Recruiting JUCOs

With the current state of the program, recruiting JUCO’s is pointless in my opinion. There is a reason guys go the JUCO route. And we need all the 4 year players we can get so we can completely rebuild. We are several years away from being decent anyway, why bring in more JUCO’s.

[QUOTE=4t9er;395940]With the current state of the program, recruiting JUCO’s is pointless in my opinion. There is a reason guys go the JUCO route. And we need all the 4 year players we can get so we can completely rebuild. We are several years away from being decent anyway, why bring in more JUCO’s.[/QUOTE]

The key is having the right mix of guys and the roles they play.

[QUOTE=4t9er;395940]With the current state of the program, recruiting JUCO’s is pointless in my opinion. There is a reason guys go the JUCO route. And we need all the 4 year players we can get so we can completely rebuild. We are several years away from being decent anyway, why bring in more JUCO’s.[/QUOTE]

first off, we are not several years away from being decent. we should be good next season. second, the jucos being added now are being brought in to be role players. we signed two excellent high school recruits and now we have two scholarships remaining. we need a point guard. if we have to land a juco point guard that would not be a bad thing especially if he can play. now if we can use that other scholarship for a good four year player i would be thrilled. i think you are being to pessimistic based on the results of this season. our team next season will look completly different from our team this past season.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;395947] i think you are being to pessimistic based on the results of this season. our team next season will look completly different from our team this past season.[/QUOTE]

I’m being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for winning 10 games this year, then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90’s. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I’ve been hearing “we are gonna be good next year” for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.

I'm being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for winning 10 games this year, then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90's. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I've been hearing "we are gonna be good next year" for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.
Feel better? Need some uppers man?

I though posts like these would stop after our season ended. Just let me be optimistic in my own fantasy world in this LOOOOONG offseason. Good grief…hahaha

[QUOTE=4t9er;395969]I’m being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for winning 10 games this year, then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90’s. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I’ve been hearing “we are gonna be good next year” for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is pretty accurate.

I'm being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for [B]winning 10 games this year[/B], then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90's. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I've been hearing "we are gonna be good next year" for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.

Give the team some credit, they won 11 games this year.

[QUOTE=4t9er;395969]I’m being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for winning 10 games this year, then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90’s. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I’ve been hearing “we are gonna be good next year” for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.[/QUOTE]

it is realistic. spears is an impact player as is braswell as is bowden to go along with the talent we currently have.

it is realistic. spears is an impact player as is braswell as is bowden to go along with the talent we currently have.
I'm glad we have suckers... err, I mean people like you, or the seats would be completely empty.

I can see Spears being an impact player. Braswell and Bowden are unproven commodities for us. Will they help us next year, more than likely, but the level of impact remains to be seen. Everyone keeps touting them, and hopefully they come in and help us get back to a level of play that we all became used to.

I'm being realistic, not pessimistic. How many impact freshman have we had in the last 20 years? [B]Demarco Johson had arguably the best career of anyone we have ever had, and he didnt come in and dominate the country as a freshman. [/B]The talent we have on the team right now have accomplished nothing, and havent really shown that much potential. If u think injuries to Dew and Wilderness are to blame for winning 10 games this year, then you arent being realistic. In the past 5 years or so, our best player would have been about the 3 or 4 option on most of our teams in the 90's. And our 2nd best player probably would have played about 10 min. a game. Thinking that a couple freshman and a BC transfer are gonna come in and automatically make us good is just not realistic. I've been hearing "we are gonna be good next year" for about 5 years now, and its the same crap year after year.

Yeah, Jarvis Lang only averaged 20 and 10 as a freshman!..I love how any level of optimism is “dreaming” or wearing “green-tinted glasses” and “unrealistic”, but being completely negative and pessimistic is somehow “realistic”…whatever dude!
:huh:

[QUOTE=eason49;396001]I’m glad we have suckers… err, I mean people like you, or the seats would be completely empty.[/QUOTE]

yeah, im glad we have people like me too who remain optimistic rather than people like you who wouldnt get excited if we signed kobe and lebron. id rather be overly optimistic than constantly pessimistic like you d-bag.

JUCO’s are just like freshman: hit and miss. The upside is they have 1-2 more years of experience against better competition than they likely faced in high school. The down side is that they will only be here 2-3 years, and their break-in time to learn the system is not much different than a quality freshman’s.

