Rhino Times on the Football Stadium

Keep in mind this is a conservative-leaning paperā€¦

[URL]http://charlotte.rhinotimes.com/Blog-7563.112113-8000.112113_Hitch_and_Go_Stadium_Audible.html[/URL]

I submitted a replyā€¦

Your distaste for use of tax payers dollars in understandable and clear. However, you make no mention of the millions that Charlotte athletics has proposed for renovation of Memorial in the case of this option. That's all this is, an option, and a temporary one at that. Nothing is final yet. But they have a figure next to this option to keep the load off of taxpayers. As for your last statement, it is interesting how quickly you go from "protect the taxpayers" to anti-football. Football at Charlotte is something that is happening now and if it doesn't start at Memorial then there will be no cost to taxpayers as state funding can not be used for atheltics in NC. Just figured I would put some facts out there. Thanks for the article though. It is good to see such interest in this topic.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;367875]I submitted a replyā€¦[/QUOTE]

I did too. Mine was a little more aggressiveā€¦ basically said ā€œCounty, help us pay for it, or find another place for high school football games.ā€

A couple thingsā€¦first the Rhino is right, meck taxpayers should not fund our facility even if shared.

Second, donā€™t be surprised if we do what unc-ch is currently doing by getting a solid downpayment 10-15m then bonding the rest (mortgage).

Last, there is no way we do Memorial imho. Some sort of Belk upgrade or entire new 20k facility will happen on campus. We are talking 3 yrs from now before work has to begin.

The best local blog for this stuff is the meck deck, they suppoert us. And the rhino just cancelled publication and went net only.

If we do go memorial, I think we should start a tradition along with it.

We go down to the HS football game the night before, party afterwards, sleep in a tent/rv, and get up early to tailgate for the next dayā€™s game.

If we do go memorial, I think we should start a tradition along with it.

We go down to the HS football game the night before, party afterwards, sleep in a tent/rv, and get up early to tailgate for the next dayā€™s game.

Youā€™d have to keep some of these older guys away from the HS girls.

Mecklenburg county has already made it clear that they plan to renovate Memorial stadium. Charlotte football would merely expedite the process. Thatā€™s what I responded with.

clt says once again the elite maverick right wing media is bringing us down.

clt says once again the elite maverick [B]right wing[/B] media is bringing us down.

easy there cltā€¦

How about the County / City help us finance our stadium in return the county / City could use our facilities to host State / Regional High-School Games? This would bring more events to our campus and help us get some of this young talent familiar with our programsā€¦ sort of a secret way of recruiting :slight_smile:

Or another Ideaā€¦ How about we get a deal with Verizon Wireless Amphitheaterā€¦ Build a super facility to be used by the school and for concerts?

[QUOTE=niner007;368421]How about the County / City help us finance our stadium in return the county / City could use our facilities to host State / Regional High-School Games? This would bring more events to our campus and help us get some of this young talent familiar with our programsā€¦ sort of a secret way of recruiting :)[/QUOTE]

This option was mentioned in the Business Journal article recently. There is a thread about it somewhere around here.

[QUOTE=niner007;368422]Or another Ideaā€¦ How about we get a deal with Verizon Wireless Amphitheaterā€¦ Build a super facility to be used by the school and for concerts?[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. This company will never go under unless the CEOs gut it. Even the homeless have cell phones.

Or another Idea... How about we get a deal with Verizon Wireless Amphitheater... Build a super facility to be used by the school and for concerts?
Don't see that happening. They rarely sell out as it is and VWi is still nice and well kept. Our "super facility" would see at-most 4 concerts a year and that would be a rare year.

I agree with the point that tax payer money should not be used if it is only for renovation for our use. If they already have it planned then I donā€™t see it being as bad. The writer didnā€™t have to take such a pissy attitude tho.

But yea, I highly doubt we are forced to go the Memorial Stadium route. On campus stadium ftw.

meck has to renovate it anyway and has plans to, so I donā€™ see what the fuss is. The county is actually getting off cheaper with us paying part of it. Of course it wonā€™t be reported that way though. That being said, I would much rather have an on campus stadium anyway.