Revolving door

The recent departure of Martin Iti continues the disturbing trend of players leaving Charlotte before their time. He was obviously not happy here and that is never a good sign. Between quality recruits wanting out, and Bobby pushing others out the door it makes me question his recruiting skills and his ability to handle his players. I know for a fact he is not very popular with many of the players, which isn’t exactly rare in college basketball, but it still isn’t a great scenario.

Before some of you jump on me and tell me what a head case Iti is and how he was no good anyway, remember how most of you labled him the savior of our program when he came here. He was the guy that was going to deliver another final four. Even Lutz early-called Iti’s success by pointing to him in the stands at the end of the 2002 season when he promised “we’ll be back”. The amount of bandwagon jumping on this board since yesterday is disgusting and you should all be ashamed.

Bottom line is that we knew what we were getting into with Iti. He is what I expected…a 6’8" seven footer with no heart, physical strength or vertical leap.
My problem is with the quality of character we recruit and our inability to keep them here.

Agreed PI, this is a distrubing trend. Iti had lot of upside, and for some reason did’nt see it getting developed at Charlotte. Declaring for the draft at least sent a strong signal to Lutz that Iti wanted special attention, both on and off the court. Don’t know what to say about it all, but I can’t believe a comprimise could not be had.

Oh yeah, this adds to the rap that big men should not go to Charlotte 'cuz we don’t know how to develop them. Huggs used this more than once.

I consider Martin leaving a negative. I wish him the best.

What’s next?

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 09:39 AM [b] He is what I expected...a 6'8" seven footer with no heart, physical strength or vertical leap. My problem is with the quality of character we recruit and our inability to keep them here. [/b]

If we’re recruiting kids with poor character…I don’t want to keep them!

Give me guys that WANT to be here and have heart and desire. Winning will come even with marginally talented kids if they listen, play together and give all out effort.

Good riddance to any kid that doesn’t want to be here…that doesn’t want to be part of a team…that cares for noone other than himself. We’re much better off without them, reguardless of their size or potential.

One thing we should remember…where was Iti the summer prior to his freshman year? Australia. Where has Iti been for some time? Nobody here seems to know. Iti and his Guardian knew he was not going to be the man last year or this year…thats CW’s job, so they obviously blame our program for his lack of progress. What a fiasco this has become…what an embarrassment for this program.

[i]Originally posted by KissMyAxe[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 01:30 PM [b] One thing we should remember....where was Iti the summer prior to his freshman year? Australia. Where has Iti been for some time? Nobody here seems to know. Iti and his Guardian knew he was not going to be the man last year or this year...thats CW's job, so they obviously blame our program for his lack of progress. What a fiasco this has become......what an embarrassment for this program. [/b]
Agreed. Comming on the heels of the Vincent Grier fiasco makes this seem like a biggger problem and an even bigger embarrssment.

Here is my problem with this whole situation. These big men come to our school and none of them ever stick around for the summer. Matas Nip. did the same thing and he didn’t develop. Iti does it and doesn’t develop. Then these guys complain that they don’t develop.