Rodney White makes ESPN list

From Jason King…

ESPN.com: The one-and-dones who fizzled out

[quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:26871”]From Jason King…

ESPN.com: The one-and-dones who fizzled out[/quote]

If he had stayed 4 years he coulda been a star.

[quote=“49er1, post:2, topic:26871”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:26871”]From Jason King…

If he had stayed 4 years he coulda been a star.[/quote]

He was a star. Thats why he was the 9th pick in the entire NBA draft.
He would have been foolish to pass up that opportunity to stay in college.

Rodney is a millionaire and still playing basketball for a very generous living at 30+. I would say he has done very well for himself.

[quote=“sokool, post:3, topic:26871”][quote=“49er1, post:2, topic:26871”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:26871”]From Jason King…

Rodney is a millionaire and still playing basketball for a very generous living at 30+. I would say he has done very well for himself.[/quote]

Ummmmmmm… http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/28/2486027/ex-hoop-stars-arrest-surprises.html

He could be doing better…

Don’t forget. Rodney dominated college basketball (or so he said). I went to see Rodney in the NBA the first time he played against the HORNETS. He would not even sit on the bench with his teammates. If I remember correctly, he was unwilling to exert any effort on defense, which kept him out of games.

[quote=“sokool, post:3, topic:26871”][quote=“49er1, post:2, topic:26871”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:26871”]From Jason King…

Rodney is a millionaire and still playing basketball for a very generous living at 30+. I would say he has done very well for himself.[/quote]

Really!

I can’t fault him for leaving when he did. However I think he had a high ceiling and could have been an impact player in the NBA had he stayed at least one more year, prob needed two. His game could have grown some, but his approach to the game and his mental make up would have matured him into a leader and an all around player.

Selfishly - if he had returned the next year that Niner team would have blown the doors off of people. I am confident in saying that.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Leaving after 1 year was the right choice. More time in college would have given more time to pick at his game and eventually he would have slipped in the draft. He was never going to have the intangibles that would have prolonged his career in the NBA, he wasn’t going to learn them in college.

What kind of “intangibles” are you referring to, 2002?

He didn’t know how to play defense very well.

He was good with the ball, but not so much without the ball.

He was a highly-talented tweener who never embraced the little things that make a player “great”.

If you are saying attitude is an intangible, then I am in agreement.

He did not play defense because he did not want to play defense, not because he was unable to. The same goes for the other aspects of the game you mentioned.

[quote=“49r9r, post:12, topic:26871”]If you are saying attitude is an intangible, then I am in agreement.

He did not play defense because he did not want to play defense, not because he was unable to. The same goes for the other aspects of the game you mentioned.[/quote]

While I agree with all this - I think we are ignoring that had he stayed on campus he could have matured as a player. Plenty of freshmen don’t want to play D. Just saying that with further teaching and development I think he could have been better player - he had the skills and the build. Now we can also argue about if his coach would have gotten those things out of him.

When I think defensive player development, I think Bobby Lutz.

FTFY. Sorry, I love Bobby but it was too easy, I couldn’t resist.

Just to set the record straight, i believe he did a 5th yr in Hs and sat out the first year with us.

Also he was mvp in prestiges dc pro am league in the summer before playing for us, so he was ready to go pro and had lots of good experience.

[quote=“amnesiac, post:17, topic:26871”]Just to set the record straight, i believe he did a 5th yr in Hs and sat out the first year with us.

Also he was mvp in prestiges dc pro am league in the summer before playing for us, so he was ready to go pro and had lots of good experience.[/quote]

He def sat out his first year with us.

I don’t think anyone is arguing he didn’t have the talent to go early. I think the case to be made is if he had stayed would he matured more as a person, which would have made him a better player.

I completely agree with NWA. It would have been amazing to see White play one more year for Lutz, but a lottery pick you don’t turn down. I’m an old fart and was at Dayton to watch White dismantle Ron Slay and UTenn - Extremely impressive and probably got him into the top 10 of the draft. I also can’t fault White for taking the lottery pick though.