Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Was my absence noteworthy??

UMBC

That is all.

Remember when Odom was coaching Charlotte and they lost to Gardner Webb?

1 Like

From last month:

The Virginia system may be a good fit for a quick turnaround for us because it doesnā€™t rely heavily on top level recruits. That is if the players buy in to the system. Not expecting any miracles but hopefully we can become respectable again sooner than later. I will be happy to just see improvement during a season & from season to season. That hasnā€™t happened here in a long time. Welcome to Niner Nation Coach Sanchez!

Any transfer rumors yet?

Way to represent in the Observer article Metro. GO NINERS!

https://twitter.com/BobbyRosinski/status/975891722742968320?s=19

I want him to be successful. I want to win. Iā€™m not excited at all about this hire. I wanted a guy who has been a HC. Virginia plays boring basketball. I donā€™t see this hire increasing season tickets sales next year.
You canā€™t really judge a coach well until after year three.

2 Likes

Solid hire

Was Sanchez found by the search committee or did Hill find him?

Im not super excited by the hire but am very optimistic after reading more about him. I think it means a lot he was with bennett for so long and was successful everywhere he went. He seems to be unanimously respected by the college basketball community.

I dont care as much if Hill made an ā€œexcitingā€ hire. Price definitely fell into that category and even after he was initially hired, there werenā€™t any noticable changes from our fan base. If a former NBA all star doesnt bump ticket sales, a mildy successful HC from CoC will not move the needle so i donā€™t buy that narrative.

At the end of the day I trust Hillā€™s decision well above my own minimal research. Looking forward to seeing what Sanchez can build here!!

I read that it was Hill without a search team.

Hill did not use a search firm. Hill handled this himself.

Completely contradicting my optimistic post above. But i am confused as to why Iā€™m reading so much about his recruiting abilities. He was in the ACC and they built a top program in the country. I dont follow recruiting all that well but I dont remember UVA being notorious for landing top 50 or even top 100 talent. What gives?

I am ok with the hire. He was top man at a great program, canā€™t deny that. Iā€™m ready to hear him talk, then I can make a better decision. I just hope he can sell this program like Hill can.

I think that you have to support the guy until you have a reason not to. Doing the opposite defies the logic of being a fan. He may not be a sexy pic for some fans, but wins are sexy. If he brings those then you will like him. Also, maybe he has some different ideas than his mentor on the offensive side of the ball. He will definitely need to be flexible because unlike at Virginia it will be more difficult to recruit talent based on scheme in CUSA. He better be prepared to put players in the best position possible based on their skills.

What they did is identify non-elite talent that fit their system and developed them into winners. Iā€™m OK with this.

2 Likes

He gave our new HC an extra 1-2 weeks of head start on recruiting and filling staff.

Is the hire effective immediately? Even if not Iā€™m sure he still is planning already.

I think weā€™ll learn a lot about the new coach by what recruits he can get in here for next year. Iā€™m not expecting miracles but Iā€™m hoping he could sway some 5th year seniors maybe. I hope his recruiting pipelines are strong. Too bad weā€™re bottom of NCAA, he definitely has his work cut out for him pitching players.

Weā€™ve had success hiring assistants, if we knew them well and they were already here (Lutz, Watkins). We have not had much success hiring assistants from elsewhere (Major). We had mixed success with the wild card hire (Mullins, Price).

Though I would have preferred it, Iā€™m guessing we had little opportunity to hire an established head coach. The program is way way down right now, with zero momentum of any kind. Price poured a bunch of gasoline on what was already a dumpster fire. An unbalanced team with very little talent. A new AD, but the same chancellor. And a conference that has finished the last three years in 22nd, 23rd, and 15th. Think about that, this year was better than the last two, and MTSU still couldnā€™t get an at-large after dominating the conference, and CUSA still finished behind the Colonial (which CofC plays in). And to top it off, weā€™re the worst program in this awful conference right now. That would be pretty eye-opening to ambitious people. I can see why head coaches might view it as a risky move, smarter to stay in their somewhat comparable job and wait for a good year when a high-major might call.

Given this likely limitation, Sanchez seems like a good hire of the assistants available. I do wonder if heā€™ll play the same style Bennett did, which Bennett adapted from his dad. Maybe we shouldnā€™t assume the Niners will automatically play such a methodical offense?

I also think recruiting is an unknown. Recruiting to a top program is easy, recruiting to a low-level program is much trickier, plenty of guys thought to be good recruiters at P5 schools have flamed out when they had to recruit without all the advantages. Iā€™ll be interested to see how he does.

Iā€™ll do what Iā€™ve done with the last two coaches, give them time to build something. Sanchez has quite the rebuild in front of him, I hope heā€™s a miracle worker, but I think some of you are unrealistic to talk tournament in first 3 years.