Rice Post Game Thread

I’ve sat in the Upper deck and Lower deck. The sound quality is poor in both places.[/quote]When Halton was first built, I thought it was just my hearing (don’t hear all that well) but to this day I’ve yet to understand a single word from the PA announcer. Other arenas don’t have this problem so what’s up? I know they’re aware of it because some years ago I was told they spent thousands for an audio guy to tackle the problem. If he did anything I can’t tell it. It sure would be nice to understand some of the game situations as well as halftime ceremonies .[/quote]

sound sucks at basketball and football which makes me think it has more to do with the people running the sound at events than the equipment[/quote]

ding ding ding

[quote=“woodniner, post:40, topic:30170”]I do not understand the attendance at all. the student section was awful. I do not understand why we cannot put a little effort into getting the students out of the dorms to the gym. We played at the Big I when I was in school and we always filled both end zones and the enrollment was 10k at the time with most living at home with Mom and Dad. We just half way do things and never put the effort in to make it a top-notch program.[/quote]The students supported the program very well for a long time.

A decade of mostly losing will do that. There are too many entertainment options from the comfort of your dorm room today to go watch a losing product.

Our losses this year have mostly still been fun to watch, but many students are simply going to look at the record and say “we suck, I’m not going to a game.”

It’ll get better as we win. Promotions can help get students out to games too, but I imagine it is hard to get sponsorships for anything like that right now since our performance and attendance has been so poor.

Typing “wow” seems underwhelming…but WOW! So, this is what good coaching looks like…haven’t seen it in over a decade or so. Tomorrow will be fun, a chance to get to 6-6 in conference…WOW. Niners rising!

[quote=“s9er, post:24, topic:30170”]What a win…

Going forward, the most important thing Price can do is continue to get Beans meaningful minutes and build the confidence. Obviously Big Joe is the best big man in CUSA and will get most of the run, but picking spots for Beans is huge. He really is the most important guy for next year.[/quote]

Totally agree. I believe Price has the dilemma where he wants to win the actual game at hand. Which Uchebo gives us the best chance of that. But we also really need Benas to get as much valuable game time minutes as possible.

[quote=“Normmm, post:44, topic:30170”][quote=“s9er, post:24, topic:30170”]What a win…

Going forward, the most important thing Price can do is continue to get Beans meaningful minutes and build the confidence. Obviously Big Joe is the best big man in CUSA and will get most of the run, but picking spots for Beans is huge. He really is the most important guy for next year.[/quote]

Totally agree. I believe Price has the dilemma where he wants to win the actual game at hand. Which Uchebo gives us the best chance of that. But we also really need Benas to get as much valuable game time minutes as possible.[/quote]

Win the game. That is the most important thing.

[quote=“s9er, post:24, topic:30170”]What a win…

He said post game that he really wants an 8 man rotation. That leaves Camidge and Beans as the ones who need to make it happen.

Lots of winnable games left on the schedule. I’m excited to see how a young team that is gaining confidence finishes it out.

We are currently a 7 seed, could we sneak in to the top 4? :-X

[size=1em]Someone in the SB asked how many 20 point wins Major had. So I went and looked again at “easy” wins. I count easy as a 15 point or more win since you can be up 6 or so and end up with a 10-12 point win based on fouls.

Major
[font=verdana]8 15 or more point wins in 4 1/2 years[/font]
4 of those were 20 or more point wins in 4 1/2 years
*None of these games were in conference play

Odom
[font=verdana]3 15 or more point wins in 1/2 year[/font]
2 of those were 20 or more point wins in 1/2 year
*4 of these games were in conference

Price
[font=verdana]4 15 or more point wins in 3/4 year[/font]
[font=verdana]2 of those were 20 or more point wins in 3/4 year[/font]
1 of those 30 or more point wins in 3/4 year

• 2 of these games were OOC 2 were in conference

Looking back its astounding how many really bad teams we played and how many times we lost by 15 or more over the past 5 years.[/size]

The thing I really hated about Major, was the lack of mental strength. We never could consistently keep a blow out lead, we often collapsed in close games and it seemed win or lose, we would always make critical errors down the stretch.

For me, Mark Prices tenure here will be successful if he eliminates that from the program. We already have the recruiting advantages and weak conference where if Price can just get us to play solid ball, we could become flagship program for the conference.

If that is going to happen we need to win 6 of the last 7 and hope ODU/LT slip up. ODU is playing really well right now and they have the same opponents remaining.

It’s refreshing to be excited about the basketball program again.

