Rumors on Richmond board

Sort of odd since we’re not even in the A-10 yet. Anyway, if anyone wants to go over to Spiderfans.com and give their 2 cents on this…

Link: Charlotte unhappy

That’s very interesting. If the administration is upset about the move, it’s probably from the standpoint of worrying who’s going to buy tickets to the home games we’ll have. Sure, people would have come in droves to see us play St. Joe’s this year, but will they in two years?? Highly unlikely. That’s just business.

Bobblin, I think you are reading way too much into a rumor on the board of a future conference rival. Other than Cincinnati, we haven’t shown that we can sell 9,105 tickets.

As far as the administration goes, why would they be upset with the A-10? Perhaps upset with C-USA, but I don’t see that either. The latter has finally become what it wants to be – an all-sports group that will initially set its focus on the gridiron.

One of the problems is that the average sports fan in Charlotte isn’t very sophisticated. Since they are pretty much force-fed on the ACC when it comes to the college game, they don’t have any appreciation for anything else.

With the NBA back in town, I don’t believe our attendance numbers are going to get any better. Certainly hope I am wrong on that, though.

Do I think the A-10 is perfect? No. There are too many schools and too much dead weight on the bottom. I’d trim about 3-4 schools (Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, and, perhaps, St. Bonaventure) and add the College of Charleston. If the A-10 really wants a prescence in the Big Apple, then add Manhattan. But I’d have no more than a dozen schools.

Anyway, I believe we’ll see another round of realignment when the Big East implodes in a few years a la the WAC did when the Mountain West spun off with half of the former’s membership.

Oh well, just my opinion…

GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Aug 11 2004, 11:55 AM [b] Do I think the A-10 is perfect? No. There are too many schools and too much dead weight on the bottom. I'd trim about 3-4 schools (Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, and, perhaps, St. Bonaventure) and add the College of Charleston. If the A-10 really wants a prescence in the Big Apple, then add Manhattan. But I'd have no more than a dozen schools.

Anyway, I believe we’ll see another round of realignment when the Big East implodes in a few years a la the WAC did when the Mountain West spun off with half of the former’s membership. [/b]

I’m in total agreement here. 12 teams is nice and you can still have a nice tournament and let everyone play in it. There will be more realignment in the future, perhaps with conferences just for football and another league for other sports.

A nice example, Georgia State has positioned itself to move from the Atlantic Sun (24th rated conference) to the Colonial (13th rated) for year after next. That’s a pretty disctinct movement up in conferences.