
1983 NCAA
1984 NIT
1986 NCAA
1987 NCAA
1988 NCAA
1989 NCAA
1990 NCAA
1991 NCAA
1993 NCAA
1994 NIT
1995 NCAA
1997 NCAA
1998 NCAA
1999 NIT
2000 NIT
2001 NCAA
2002 NCAA
2003 NCAA
2004 NCAA

Pretty consistent!!!

But I can understand the frustration of being lumped with weber st. The fact remains…I go into every season with a couple of goals…

1. Beat the Bearcats…(man am I gonna miss that one :frowning: )

2. Win the regular season championship!!!

3. Win the Conference tourny!!!

4. Make a splash in the NCAA’s!!!

I just don’t think that we accompish enough of my goals…and pleasing me is what it is all about! :smiley:

I think its clear from the above lists of A10 team’s post-season tourney apperances, that last year was clearly a down year for the A10. A lot of people think the A10 sucks and if Charlotte was in the A10 last year, we would have cleaned up… but this year is another story…

If we struggle against Rutgers and ECU and USF and Saint Louis… how will we beat Dayton and Xavier and Temple and… Saint Louis?

[b]If we struggle against Rutgers and ECU and USF and Saint Louis... how will we beat Dayton and Xavier and Temple and.... Saint Louis? [/b]

The same way we would struggle against those poor teams and still beat Sincy or L’ville or Marquette. A fixture of 49er basketball the past 10 years has been playing big in big games and playing crappy in little ones.

Interesting tidbit from Hoopscoop. If Danny Nee can survive this season at Duquesne, then he might finally be on to something in Pittsburgh…

[b]Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Our Ohio Editor Chris Johnson tells us that 6’10 Hernol Hall from Lon Morris (JC) TX, 6’6 Antonio Dimaria from Pittsburgh (Bishop Canevin) PA and 6’1 Steve McNeese from New Castle (Shenango) PA all have verbally committed to Duquesne within the last week. Dimaria was one of the best 3-point shooters at the Reebok ABCD Camp and McNeese is a crafty point guard who established his reputation this playing for the Pittsburgh Jots club team. But Hall is the big prize here, because we’re talking about a more skilled version of former LSU center Jamie Lloreda. He also is ranked as a 4th Team Junior College All-American by Street & Smith 2005-2006 College Basketball Yearbook. However, even that doesn’t illustrate just how good Hall is. It’s a classic illustration of out of sight out of mind, as Hall returned home to Costa Rico this summer, instead of attending the top junior college camps that are run by people like Rick Ball and Jerry Mullen. But, if Hall had participated on the circuit this summer, there are those out there who think he would be the #1-ranked junior college player in the nation. He also might not being going to Duquesne, because everybody at the high major level who is in search of an athletic big man would be knocking down his door and, as a result, the Dukes may not have landed what appears to be one of the biggest recruiting coups of the entire fall. So suddenly Duquesne’s recruiting class moves up to #27 on our list of the Top Recruiting Classes To-Date for the Class of 2006. And, even more important, they not only have the second best recruiting class in the league, behind St. Joseph’s and ahead of Charlotte, Rhode Island, and Dayton, but also will go to war a year from now with a 6’10 center who projects as one of the best players in the league. [/b]

Link: Hoopscoop - October 4, 2005

BTW, rumor has it that Temple will get a verbal from PG Luis Guzman [Paramus (N.J.) Catholic H.S.] sometime today. He’s #138 on Rivals top 150 list.

WOW!!! What a boost for the league!!!

Temple not only received a verbal from Guzman, but also from 6-7 PF Mike Scott of Chesapeake, VA. Also hearing that 6-8 PF Matt Shaw of Los Angeles has committed to the Owls as well, but no confirmation on that one. Chaney is also looking to nab 6-5 SG Earl Pettis of Philly.

A-10 seems to be doing pretty well on the recruiting trail for 2006-07. Just read that Dayton and Xavier wrapped it up for next season, with the Musketeers getting a verbal from top 100 Adrion Graves. Even Danny Nee has gotten some good press for the group he’s putting together for Duquesne, though there is much speculation on whether he’ll be coaching the Dukes in 06-07 unless this season sees more Ws than Ls. With the early signing period in November, the A-10 will be looking pretty good.

Here’s a good list of 2006-07 verbals.

2006-07 College Hoops Commitments

Charlotte, 5
Dayton, 4
Duquesne, 3
Fordham, 1
GW, 1
La Salle, 3
UMass, ? (not sure why they aren’t listed)
Rhode Island, 3
Richmond, 2
Bona, 2
St. Joe’s, 4
Saint Louis, 1
Xavier, 3