Road Wins to Count More in RPI This Season

ESPN Article on RPI Change

Leave to Coach Kry not to like it. What a surprise!! I guess when you get to hand pick who you get to play where and when non-conference-wise, then naturally you would oppose anybody else benefitting from winning a road game. :rolleyes:

“We shouldn’t even talk about the RPI because it’s not important anymore, it really isn’t,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

“We’re going to see that the RPI will be like those eight-track tapes,” Krzyzewski said. “It served its purpose. You shouldn’t use the RPI to make scheduling moves. You should just play good teams. This isn’t a formula game. It’s a tournament game. We determine a champion. We finished in the top of the RPI in three of the last six years and have only one national championship. If it were football (with the BCS), we’d have a couple more.”

A year late, and several thousands of dollars (lost tourney $ shares) short for the 10-4 '03-'04 ROAD Niners. Still, it’s a start.

[b]"We shouldn't even talk about the RPI because it's not important anymore, it really isn't," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. [/b]

Nope, it’s not important at freaking all, you windbag. Niners go 10-4 on the road with impressive wins over Syracuse and SIU. But our RPI is low 30’s. Everyone else said we should be a 6 or 7, but nope, low 30’s RPI divided by 4 means the f’ing 8-9 game.

Don’t tell Niner fans again why its not important, you rat faced dolt! Say it shouldn’t be important all you want, but don’t say that crap anymore.

What a whiner…

I agree with the change. Homecourt advantage is called that for a reason. Majority of teams protect home court and at some places, it’s near impossible to win. To me, those wins aren’t as telling of a team as winning away from home. NCAA Tournament games aren’t played on a team’s home court, so it only makes more sense to reward teams for winning away from home during the regular season. Unlike Coach K, I like the ruling. Should be a fair equalizer when selecting the 64.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 03:42 PM [b] NCAA Tournament games aren't played on a team's home court [/b]
...unless you're Duke, in which case the committee makes sure you're nice and cozy at Greensboro Coliseum every year for rounds 1 & 2. Gotta make sure the [i]appearance[/i] of fairness is maintained alongside the heavy assist on making the Sweet 16. And apologies from the committee for making the Kameron Krapsies have to actually drive more than 20 minutes to scream obscenities at everyone.

Puke basketball - “more deserving” than everyone else. Just ask this moron:

:rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 02:25 PM [b] "We're going to see that the RPI will be like those eight-track tapes," Krzyzewski said. "It served its purpose. You shouldn't use the RPI to make scheduling moves. You should just play good teams. This isn't a formula game. It's a tournament game. We determine a champion. We finished in the top of the RPI in three of the last six years and have only one national championship. If it were football (with the BCS), we'd have a couple more." [/b]
Now, that sounds JUST like an A--hole expelling its contents, don't it?

UAB didn’t have a problem with being the 9 seed. Things turned out pretty good for us.

[b]UAB didn't have a problem with being the 9 seed. Things turned out pretty good for us. [/b]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[b]We finished in the top of the RPI in three of the last six years and have only one national championship. If it were football (with the BCS), we'd have a couple more.[/b]

Somebody advocating the BCS?? And a coach from Duke University at that???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

[b]We finished in the top of the RPI in three of the last six years and have only one national championship. If it were football (with the BCS), we'd have a couple more.[/b]

Somebody advocating the BCS?? And a coach from Duke University at that???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s it - world is coming to an end.

props to Jim Calhoun for being an advocate of this change…

Joe Lunardi chimes in:

ESPN.com: Road wins finally getting proper value

And Joe doesn’t let Coach K off the hook either…

[b]What I’d like to do next is take on the rather ridiculous comments made by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (see related Andy Katz story) regarding the RPI. I’m out of time, but the venerable Coach K is wrong … about the RPI, about its use as a forecaster of national champions and certainly about it incorrectly measuring teams (see: Saint Joseph’s, 2003-04) that don’t fit a traditional major conference profile.

Coach K should stick to producing Final Four teams and leave the Bracketology to us. Beside, no one likes a whiner (oops, I mean “winner”).[/b]

Amen! :lol:

[b]Coach K should stick to producing Final Four teams and leave the Bracketology to us. Beside, no one likes a whiner (oops, I mean "winner").[/b]

He really said that??

Hell yeah Lunardi!

[b]Here at Bracketology Headquarters, we have been playing with a Road/Neutral RPI (shamelessly labeled the "LunaRPI") for the past 2-3 seasons. And there have been some stark (but unsurprising) disparities between "regular" RPI ratings and how teams actually rank away from home.

For instance, look at these examples from the 2004 NCAA Tournament field:

Road Worriers?
School NCAA RPI LunaRPI
Cincinnati 11 29
Wisconsin 16 35
North Carolina 18 40
Louisville 24 39
Seton Hall 28 71
Texas Tech 30 63
Memphis 32 55
Michigan State 38 54
Arizona 40 57

What do these nine teams have in common (other than a minimum 15-spot disparity between standard and road/neutral RPI)? None reached the Sweet 16 of last year’s tournament, compiling an aggregate 5-9 NCAA record. Throw out the one tourney game played between two of these teams (Seton Hall vs. Arizona), and the record drops to 4-8.[/b]

Syracuse should be on that list too, as they never stray away from campus until their first Big East road game.

What I hope somebody will do is run last year’s info with the new RPI formula so we can see where we would have come out at. Yes, I know last year doesn’t matter now, but it will give us an idea of how big a difference the new formula will make. Lunardi pointed out Richmond, but we would have also made a 10-12 spot jump with the new formula in place last year.