Retro Uni's for TCU Game?

Does anyone know if we are wearing the throwback gold UNC-C jerseys? That would rule b/c those jerseys were the $hit!!! We should make gold jerseys a 3rd jersey that we wear from time to time. If not the gold ones, atleast some black ones.

In 01-02 we actually wore black road jerseys more than we wore the green ones. We also wore black several times in 02-03. They were okay, but nothing spectacular.

Man, the gold UNCC jersey’s would be sweet. I’d be thinking that I was a kid again watching Dink and Cedric Ball, etc.

I never thought the gold or black jerseys were anything special. And neither was our play in the games we wore them in. The first time we wore gold was vs a Hersey Hawkins led Bradley team that waxed us on ESPN 98-82 at what’s now Cricket Arena. I guess that set the tone for me. As for the black, again I don’t remember any games where we did much in them. Maybe someone else does.
I say if we want to do retro for this one special game, break out the white UNCC threads. Now that shirt was worn by the best NINER teams EVER.

Disclaimer: Before you get your panties in a wad, I believe the name of our school should be changed to the U of Charlotte for ALL the obvious reasons we’ve debated here for years. I like Charlotte on our jerseys now. Go to hell UNC.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 07:25 PM [b] I never thought the gold or black jerseys were anything special. And neither was our play in the games we wore them in. The first time we wore gold was vs a Hersey Hawkins led Bradley team that waxed us on ESPN 98-82 at what's now Cricket Arena. I guess that set the tone for me. As for the black, again I don't remember any games where we did much in them. Maybe someone else does. [/b]
The worst moment in the black jerseys was in 01-02 at Saint Louis, when we lost by 20 and it was all topped off by a huge, audible F-bomb by Lutz that got him tossed. That one was painful to watch.
[b]Man, the gold UNCC jersey's would be sweet. I'd be thinking that I was a kid again watching Dink and Cedric Ball, etc. [/b]

Cedric Ball was a beast!!! I still remember those 2 free throw he hit in 87 or 88? to win the Sun Belt Tournament.

[b]Cedric Ball was a beast!!! I still remember those 2 free throw he hit in 87 or 88? to win the Sun Belt Tournament. [/b]

Yeah, Ball was a beast, Pcon! I remember him from back in the day along with Kenny Wylie, Kummer, Plondke, and some other old school cats. Did you know he even played a few games for the LA Clips? i didnt until I just saw it the other day.

BUT, you’re saying he hit 2 free throws to win the tourney? Dont remember that…He musta stepped up big time, b/c from my memory he was almost Martin Iti-ish from the line :blink:

I pretty sure it was him. We were down 1 with a few seconds left and got fouled and hit both. I remember watching the game in my room as a kid/teenager and when the ft were made, I jump up off my bed and knocked off the stuff off my dresses in in celebration. From that day on, I was hooked.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 07:36 PM [b]
[b]Man, the gold UNCC jersey's would be sweet. I'd be thinking that I was a kid again watching Dink and Cedric Ball, etc. [/b]

Cedric Ball was a beast!!! I still remember those 2 free throw he hit in 87 or 88? to win the Sun Belt Tournament. [/b]

That was a sweet game, but I don’t think we wore gold or black in it.

I’d like to see the stats, but if I remember correctly, I think the gold unis, though my favorite, were “bad luck”.

I was at the game the Ball hit the two free throws with 1-2 seconds left to win. It was the first round game of the Sun Belt Tourney in Richmond. I was a senior at UNCC. A group of us left Charlotte for the tourney about 5AM for the 12 noon game. We were seeded first playing eight seeded Jacksonville. We thought we were coming home that afternoon, but we ended up beating VCU on their home floor for the Championship. We went to Atlanta and lost to BYU in OT in the first round.

The reason for the gold and black uni’s was because half the schools in the old Sun Belt had green as their main color. UNCC, UAB, JAX, Tulane, USA, and I think one other school. The tourney was green madness. Best weekend of my college years.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 07:25 PM [b] I never thought the gold or black jerseys were anything special. And neither was our play in the games we wore them in. The first time we wore gold was vs a Hersey Hawkins led Bradley team that waxed us on ESPN 98-82 at what's now Cricket Arena. I guess that set the tone for me. As for the black, again I don't remember any games where we did much in them. Maybe someone else does. I say if we want to do retro for this one special game, break out the white UNCC threads. Now that shirt was worn by the best NINER teams EVER.

Disclaimer: Before you get your panties in a wad, I believe the name of our school should be changed to the U of Charlotte for ALL the obvious reasons we’ve debated here for years. I like Charlotte on our jerseys now. Go to hell UNC. [/b]

Yeah, the Univeristy of Charlotte sounds so much better… WE ARE STUDENTS, HOW DO WE CHANGE IT?

Last year, Pat McCrory came to campus to try to rally students to get the name changed. I can’t remember whether or not a petition went into circulation.

It’s already been discussed, but if we are going to wear jerseys from our past, the Final Four jerseys are the ones that should be worn… and we should make sure everyone knows we are wearing our Final Four jerseys… including ESPN Sportscenter.

Woodman- I was in Richmond for that game also…that was awesome.

Cedric was the man. He lived across the hall from my wife while we were in school. My roommate played on the team so I kinda knew him. Ced caught word I was on the trail of the future Mrs. and called me from a party they were throwing one night and pretended to be her. I could hear her in the background trying to get the phone from him…It was classic. Ced was a lot like Shannon Sharpe…a real nut.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF+Jan 23 2005, 08:33 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (UNCCTF @ Jan 23 2005, 08:33 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Woodman[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 09:15 PM [b] I was at the game the Ball hit the two free throws with 1-2 seconds left to win. It was the first round game of the Sun Belt Tourney in Richmond. I was a senior at UNCC. A group of us left Charlotte for the tourney about 5AM for the 12 noon game. We were seeded first playing eight seeded Jacksonville. We thought we were coming home that afternoon, but we ended up beating VCU on their home floor for the Championship. We went to Atlanta and lost to BYU in OT in the first round.

The reason for the gold and black uni’s was because half the schools in the old Sun Belt had green as their main color. UNCC, UAB, JAX, Tulane, USA, and I think one other school. The tourney was green madness. Best weekend of my college years. [/b]

You’re probably thinking of South Florida. It used to be watching us play at USF or UAB was weird for me because the colors were so similar. Recently I believe we’ve completely done away with the gold/yellow to maybe create some uniqueness.

Bring back the GOLD!!!

[i]Originally posted by JNinerGreen[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 11:37 PM [b] or when we went up to louisville two years ago.. we got beat 100-59 in the black uni's.. i think they were retired after that game.. good thing too [/b]
Ah yes, I remember that game well. The band was in Memphis for the womens conference tournament, and after the women had been beaten in the semifinals (making it a bad day already), we walked to Jillian's on Beale Street to watch the Niners on the big screen. So there we are, all wearing our Niner gear in another town, watching as our team gets dispatched by 41 points. We were mortified, needless to say.