Rodney White - Free Agent

Rodney makes the list of “undervalued” free agents on the market.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ…ents/index.html

Does anyone know if the Bobcats have any interest in Rodney?

Bickerstaff has said he wants “long” athletes that play defense so I do not believe Rodney fits into their plans. That being said Rodney is 22 and can score and the Bobcats need points from somewhere.

I see the Nuggets are about to offer Manu Ginobili a contract. I’d have to think that greatly reduce any chance of the Nuggets also resigning Rodney White should this happen and the Spurs don’t match.

The denver paper reports that the Nuggets would like to try and re-sign him now, but his agent is not returning their calls.

I have heard that the Knicks are interested in him if they are unable to acquire Jamal Crawford from the Bulls. They also have interest in Vince Carter, who seems to want out of Toronto, but the Knicks don’t have anything to give up for him.

I have never been a Knicks fan, but if Rodney were to play there I would root for them, plus I’d get to see him play often on TV. With the disaster the Nets are now becoming because of Bruce RATner, I may need a new team to follow in the NBA.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the mid-level exception salary range? it mentions him getting much less than that. I would think it’s somewhere in the 4 to 5 million/year range. Based on these other signings, I would guess he’ll get something around 2-3 mil per year.

1. Rodney White (21.9 p/40, 6.7 r/40, 2.4 a/40) – When he wasn’t buried at the end of the Nuggets’ bench, White was scoring in bunches. In fact, his per-40-minute scoring rate was nearly as good as Carmelo Anthony’s (23.0). His aversion to defense is an issue, but given that White still is only 22, can fill it up and is likely to be had for much less than the mid-level exception, somebody will get a screaming bargain.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 07:48 AM [b]Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the mid-level exception salary range? it mentions him getting much less than that. I would think it's somewhere in the 4 to 5 million/year range. Based on these other signings, I would guess he'll get something around 2-3 mil per year.[/b]
I believe the mid-range is the 4.5 million exception, don't quote me on that though.

and every member of the press who write these FA overview things seem to see that White is a bargin to be had, but doesn’t seem as if many teams are biting…this is an offensive league, i don’t know of many teams who couldn’t use a guy who can score like him off the bench. sure his D is lacking, but if he catches fire early and the coach realizes it, he can go for 25-30 on any given night. and he is only 22, anyone who gets him into a 4 or 5 year deal will be laughing at the bargin in a few years.

Recent rumor has him going to the Heat as there new starting SF. The still have part of there mid level exemption left from the signing of Doleac.

This would be a great situation for Rodney. He will get some open looks because of the double teaming of The Diesel.

Plus, his defense will not be as big of a problem with Shaq in the lane. Also, they have good defenders in E. Jones and Wade that could take some of the pressure off of him.

That would be one sick starting 5. Miami is going to be pretty good next year.

[i]Originally posted by morningwood[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 10:34 AM [b] Recent rumor has him going to the Heat as there new starting SF. The still have part of there mid level exemption left from the signing of Doleac.

This would be a great situation for Rodney. He will get some open looks because of the double teaming of The Diesel.

Plus, his defense will not be as big of a problem with Shaq in the lane. Also, they have good defenders in E. Jones and Wade that could take some of the pressure off of him. [/b]

For Rodney’s sake, I really hope this happens. It appears to be the best possible situation for him, and a good bargain for the Heat.

Would love to see him with the Heat. Plus that would mean we’d see him and Shaq up here a few times a year playing the Bobcats. I’d buy a ticket for that.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Jul 20 2004, 10:29 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Jul 20 2004, 10:29 AM)