Ron Sanchez - New Head Coach of the Charlotte 49ers

Ya know, I have wondered why CHP just didnā€™t offer Metro the AD job.

In all seriousness, give this guy a chance. Trust that Hill knows what heā€™s doing. We have a solid recruiter in a market with a ton of talent and someone who sat on the bench with one of the greatest coaches currently in the game. Trust the process, and simmer down.

The sky isnā€™t falling.

1 Like

Who said sky falling. Said multiple time New hire may be a good one. Flags went off by EVERYONE when he said he doesnā€™t think about the fan base. We all want wins. And no thx to AD gig, thatā€™s a step back :v:t2:

He said he hasnā€™t thought about the fan base yet. Not that he wonā€™t think about them.

2 Likes

He said he hasnā€™t thought about us yet. Why is that a big deal? If I got hired at a place, I believe my focus and attention would be on the program and retaining players, thinking about staff, etc.

It is not fair to say ā€œhe doesnā€™t think about the fan baseā€. Ask him if he cared about UVaā€™s.

And I never said that you said the sky was falling. If anything, it was to get you off of this watching paint dry garbage. The dude hasnā€™t even gotten to Charlotte yet and quite a few are saying how boring of a guy this is.

If you have faith in Hill, stop with the negativity and give it a chance. Itā€™s not like Judy made this hire.

1 Like

The guy just received the job yesterday. I wouldnā€™t expect that he has thought much about us fansā€¦ Heā€™s thinking about the players, putting his staff together, moving his family and telling his kids theyā€™re moving away from their friends . His goal is to win and by winning that will make fans happy

1 Like

Yeah I didnā€™t hear him anywhere say he doesnā€™t think about the fan base. Frankly he can think about the fan base after he puts a team together for next year. Until then I am perfectly fine with him only thinking about getting the best players he can.

Great post WupAss. I could care less about his demeanor or style as long as he wins games and I can come to a game thinking that we have a chance to win. Coaches donā€™t get paid on style points.

I am certain that Mike Hill came in with a short list of coaches and that Sanchez was at or near the top.

This the first top job for both of them and am confident that they will succeed

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UVaHoopsRiffs/status/976156785596948481

Yeah, back to back Final Four appearances would be awful.

I am thrilled with this hire. Lead assistant/recruiter on one of the top teams in the nation. Iā€™m going to trust that Mike Hill knows a little more about hiring basketball coaches than any of us do.

As far as style goes, I donā€™t care if we win games 10-9 as long as we win!!!

May be just me but i love metroā€™s skepticism of every little thing. Shows 1 how fucked up everything has been for fans to lose faith in even hiring people who are competent and 2 somewhat goes along with it but shows our standards placed on the athletic department are much higher than others want to believe and that is a good thing. I understand for you people who are used to it, it might get old

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article206047224.html

2 Likes

I liked the comment that Hill knew more about him then he knew about himself. This shows that Hill did his homework and worked to make the best decision possible. It may not turn out to be a good decision, but I have more faith with Hill than Judy. Judy would have hired a search firm, screwed up the first three offers and then settled for someone with no experience in college.

1 Like

Since he was born in the DR I hope he can recruit more international players especially really good players from Spanish speaking countries. Also, I believe he lived in the NYC area so hopefully we can pull good recruits out of that area. As always recruiting NC and the Charlotte area will be important to 49ers athletics.

1 Like

Sanchez has helped coach some Dominican Republic national teams. I imagine heā€™ll have some connections, letā€™s hope he can leverage them.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::roll_eyes::sunglasses:

At least you keep it lively around here Timā€¦

This hire doesnā€™t exactly excite me, but at least the new Niners will have an identity with the pack-line defense. Didnā€™t have and identity under Major/Price. Just be aware that weā€™re gonna give up a ton of open threesā€¦

1 Like

Open threes I donā€™t think is the right term. Good, but contested looks I think is the right way to phrase it. It is obvious one of the challenges for the players will be closing on shooters and contesting shots. To me though that isnā€™t much different that running a 2-3 against an offense that rotates the ball.

I agree its more of contested threes that will be given up. That is the premise of the pack line which is to keep teams from penetrating. The only downfall to me is that Virginia for the past years has been susceptible to teams who get hot from outside. With that they havenā€™t altered from the pack line at times to alter the game. The other thing is you have to have the right players who buy into play top level defense. I know most people donā€™t enjoy the low scoring but I also notice more crowd noise at times when teams are being forced late in the shot clock every possession.

With that it could take him a season or too to get the correct players to fit any scheme he wants to run. We all though could be surprised and he could come out with his on ideas of how the game should be played. All I know is I canā€™t complain one bit about getting the top assistant from a coach who many have said is one of the next great ones.

We are going to be efficient and not give many second chance points.