Rodney Starts

Rodney got the start last night with Martin and Anthony in the front court because of the suspensions of Nene, Elson and Camby.

He played 23 minutes and scored 6 points. He was 3 for 8 from the floor. He had 2 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal and ZERO turnovers. On the negative, he had zero rebounds.

I caught that he started on NBA.com last night, pretty surprising. It’s got to do with Camby, Nene and Elson all being suspended for fighting. I didn’t see the game, but I believe Rodney actually started at PF in an NBA game. Nene comes back for thier game tonight, probably not very likely Rodney will get another start.

Troy Murhpy(GSW’s PF) went off last night, 22 points on 12 shots, probably the man Rodney was guarding most of the night.

It makes sense that he didn’t score much if he was the PF in their offense, he’s much better on the perimeter.

I thought the NBA folded with the NHL.

I agree with metro, who follows the NBA. much less a player who left way too early from our program and is Italy bound?

[i]Originally posted by sf49er[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 12:29 PM [b]I agree with metro, who follows the NBA. much less a player who left way too early from our program and is Italy bound?[/b]
:huh: Just signed a 2 year contract and has made over 10 million so far. Pretty hard to fault him for that decision.....

I agree with Butter, get off of Rodney’s back.

He made the best decision for him. His stock was soaring after being named ESPN.com freshman of the year and he was guaranteed to be taken in the lottery.

You can say what you want, but the majority of the people on this board would have taken the money and gone.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er+Jan 18 2005, 12:32 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Butter49er @ Jan 18 2005, 12:32 PM)
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 18 2005, 01:37 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
Originally posted by Butter49er@Jan 18 2005, 12:32 PM [b]

I didn’t see Rodney guarding Troy Murphy that much last night, he was usually in the post guarding Adonal Foyle

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 02:14 PM [b] I didn't see Rodney guarding Troy Murphy that much last night, he was usually in the post guarding Adonal Foyle [/b]
Thanks, I didn't catch the game, just put two and two together from the box score. Foyle's never been confussed for an offensive powerhouse, but it looks like Rodney did a decent job on a bigger post player.
[i]Originally posted by morningwood[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 12:40 PM [b] You can say what you want, but the majority of the people on this board would have taken the money and gone. [/b]
Regardless of the argument that he's been on the wrong teams, he's been somewhat of a bust for being a lottery pick. [b]But[/b] yes, I definitely would have jumped for the money if I had been in that spot. I can't fault him for leaving early and I certainly would blame the system before I'd blame a kid for making a decision like that.

We go over this about two or three times a year at least…

I am very happy he got his money, hopefully he will still have some a few years from now.

Also very funny about has he signed a new contract.

He gave us what, 6 of the best months of his life, I guess, is that the length
of a college b ball season?

I guess that is why some of you here idolize him.

Some folks say Chris Paul will jump to the NBA, I bet he doesn’t some folks have a little class abut them.

[i]Originally posted by sf49er[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 05:32 PM [b]Some folks say Chris Paul will jump to the NBA, I bet he doesn't some folks have a little class abut them.[/b]
Associating jumping to the NBA with classlessness is way off base. Jermaine O'Neal is generally considered one of the best people in the NBA off the court by what he's done and how he acts. Dwight Howard is also considered to be a very classy guy. The examples go on and one, people who leave for the NBA at the time at which they are the most valuable does, IN NO WAY, make them less classy people.

What would Rodney have accomplished by staying here other than making the Niners a better team? Even if he continued to put up the numbers, he would have been a tweener in the NBA, it would have been near impossible for his stock to rise any higher than the 9th overall pick.

If Chris Paul does stay in school, good for him, it doesn’t make him a classy person.

He would be a senior this year. What a lineup!
PG Baldwin
SG Plavich
SF Basden
PF White
C Withers

sorry, Iti. I’m bringing Nance in offa the bench before you.

Uh, he would already be gone. Last year would have been his last year,

You’re right. My duh.

[i]Originally posted by sf49er[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 06:32 PM [b] We go over this about two or three times a year at least..........

I am very happy he got his money, hopefully he will still have some a few years from now.

Also very funny about has he signed a new contract.

He gave us what, 6 of the best months of his life, I guess, is that the length
of a college b ball season?

I guess that is why some of you here idolize him.

Some folks say Chris Paul will jump to the NBA, I bet he doesn’t some folks have a little class abut them. [/b]

I don’t see the need to bash Rodney either. Yes, I would have liked to see him stay 4 years. But he didn’t. So I wish him the best now. Not sure how pulling for him = idolizing him.

As somebody else stated, it would have been hard for him to improve his stock. Players stock does not always rise. You wonder if these guys question their decisions.

Julius Hodge
Sean Banks
Jason Parker
Shavlik Randolph
Jason Maxiell

I think it is very possible that Rodney’s stock would have gone down. Still, he needed more seasoning and was not ready for the NBA.

One on one, Rodney has superior skills. He has just never grasped the team concept.

I saw another bonehead Rodney play tonight versus Seattle. In the fourth quarter, Danny Fortson popped him in the face and knocked one of his contacts out. Instead of running down the floor, he looked for his contact and let the Sonics play five on four. It resulted in a three pointer. Rodney was pulled and never played again.

He just never learns.