Sandy Penner returns to WFNZ

Observer: WFNZ to bring back Penner for mid-day show

Big news over at WFNZ. Penner returns in July from 12-3. He became a Niner fan and big Bobby Lutz supporter when he was here from 97-2000. He is also a professional sports talk guy and would be capable of moving to the drive-time spot when Packer’s contract is up. Good news for us.

clt would love to listen to a good sports show on the way home. clt hates packer’s fat ass.

Finally we get some real sports talk back in town. Penner’s return can only mean good things for us. At least now we’ll have 2 shows on FNZ that support us and only 1 that doesn’t.

Now we just need to bring back Czaban(sp?) and it will be like the good old days.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[i]Originally posted by NinerUpNorth[/i]@Jun 25 2004, 01:30 PM [b] Now we just need to bring back Czaban(sp?) and it will be like the good old days. [/b]

True Dat!! :headbang:

What would Penner and GWill sound like though? They arent gonna pull Gary off of MSP, but I wonder if that combo would work.

Would gladly put my mortgage on the line that as long as Packer works for WFNZ, that Czaban will not. Packer’s ego (and it wouldn’t surprise me if his contract didn’t either) won’t allow for it. Actually, I’m shocked that they even let Sandy come back since Packer generally likes to be the best host at WFNZ and in a couple weeks, he no longer will be. Well, I guess I can officially listen to 610AM again, for the first time since March.

Hmmm, this could get interesting.

The “I don’t care what is said, as long as it stirs the pot” attitude drops to only 1/3 of the local programming.

I don’t remember if Penner was Niners supporter. If he is, thats a bonus. I’m just happy to see someone else will be there trying to have a normal sports conversation.

Wasn’t here during the Czaban era. But if Jim Noble was interested in coming out of hiding, I would be an interested listener.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Jun 25 2004, 08:58 AM [b] Hmmm, this could get interesting.

The “I don’t care what is said, as long as it stirs the pot” attitude drops to only 1/3 of the local programming.

I don’t remember if Penner was Niners supporter. If he is, thats a bonus. I’m just happy to see someone else will be there trying to have a normal sports conversation.

Wasn’t here during the Czaban era. But if Jim Noble was interested in coming out of hiding, I would be an interested listener. [/b]

Penner and Czaban were huge fans. They didn’t grow up on ACC basketball and recognized a good program and coach. They were objective and talked about sports nationwide. They drove the big unit around to big college bball games, including our game down in Columbia. They also hosted pre-game events. The one at Saeeds was a classic.

Penner and Packer had the mid-day show at one time, didn’t they? Packer moved to the 3:00 and Czaban joined Penner. Then Noble joined Penner. I would really like to see a lineup of:

Gary
Noble
Penner & Jageler

I believe there was a chance of jags returning if FNZ got the Bobcats deal. Who knows, maybe they could bring everyone back once Packer demands a huge contract in a few years.

Somebody put an APB out for Mike Scarfo as well. The Penner & Noble live remotes at Boardwalk Billys were always fun to go to during lunch.

Packer is pissed as all get out right now, and I love it. He knows both Gary and GWill are better than him. They have appeal outside the trailor parks and Walmart.

FNZ dumped Czban just have he signed a contract, maybe they’ll do the same to Fudge.

[b] They drove the big unit around to big college bball games, including our game down in Columbia. [/b]

That was a blast and very cool of them to make the trip down to join us. They were parked across the street drinking 40’s in the RV…lol.

Being from Philly, Penner is a huge A-10 fan which is a nice fit. He and Czaben were always big supporters of the Niners. It will be the only local show I listen to on 610. The morning show is tired and weak at best and we all know what buffoon John Boy…errrr…I mean Fat Packer is. I hope Fudge is sweating because Penner is miles above him and should take his job and flush that entire primetime format down the toilet.

Maurice "Big Mo’ Stanfield, who has been in several South Carolina radio markets is now at WYSR in High Point, the ESPN affiliate. He’s on during the 3-6 pm slot and has made several slams in the past week about “Charlotte needing a real afternoon sports talk show.” I chuckle every time I hear it so Packer certainly is considered to be a joke in the radio trade.

