Roster needs for 2019

If its not close, then its an indictment on our recruiting.

Healy didnā€™t recruit any of these QBs. With all due respect to them, theres nothing to say he wont prefer a guy he brings in to run his system.

We have to win in 2019. It may be years before we have a bowl window again - we lose too many starters on defense after 2019.

So, bring on whomever will get us to a bowl.

Flat out, we need more talent in the QB room. I donā€™t think Reynolds is the kind of guy that would shy away from competition either.

Reynolds can move around well but heā€™s not a runner out our level of play. Iā€™ll gladly eat crow if he proves me wrong. I donā€™t think anyone will question his toughness or what seems to be a solid FB IQ. Lastly, I think itā€™s far to question his durability based on how his 1 year of FBS play went.

I think itā€™s absolutely an indictment of our recruiting.

and one that in fairness has been dealt with.

I was excited to see Reynolds play especially after I heard what Mike Newsome had to say about him after Davie beat Kannapolis in the State playoffs his Sr year.

I was also excited after I saw him play for us. Heā€™s very tough and very accurate and extends plays well while keeping his eyes downfield. Heā€™s easily the best QB weā€™ve put on the field (with the exception of Klughā€™s last 2 games which were ridiculous).

Howeverā€¦he is small (no matter who you compare him to) listed at 5ā€™11" and 199 means heā€™s probably more like 5ā€™10" 185. Whether it was his small stature or notā€¦he got beat up a ton and came out of most every game banged up at one point or another. So what happens when you ask the injury prone smaller guy to run MORE?!

And heā€™s got an accurate arm but certainly not what you would consider a strong arm. Itā€™s adequate but nothing more.

Soā€¦despite his toughness and accuracy and scrambling ability, he still has enough deficiencies to warrant assembling more talent at the position. Heā€™s certainly a better option than weā€™ve had beforeā€¦but we need more athleticism and arm strength (and size) if we want to compete for Conference titles and win Bowl games.

If heā€™s the guyā€¦Iā€™m sure we will be fine.

But Healy was hired to take us beyond fine.

2 Likes

As 2k and Spaulding indicated I donā€™t think Reynolds would be bothered if we brought in competition. He came here as a walk-on and in his redshirt freshman season worked his way into being our Spring Game #1 and eventual #1. I think you will see more competition mean harder work from Reynolds to push either himself or his competition to be the best they can be.

Iā€™m also under the impression that the Davie coaching staff didnā€™t really help their players on the recruiting front so that be part of the issue with his lack of recruitment. I have heard this from several parents granted that is the parents side but there has been some talent come through that I thought shouldā€™ve gotten a chance at higher levels. Iā€™m not naive to think that size wasnā€™t a factor as well but he has shown that he can play at this level and I think we may have been on the edge of a bowl had he stayed healthy.

I have my doubts that his body can take the abuse of the RPO offense but a lot of that is seeing how it has effected Cam Newton the last few years. As a Davie grad I will be rooting for him to succeed whether he is the starter or not and believe he has a bright future ahead of him after football. As many of you that come from rural communities can imagine there are very few Whit Merrifields that make it into pro-ball out of Davie County so Reynolds being the starter was huge for our community. Iā€™ve worn Charlotte gear in and around Davie since I was in high school in the late 90ā€™s and have never had as many people stop me to talk about Charlotte than I had this season mostly due to his work to become the starter.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve also heard the same thing about davie coaches.

Also for the record, he is 100% 5ā€™11 200. And his arm strength is what got Lambertā€™s attention and his preferred walk on spot. Maybe that will be seen more this year.

3 Likes

Nice to have some additional support behind Reynolds.

1 Like

Well thereā€™s some bait.

Iā€™m looking forward to the Spring. Weā€™ll see who wins the job

1 Like

If Iā€™m reading his stats right, heā€™s played a total of 38 downs in college. -15 yds rushing on 3 attempts, so I donā€™t assume he is an RPO QB.

GREAT get for this staff. Worst case scenario is he brings veteran perspective to the young guys. Best case is he comes in and is an absolute baller.

Can Kean still enroll this semester so he can take part in Spring practice, or does he have to wait until the 1st summer session?

He has not played very much in 3 years so I am not expecting much from him.

So he backed up Quinton Flowers for a couple of years (who, BTW, was probably the best QB in the AAC during his time not named Riley Ferguson), and was then in a two way race with Oladokun to take over last season. However, Blake Barnett, 6ā€™5 217, who had been at Bama and Az State, transferred in and won the job. Barnett had lost his starting job to job to Jalen Hurts a couple of years earlier, and then lost out to Manny Wilkins when he transferred in to Az State in 2017.

Anyway, weā€™ll have to see. He has good size, and he had 3 years at USF, where he did take snaps. But he is not a running QB. Spring practice / game should be interesting.

Has anyone perused the USF boards to see what they said about him?

He beat out a former top 100 player for the backup gig, then USF brought in a Bama transfer QB for this season, so he stayed in a backup role. Heā€™s been behind some pretty talented guys at USF.

The good news about Kean having a similar skill set to our other guys is that our coaching staff can go ahead and taylor a playbook to those needs. I can still absolutely see this staff trying to find a more mobile piece to use at QB, even if that player is already on the roster.

Pros:
Experience to QB room
Competition heading into the fall
Has come from a high level of competition
Highly Rated Prospect
Can taylor the offense to a similar skillset between Reynolds/Pope/Kean

Cons:
Probs not gonna rush for 1000 yards
Not a previous starter (this one probs wasnā€™t gonna happen anyway)

I view this as a huge W for our staff. That does not mean Iā€™m saying heā€™s gonna be the POY in the conference this year.

From what I have read about the RPO it doesnā€™t necessarily require a dual threat quarterback unless I am missing something. It just means the QB is making a quick decision to hand off to the running back or make a quick pass based on what he sees from the defense. I guess Healy has said he prefers a QB who can run so maybe that is his personal preference but that could have been all they could recruit to AP. It may be easier to find an athlete who can pass the ball occasionally than it is to find a true passing QB who can run occasionally. Just my random thinking which is not very well informed.

Healy specifically mentioned preferring dual-threat QBs. Thatā€™s where itā€™s coming from.

You are spot on with that analysis MHH2006, like I stated earlier, that is a viable option. And before any ā€œinsiderā€ reply and say "Well, Healy specifically mentioned that he preferred dual threat QBā€™s, " he has stepped up to a different level with skill position players that he didnā€™t have previously. AGAIN, he will still be able to run a Run/Pass Option style of offense. He also stated that even though he prefers a dual-threat, he is also very adept at coaching a pro-style offense as well. A solid mix of both an RPO/Pro-Style Spread is exactly what we have the players on the roster for. Great playmakers at the skill positions that have proven themselves last year and a few up and coming skill guys you have either over looked, have red-shirted, or have just arrived. Sit back and enjoy what the actual coaches are putting together.

Shots fired at Agent49.