Report: Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

There were some threads about conference realingment earlier this week, but they may have been lost when NN.N went down. Specifically, the PAC10 is looking to expand and Colorado has been rumored as a target, which would make the BIG12 go into search mode.

Now, this: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/report-big-ten-texas-have-initial-talks/

Don’t get that at all… The Big 12 is a better football league and Hoops is right there if not a touch better than the Big 10… I guess Texas and OU could go back to the old Big 8, SWC days and play every year

My jaw would absolutely hit the floor if this happened. Texas has such great rivalries with schools like Oklahoma - what’s their incentive to leave? Is it the Big Ten Network money?

Average pay out per per Big 12 school: $15mil

Average pay out per per Big 11 school: $25mil

So there’s $10 million reason why Texas might consider this offer, but I agree, it would be very odd if it happened.

That is the 1st thing I thought but then I remembered they werent in the same league for a loooong time, Texas was in the Southwest and OU in the Big 8.

IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

If that is the case, Texas is out by default.

Laws are meant to be broken.

[quote=“Lew, post:6, topic:22367”]IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

If that is the case, Texas is out by default.[/quote]

Three team expansion: Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou.

Could you imagine?

[quote=“survivor45, post:8, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:6, topic:22367”]IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

Could you imagine?[/quote]

I started to do my hypothetical fallout for this situation, but it gave me a headache.

Something like this would have a much bigger impact than the ACC expansion a few years ago. This would be huge.

[quote=“Lew, post:9, topic:22367”][quote=“survivor45, post:8, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:6, topic:22367”]IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

I started to do my hypothetical fallout for this situation, but it gave me a headache.

Something like this would have a much bigger impact than the ACC expansion a few years ago. This would be huge.[/quote]

Collegesportsinfo guessed that the Big Ten could expand to as many as five schools. I wouldn’t go that far, but I could see three teams accepting an invite. My guess is two from the Big East and one from the Big XII.

[quote=“survivor45, post:10, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:9, topic:22367”][quote=“survivor45, post:8, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:6, topic:22367”]IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

Something like this would have a much bigger impact than the ACC expansion a few years ago. This would be huge.[/quote]

Collegesportsinfo guessed that the Big Ten could expand to as many as five schools. I wouldn’t go that far, but I could see three teams accepting an invite. My guess is two from the Big East and one from the Big XII.[/quote]

I think its three from the Big East:

Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:11, topic:22367”][quote=“survivor45, post:10, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:9, topic:22367”][quote=“survivor45, post:8, topic:22367”][quote=“Lew, post:6, topic:22367”]IIRC, one of the Big Ten bylaws states that any expansion must be exclusive to schools in a state which shares a border to the current Big Ten membership footprint.

Collegesportsinfo guessed that the Big Ten could expand to as many as five schools. I wouldn’t go that far, but I could see three teams accepting an invite. My guess is two from the Big East and one from the Big XII.[/quote]

I think its three from the Big East:

Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse[/quote]

I really think that that scenario could drive a wedge between the football and basketball schools, but I don’t think Syracuse is going anywhere unless the split happens.

Rollin rollin rollin, keep that quote tree rollin…

I’d love to see them take three from the Big East. That would have to help whatever small odds we have now. If that happened in 2012 or 2013, timing might be okay. We could join for all sports but football. Being in the Big East would increase interest/attendance and hopefully we could move up after our third season in FCS and join for football. Please let this work, please let this work.

Marshall, ODU, Charlotte-Consecutive states rule.

Also, West Kentucky, Memphis, Charlotte.

Hey bertjo44 has a pretty good point.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:14, topic:22367”]Marshall, ODU, Charlotte-Consecutive states rule.

Also, West Kentucky, Memphis, Charlotte.[/quote]

Louisville, Memphis, Charlotte?

TCU would march right in to the Big 12 and fill that Texas gap.

TCU would NOT fill the Texas gap if Texas left.

What about UTSA, 49rfootballnow? ::slight_smile:

Um…no

No school could replace TEXAS in the Big 12, not even Notre Dame.