Big Mo is a huge fan of Lutz and has talked to him on air twice already in High Point.

Yep, I don’t think Penner would leave his morning Tampa gig for the mid-day slot unless there was a possibility of him moving to morning or drive time. DJ Stout (FNZ program mgr) could be working on something.

Can someone hunt down the email addresses for Penner, Stout and Czaban? We should get the email campaign going to show our support.

Speaking of the Page, TC has been out all this week, and if Gary wouldn’t mention it every now and again, I wouldn’t even notice that he wasn’t there. Shows you how much he adds to the show.

E-mail for DJ Stout is dj@wfnz.com. E-mail for Czaban is mailbag@czabe.com. I couldn’t find an address for Penner.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jun 25 2004, 04:41 PM [b] That was a blast and very cool of them to make the trip down to join us. They were parked across the street drinking 40's in the RV...lol. [/b]
I actually rode down there with them. It was a blast. Penner and Noble were hilarious.
[b]Big Mo is a huge fan of Lutz and has talked to him on air twice already in High Point. [/b]

What’s next? I hope you’re not going to tell me to subscribe to the HP paper to obtain the local, in season print coverage of the Niners I’ve been looking for. :smiley:

[b]Speaking of the Page, TC has been out all this week, and if Gary wouldn't mention it every now and again, I wouldn't even notice that he wasn't there. Shows you how much he adds to the show.[/b]

TC? Who’s he? Actually, I totally agree.

[b]I would really like to see a lineup of:

Gary
Noble
Penner & Jageler
[/b]

I have vague memories of Penner & Noble. Plus I’ve heard Penner in FLA once.

While we’re rebuilding the shows, keep Celania. I can’t believe I just said that. As a comic relief/3rd wheel, he’s fine along with 2 sports knowledgable people (Gary, Noble, Jageler, Penner).

On the national show front, dump James Brown show. I listened today and his exchange with Terrell Owens was lousy. Maybe I’m biased because I don’t like T.O. but Brown sure sounded like he was trying to a$$ kiss than ask questions requiring thought. Yeah, I know T.O. might be out of his league with a real question, but the exchange made Brown sound just as bad as Owens.

If “The Herd” is a acquired taste, I haven’t acquired it yet. “Spanning the Globe” is kinda novel. But if I tune in at the wrong time, I’ll get “Welcome back to The HERD…with Collin CowHERD…send emails to theHERD@espnradio.com…now here’s your host, Collin CowHERD”. Stop shoving herd, herd, herd, herd, herd down my throat and tell me something of substance. I didn’t always agree with Mr. Tony’s opinions, but at least it made me think.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jun 25 2004, 12:12 PM [b] Yep, I don't think Penner would leave his morning Tampa gig for the mid-day slot unless there was a possibility of him moving to morning or drive time. DJ Stout (FNZ program mgr) could be working on something.

Can someone hunt down the email addresses for Penner, Stout and Czaban? We should get the email campaign going to show our support. [/b]

Drivetime is where it’s at and where Czaban should have been. Packer knew it too and couldn’t deal with Czaban being the better host. Not many people can carry a sports talk radio show like Steve does but FNZ stuck him on at the worst time slot of the day and I often wonder who/what was exactly behind that because he was far too talented to work the noon spot. And Penner is too good to work a morning show here. 12-3 is a foot in the door but if I were him, I wouldn’t accept any promotion outside of the coveted 3-7 spot. Just not sure it’s going to happen anytime soon with Packer in a new contract and Stout on for likely 5 more years.

As for emailing…Czabe will definitely email you back and isn’t afraid to express his feelings about Packer, though he may have put it all behind him at this point but I had an email from him a few years back where he ripped Packer apart…was great. Packer can downplay that situation all he wants but I know for a fact he’s full of crap if he says it was never a big deal or that he genuinely likes Steve. And when someone calls in and mentions Steve’s name, you can see the hair on Packers back stand up through the radio.

SilvioDante, who were you on the other board? Where did the name come from? Just wondering. We have some interesting new names/characters over here. :smiley: