Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Metro, are you saying you have insider concrete knowledge/evidence that chp influenced the head coaching decision more than it just being who Hill really wanted to hire?

If not, itā€™s speculation. And ur free to speculate all you want but just comes across as chp hate. I donā€™t care for chp either by the way.

Heck, someone request emails related to the hc hire. Maybe interesting information is in there.

listening to Sanchez now

Dang. Got tied up at work and missed it. Do they make the segments available later, on demand?

Im sure they do. It was an OK interview. Nothing new really.

I recorded his interview.

I donā€™t care if the dude puts out lecture tapes that double as sleep aids if he wins.

3 Likes

Why does it say that?

http://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-ron-sanchez-3-20-18/

John Woodenā€™s philosophy was if I canā€™t control my emotions how can I expect my 20 year players to do it.

Not saying heā€™s going to be Wooden by any stretch but to put a guy in a box because he doesnā€™t show his ass on the sideline is asinine.

3 Likes

I like the hire honestly. I did want Grant from CofC if I had my first choice, but looking at this guys pedigree this is a pretty solid hire.
He was UVAs #1 recruiter and learned under Bennett for over a decade and was there to take Wazzu to the tournament and build UVA into a national power.
Now obviously he has a lot of work cut out for him, but I truthfully donā€™t care if he is as monotone as they come, or Bobby Lutz 2.0 in terms of energy and what not, if he wins I am happy.
Key will be who he hires as assistants, Iā€™ve seen McInnisā€™ name thrown around on twitter, thatā€™d be big, but weā€™ll see.

Iā€™m putting my confidence in AD Hill. The guy has shown me in just a short week, heā€™s determined to right this ship. Iā€™ve been upbeat about him being on social media, being engaged with the 49er community and I feel like Ron Sanchez was someone he targeted all along. If AD Hill had any kind of hand in the last two Florida head coaches, then we should rest easy with Sanchez.

1 Like

This guy wouldnā€™t even be happy if Mike Hill hired him to be the Head Coach

3 Likes

There is something to be said about a calm demeanor and not being afraid to be honestā€¦but there is also something to be said about lighting a fire under 20 year old kids, getting in their face a little, getting them and the fans jacked up and excited about being a part of something special.

Even the bravado of saying enough is enoughā€¦Charlotte is better than a CUSA doormat and weā€™re not going to be that anymore. You donā€™t have to promise weā€™ll win the league. Just donā€™t preach patience. Have enough faith in yourself to just not be afraid to sayā€¦Iā€™m better than thisā€¦Charlotte is better than this. Weā€™re gonna have success.

That would have been nice to hear.

After what weā€™ve been through with Major and Priceā€¦the fanbase could have used some fire and excitement or at least a touch of bravado. It just sounded like a reboot of managed expectationsā€¦and Iā€™ve had enough of that!

We all haveā€¦thatā€™s why we got Judy forced outā€¦right?

The first speech by the new basketball coach didnā€™t move forward with that movement and it is disappointing for now. Win thoughā€¦and it doesnā€™t matter. But out of the gateā€¦itā€™s disappointing.

3 Likes

A little late but I was busy all day yesterday. Iā€™ll drop my thoughts on the hire.

I too would have rather had someone with HC experience but I look at Sanchezā€™s resume much more positively than Majors or Prices. Sanchez was the AHC for the team that spent most of the season #1 vs Price with no real college experience period or Major who was a down the bench. Good indication that he already has more experience running a team than either Price or Major.

He has been a lead recruiter. Yes it was at an ACC school but it was not UNC or Duke, UVA wasnā€™t exactly landing top 5 class talent before their arrival. He had to sell a rebuilding program. I like it.

As for his demeanor hard to tell where that will land. Anytime an assistant takes a head job there will be an adjustment dealing with the media and such. He doesnā€™t seem poor at it by any means, just will take a bit to grow into who he is as a HC. We know what CHP likes in his coaches, a reserved personality. That isnā€™t exactly bad as long as in practice they arenā€™t that way. I hate myself for using this, but Dean is a classic example, was very controlled on the court but according to his players was a different person in practice. I think we can get the person we need in practice and the person CHP wants in public. At the end of the day Hill didnā€™t leave Florida for Phil to dictate to him who he could hire. I am absolutely certain that was discussed prior to Hill being hired. Really the HC doesnā€™t have to amazing in front of a camera, they just canā€™t be a disaster like Major was 9 times out of 10. The other thing is with Hill leading and reworking our marketing hopefully it wonā€™t fall on coaches as much to market their programs individually, they should be augmenting the marketing coming out of the AD. If he can sell his program to recruits then he is delivering the most important sales portion of his job.

I am not a HUGE fan of the limiting possession style of offense, but if it leads to wins then I am good with it. Should provide an avenue to keep some games close next year even if our talent level isnā€™t there. In addition we donā€™t know exactly what time of offense he will want to run. I am willing to bet there are some things he would like to do that they didnā€™t do at UVA. I am also happy about getting some solid defense back.

At 650k per year we didnā€™t go cheap. Yeah maybe not as high as we had hoped, but that isnā€™t anything to sneeze at and hopefully the start of funding realigning based on revenue sports.

At the end of the day the most important thing is for him to go win some ball games. Win them with better talent, better coaching, more intimidating atmosphere - whatever it takes. We just have to get back to winning.

1 Like

TRL nailed it

Donā€™t see him running into the locker room dancing with his shirt off after a victory that sends us to the sweet 16 but I guess I will wait for the rest.

Sounded more like a therapist who specializes in PTSD when describing the players.

Mentioned meeting with Hill AND Dubois. That is usually a ā€œtellā€ on the powers he is playing to. P5 hires usually only deal with AD with their thanks.

"Had not thought about fans " was an interesting comment when discussing his PTSD plan about players. We might need some love and therapy ourselves.

Stated it has crashed and burned here so be patient will take time. This statement is why we could not get an existing HC like Grant, etc. No way a HC comes here with our situation and tries to keep his momentum gping for a P5 job with what he faces at Charlotte.

1 Like

Charlotte: Ron Sanchez
Grade: A
Mike Hill made his first big decision as AD without a search firm, and he hit it out of the park. Much of the talk surrounding this vacancy was a sitting head coach, but instead, Hill went with Sanchez, a guy respected nationally as one of the brightest young assistants in the business. A tireless recruiter who can go into a crowd for elite talent or find undervalued 3 and 4-star players that turn into stars, Sanchez has been a key element to Tony Bennettā€™s success going back to his days at Washington State. And while his recruiting is top-notch, heā€™s also earned a reputation for knowing the game, and I have no doubts about his in-game coaching abilities. Sanchez is the type of hire that can bring a struggling program back to life, and that Hill landed him in his opening days as Athletic Director should give 49er fans confidence that they have the right man for the job.

4 Likes

New AD and new BBall Coach but still the same, tired old schtick from Metro. Pretty predictable to say the least.

3 Likes

Been high on Hill. Settle down little Stephen