Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Iā€™m just waiting on pins and needles for the assistants to be named.

Sanchez saying weā€™ll compete from conference titles, bids etc, would seem disingenuous to me.
He has no idea what he has and no idea what it will take to make it successful.
ā€œI will give our players all I can to help them improveā€, is all I need to hear at this point.

Why would he say he wants to compete for championships and titles? I assume that is the case and if he doesnā€™t, he wonā€™t be in Charlotte for long. Like Niner J, I too am waiting for assistants. Iā€™ve heard 2 of the names and seen one on campus, but not sure if anything is finalized.

But the fans and alumni have been managing expectations for so longā€¦and is what caused all of this movement with a new AD and a new BBall coachā€¦he was set up to move on completely from manage expectations to expect something. Expect a winning culture. Expect that losing will not be tolerated. Expect that a priority is being placed on winning games and winning titles.

We need some bravado around here. We havenā€™t had it since Lutz and Diego and that crew.

He took the safe routeā€¦which is fine. But so did Judy and thatā€™s a big reason she is no longer here.

1 Like

Success next season is finishing above .500. By year three we need to finish within the top four of the conference.

clt will judge this hire on 12.31.18

The easy road would be to get up and say we are going to compete for the Conference Title and to make the tournament. I am sure those are his goals but why get up and say that in your opening press conference. To me its a stupid question because in the end that is the goal of each coach and team isnā€™t it. I liked his answer and still do, because when you are at the bottom the first step is to make the changes and work to get better everyday. If you do those then in the end the other stuff will take care of itself.

1 Like

what are the assistant rumors?

I donā€™t know why some of you are so pissed that he said he wants to compete. He only knows turning programs around and winningā€¦ what do you want him to say? Iā€™m no longer ā€œmanaging my expectationsā€ I want to win!

IIRC Mark Price said Sweet 16 was the goal at his presser, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

Yeah, but Mark Price meant sweet 16 of conference usa.

5 Likes

The Judy Rose era was about all talk and no action.

The Mike Hill era hopefully will be about action. I donā€™t really care what Sanchez says in the presser because in 2-3 seasons, no one will remember. What they will remember is the quality of team and how well theyā€™ve done.

If he is able to get the core of this team to stick around, thatā€™ll be much more impressive then saying he wants to make the tournament in 3 seasons.

Judy would never set goals. Mike Hill already has. Sanchez doesnā€™t have to say NCAAs because his boss already has.

3 Likes

#boom

1 Like

clt says the talk wasnā€™t even about winning. Student athlete experience and servant leadership

Iā€™ve got no problem with a guy assessing his situation before making bold proclamations.
Why would he say ā€œweā€™re going to dance in three yearsā€ before seeing what players were staying, what recruits are honoring their commitments, who his assistants will be, and what kind of relationship the program has with members of the class of 19.
Iā€™ve got no problem with what he said at him opening press conference. What he says after in March 2019, interests me a lot more.

In the last 15 years Sanchez has gone the NCAAs 8 times, the Sweet 16 three times, the Elite Eight once and won the ACC Conference 3 times. All this at schools without a strong history of basketball excellence. I am just going to assume when Sanchez gets up in the morning he thinks about winning and didnā€™t know he needed to tell you that was the goal.

10 Likes

Thank you.

#EliminateLosing

#eliminatebadbasketball