This was a fantastic look into how well the Niners can play when they are on their game. clt is right I think we can cause some havoc in the C-USA tournament truthfully.
The first half was some deplorable basketball, but that second half was the best half of basketball I’ve seen us play in a very long time. Adjustments were made and we took control, didn’t see much of that under Majors.
I’m excited to see how they play vs North Texas on Saturday. A win there and we are 6-6 in conference play and tied for 6th with UTEP.

67, in the 1st half against Wofford in 1975.

We are 2/3 through conference play, and here is where teams stand. (Data is from conference website. I do not know how they are resolving ties, etc., and since this will be outdated tomorrow, it does not seem worth digging into.)

I’ve sat in the Upper deck and Lower deck. The sound quality is poor in both places.[/quote]
That HAS to be replaced this offseason, can’t hear any of the talking that is included in any of the clips that they play on the big screen.[/quote]

Just like the sorry sound system in the football stadium

67, in the 1st half against Wofford in 1975.[/quote]

Not surprised it happened in 75. We flat out put points on the board back then. And that was before the 3 point goal.

I’ve been keeping up with how KenPom projects the season to play-out, which might be more accurate than the current status. The imbalance in the schedule lumps teams together and those records will regress towards their mean as the sample size increases. Like how 7 of our 11 games have been against teams projected to finish over .500, and how 6 of our final 7 are against those projected to finish at .500 or below.

[table] [tr] [td]Rank[/td][td]Team[/td][td]W[/td][td]L[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]1[/td][td]UAB[/td][td]15[/td][td]3[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2[/td][td]Middle Tennessee[/td][td]14[/td][td]4[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]3[/td][td]Old Dominion[/td][td]13[/td][td]5[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]4[/td][td]Marshall[/td][td]12[/td][td]6[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]5[/td][td]Louisiana Tech[/td][td]12[/td][td]6[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]6[/td][td]Charlotte[/td][td]10[/td][td]8[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]7[/td][td]FIU[/td][td]10[/td][td]8[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]8[/td][td]UTEP[/td][td]9[/td][td]9[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]9[/td][td]Western Kentucky[/td][td]8[/td][td]10[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]10[/td][td]Southern Miss[/td][td]7[/td][td]11[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]11[/td][td]North Texas[/td][td]5[/td][td]13[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]12[/td][td]Florida Atlantic[/td][td]5[/td][td]13[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]13[/td][td]Rice[/td][td]4[/td][td]14[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]14[/td][td]UTSA[/td][td]2[/td][td]16[/td] [/tr] [/table]

I’ve been keeping up with how KenPom projects the season to play-out, which might be more accurate than the current status. The imbalance in the schedule lumps teams together and those records will regress towards their mean as the sample size increases. Like how 7 of our 11 games have been against teams projected to finish over .500, and how 6 of our final 7 are against those projected to finish at .500 or below.

[table] [tr] [td]Rank[/td][td]Team[/td][td]W[/td][td]L[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]1[/td][td]UAB[/td][td]15[/td][td]3[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2[/td][td]Middle Tennessee[/td][td]14[/td][td]4[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]3[/td][td]Old Dominion[/td][td]13[/td][td]5[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]4[/td][td]Marshall[/td][td]12[/td][td]6[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]5[/td][td]Louisiana Tech[/td][td]12[/td][td]6[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]6[/td][td]Charlotte[/td][td]10[/td][td]8[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]7[/td][td]FIU[/td][td]10[/td][td]8[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]8[/td][td]UTEP[/td][td]9[/td][td]9[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]9[/td][td]Western Kentucky[/td][td]8[/td][td]10[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]10[/td][td]Southern Miss[/td][td]7[/td][td]11[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]11[/td][td]North Texas[/td][td]5[/td][td]13[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]12[/td][td]Florida Atlantic[/td][td]5[/td][td]13[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]13[/td][td]Rice[/td][td]4[/td][td]14[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]14[/td][td]UTSA[/td][td]2[/td][td]16[/td] [/tr] [/table]
[/quote]

That’s extension worthy stuff right there… Gotta lock this guy up long term…

[/quote]

That’s extension worthy stuff right there… Gotta lock this guy up long term…[/quote]
I agree. Gotta lock him up long term with some money too. I know it’s easier to say it, but we can’t be cheap here.

I’m not sure we can lock Price up but we can at least get that buy out amount high enough to help hire another good coach. Who knows, maybe If Price does leave eventually he can also help with his replacement who could be ex-NBA player.

Does anyone know if there is a place where I can re-watch this entire game? I know there isn’t anything on Charlotte49ers.com, but does anyone know if it’s online? Thanks in advance.