With that said, give me any current JUCO the level of the guys below and I’ll take them over an unknown freshman any day:

Lamont Mack
E.J. Drayton
Marcus Bennett
Jermaine Williams
Cam Stephens
James Zimmerman
Galen Young
Versile Shaw
Sean Colson
Alexander Kuehle

Now, you can make a list equally as long, or longer, than that list of the JUCO’s who were not impact players. The list for freshman over the same time period is just as long. To say that JUCO’s don’t work out and “recruiting them is pointless” is coming from someone who has not been following our program very long or that is simply wrong.

sometimes jucos must be taken to fill immediate needs. other programs do it, not just us. programs like memphis and kansas do it too.

JUCO's are just like freshman: hit and miss. The upside is they have 1-2 more years of experience against better competition than they likely faced in high school. The down side is that they will only be here two years, and their break-in time to learn the system is not much different than a quality freshman's.

With that said, give me any current JUCO the level of the guys below and I’ll take them over an unknown freshman any day:

Lamont Mack
E.J. Drayton
Marcus Bennett
Jermaine Williams
Cam Stephens
James Zimmerman
Galen Young
Versile Shaw
Sean Colson
Alexander Kuehle

Now, you can make a list equally as long, or longer, than that list of the JUCO’s who were not impact players. The list for freshman over the same time period is just as long. To say that JUCO’s don’t work out and “recruiting them is pointless” is coming from someone who has not been following our program very long or that is simply wrong.

exactly…

[QUOTE=X-49er;396008]JUCO’s are just like freshman: hit and miss. The upside is they have 1-2 more years of experience against better competition than they likely faced in high school. The down side is that they will only be here two years, and their break-in time to learn the system is not much different than a quality freshman’s.

Lamont Mack
E.J. Drayton
Marcus Bennett
Jermaine Williams
Cam Stephens
James Zimmerman
Galen Young
Versile Shaw
Sean Colson
Alexander Kuehle

Now, you can make a list equally as long, or longer, than that list of the JUCO’s who were not impact players. The list for freshman over the same time period is just as long. To say that JUCO’s don’t work out and “recruiting them is pointless” is coming from someone who has not been following our program very long or that is simply wrong.[/QUOTE]

Well said X. It’s a crapshoot any way you look at it.

JUCO's are just like freshman: hit and miss. The upside is they have 1-2 more years of experience against better competition than they likely faced in high school. The down side is that they will only be here 2-3 years, and their break-in time to learn the system is not much different than a quality freshman's.

Lamont Mack
E.J. Drayton
Marcus Bennett
Jermaine Williams
Cam Stephens
James Zimmerman
Galen Young
Versile Shaw
Sean Colson
Alexander Kuehle

for every Carlos Williams there’s a David Booker.

Highly touted freshmen can disappoint just as much as highly touted JuCos.

yeah, im glad we have people like me too who remain optimistic rather than people like you who wouldnt get excited if we signed kobe and lebron. id rather be overly optimistic than constantly pessimistic like you d-bag.
Please validate your fantasy world with hyperboles more please. Spears and some freshmen that have never played in Lutz's system are not equal to Kobe and Lebron. :lmao:

If you really think a couple freshmen are the difference between an 11 win season and a NCAA tournament season, then I don’t know what to say.

I guess if you think NIT is a great year, then sure that’s possible.

Rodney White
Jobey Thomas hit 60+ 3 pointers his freshmen year
Diego Guevara had a great freshmen year
Eddie Basden played well his freshmen year with great defense.
Dalonte Hill (provided good minutes off the bench)

Pretty much every good 4 year player that I can think of, has had an impact during their freshmen year.

[QUOTE=eason49;396022]Please validate your fantasy world with hyperboles more please. Spears and some freshmen that have never played in Lutz’s system are not equal to Kobe and Lebron. :lmao:

If you really think a couple freshmen are the difference between an 11 win season and a NCAA tournament season, then I don’t know what to say.

I guess if you think NIT is a great year, then sure that’s possible.[/QUOTE]

i dont think the nit is a great year. im saying that we will look completly different as a team next season. we will(at some point) have a backup point guard to give dijuan a rest, at least two or three low post scorers who are also great rebounders who will make phil better by taking double teams away from him. we will have a big time long distance shooter who can take the pressure off our big guys meaning ian come in off the bench where he should be. we will be much deeper, dewhurst will be at least somewhat healthy giving us another weapon in our lineup since he wont have to play point guard. we have two scholarships to give meaning one will go to a point as i just pointed out and the other may go to another guy who can give us points and/or rebounds off the bench. these things have a snowball effect.