Recruiting Visit Question

Noob question: can anyone fill me in on what all happens during a recruiting visit? I have a minor idea but I’d be interested to know as much of the ins and outs as possible.

Sorry if this should be in another forum.

Hot Chicks and …
:biggrin:

Hot Chicks and ....... :biggrin:
You beat me to it.

Go rent ‘He got game’ with Ray Allen haha.

Noob question: can anyone fill me in on what all happens during a recruiting visit? I have a minor idea but I'd be interested to know as much of the ins and outs as possible.

Sorry if this should be in another forum.

I think this is a very good question, because the average person doesn’t know what goes on (I think we all have ideas, but are not sure).

I second the idea of watching “He got game”

I think the use of the words - “Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus” Will come to a new meaning for you…

I only have second hand knowledge of a soccer visit, but I assume the same kind of thing happens.

recruit stays with a player, goes out to eat, does something entertaining. beyond that, not entirely sure.

I remember when I was in school, we were recruiting Jason Parker from West Charlotte pretty hard. I happened to be in the SAC after working out and I heard our PA anouncer going through a mock jersey retirement/ senior day for him. I remember hearing something like, “After spending 4 years playing in front of his family and friends, and leading his hometown team back to the Final Four with victories over blah blah, we will be retiring Jason Parker’s jersey #XX.”

I think he ended up going to unc-ch, but could’t qualify, ended up at UK, got kicked off the team, and finished up at some SC school (SC State?).

EDIT: Here is a good summary of his college career. crazy stuff!!

http://bearcatnews.com/recruiting/bio/51

So kind of like the Nick Nolte movie “Blue Chips!”

We wine and dine them, take them around in a limo, show them how awesome the school is, and do anything they want us to.

The only thing that is a no-go is flying in a recruit and landing on campus in a helicopter. (They tried to do that with a big-name recruit here once.)

So… all the smart ass responses tell me knowbody know what the hell goes on huh… :blink:

[QUOTE=EE9er;403908]So… all the smart ass responses tell me knowbody know what the hell goes on huh… :blink:[/QUOTE]

They go to Baby Dolls

Back in January of 1992, when I was a senior in high school, I went on an official visit to BYU for football.

They flew me and my Mom out. We stayed in a nice hotel with a mountain view. We went and ate dinner with other recruits and their families and coaches, etc.

I had a couple of brothers living out there at the time and they even got to come.

An outstanding dinner.

We went the next morning to breakfast in the big suites overlooking the stadium, t-bone steaks, eggs, etc.

We toured facilities, etc.

Then we went up on moutain resort area and went, SNOWMOBILING! Awesome!

We ate lunch somewhere up there on the mountain, and it was again, outstanding. I remember a mountain size tray of nachos with all the stuff on top.

More facilities tours.

That saturday night, we went to the BYU basketball game.

I chose to stay at my brothers house instead of staying with a player, but i heard the others talk about the parties.

The next morning, breakfast at the stadium again. And a one on one meeting with LaVell Edwards, head coach at the time.

I met some of the players of course along the way.

Pretty sweet stuff.

I worked in football operations and video at Wake Forest for a couple years and they did the jerseys with names on the back and PA introductions at the stadium with name on the video screens, nice dinners, etc.

But wake also did academic presentations.

I ended up playing at Elon, so not quite as extravagant as BYU or wake.

That’s my experience, i assume it would be similar in basketball.

Thanks

I think this is a very good question, because the average person doesn't know what goes on (I think we all have ideas, but are not sure).

The average fan doesn’t know how good a recruiting visit is.:tongue:

I know they used to take guys to “Top of the Tower” for dinner.

They go to Baby Dolls

So that’s why we miss out on a lot of good recruits…

[QUOTE=mineshaft;403949]I know they used to take guys to “Top of the Tower” for dinner.[/QUOTE]
is that the restaurant at Charlotte City Club or what is now Bentley’s on 27? Those are the only two restaurants in Charlotte that have a view and the first one is private.

[QUOTE=Niner National;404003]is that the restaurant at Charlotte City Club or what is now Bentley’s on 27? Those are the only two restaurants in Charlotte that have a view and the first one is private.[/QUOTE]

Dan Devos took me to the City Club. He got 2 FSLs out of it for the effort!:thumbsup:

Damn I should have held out longer before signing up for my FSL. I didn’t get a dinner.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;404004]Dan Devos took me to the City Club. He got 2 FSLs out of it for the effort!:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

all I got was some KFC Popcorn Chicken. Of course, I did have a choice of Papst Blue Ribbon or Boones Farm.