Rodney White

He of the longest face in the world, Mike Dunleavy Jr was out yesterday with a sprained ankle. Rodney White got all of 3 minutes in his absence. Sadly, I think his NBA goose is cooked.

The Celtics are 8-1 with Employee Number 8 back. What the hell did you sprinkle on his Wheaties, M9H?

Rodney finally did something at Golden State.

22 minutes, 6-10 for 14 points in their loss at Denver. Apparently, he and the other guy who were traded away, were booed in their first return.

Boxscore

damn hyphen still in his college info.

I saw most of the game. Hot Rod played pretty well - especially on offense.

Scott Hastings, the color guy for the telecast, made a comment that Rodney knew how to score but in the offseason needed to get his head together and figure out how to play basketball.

I think that comment sums it up. Rodney needs to play defense and also do some dirty work - taking charges, grabbing loose balls, etc. Maybe then he could earn some consistent playing time.

[i]Originally posted by Colorado49er[/i]@Apr 12 2005, 01:30 PM [b] I saw most of the game. Hot Rod played pretty well - especially on offense.

Scott Hastings, the color guy for the telecast, made a comment that Rodney knew how to score but in the offseason needed to get his head together and figure out how to play basketball.

I think that comment sums it up. Rodney needs to play defense and also do some dirty work - taking charges, grabbing loose balls, etc. Maybe then he could earn some consistent playing time. [/b]

Don’t be silly… there’s no defense in the NBA.

Right now in the NBA? Probably not. When Riley was coaching the Knicks and most of his years with the Heat? He inspired a league-wide brand of defense that nearly ruined the league.

I’m not a fan of using the zone in the NBA, but I’ll take anything over watching 8 players on one side of the court clearing out for someone to go one-on-one.

Rodney always had a handful of respectable games at Detroit/Denver so it’s not surprising to see him do the same at GS. The problem is that he can’t do it consistently or he’d be getting more minutes. I wish him the best but I just don’t think he’s ever going to develop into a stand-out NBA player.

I suspect that if Rodney would ever commit himself to playing defense, he’d get a lot more minutes. Since he was traded to the Warriors, he has seen action in only 13 of a possible 24 games.

There is no reason he cannot play good defense. He has good size and leaping ability. It is just a matter of desire and being alert.

I would hope that someone has had a come to Jesus meeting with Rodney and told him what he needs to do to succeed in the NBA.

I have a feeling that no matter what anyone tells Rodney, he is quick to fall into old bad habits.

[i]Originally posted by Colorado49er[/i]@Apr 12 2005, 02:06 PM [b] I would hope that someone has had a come to Jesus meeting with Rodney and told him what he needs to do to succeed in the NBA.

[/b]

That would make a big difference in many people’s lives. Has mine.