Sanford Hall Renovation

Looking at the recent BOT minutes. They’re requesting funding to renovate the first of the high rises, Sanford, including brick cladding:

Updated link:

https://secure.uncc.edu/FileManager/sites/bot/public.cfm?file=2012%20Board%20Meetings\09-06-2012\FACILITIES-AND-PHYSICAL-PROPERTIES\FPPC%20TAB%20C%20Request%20for%20Authorization%20of%20Capital%20Project-Sanford%20Hall.pdf

Needs to be done. 13.5M times 4 - this stuff gets expensive!

Ah, the memories. ;D

What happened to the teardown/re-build plan for the highrises? Doesn’t seem wise to invest that much money into a 40+ year old building, especially these cramped outdated ones.

They’re not tearing them down. Plan is to brick them in.

I assume they changed the plan when they decided they couldn’t lose that much space during the rebuild. In addition to that my wife had a single room in Sanford and loved it. If you don’t share the space and have a room all to yourself it wouldn’t be so cramped. I get the impression that having a roommate in the high rises is something that is dying.

Ho House is listed on the Facilities site and they talk about possible re-design of the suites.

http://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/20120910%20Holshouser%20Hall%20Reno.pdf

[quote=“X-49er, post:4, topic:26947”]What happened to the teardown/re-build plan for the highrises? Doesn’t seem wise to invest that much money into a 40+ year old building, especially these cramped outdated ones.[/quote]no reason they can’t last for 40 more years. Once the renovations are done, the buildings will probably be like new inside, and although I’m not a huge fan of bricking EVERYTHING, bricking them will undoubtedly look better than how they do right now.

2 things:

1. Most buildings constructed on campus now have a 30 year life span and cost well over 4x as much as the 13.5 mil. I know this from working on a residence hall build. Structurally, those bad boys should be there for a good long while.

2. It is my opinion that the shared rooms in the highrises and the new development plan for that area are pivotal to continuing the “kill the commuter image that no longer exists” stigma that runs rampant locally (though that opinion is not held outside the region.)

Why? Forced interaction. Highrise living, opposite of being spoiled as it is, forces you to live within your community and see your neighbors because of the shared living space and bathrooms. When I lived in the suites/apartments that we continue to build around campus the places seemed like ghost towns. The ironic part was that a lot of people were actually in their places, but because they had a living room and 1-3 roommates they never left. I actually had friends move from the highrises to suites (soph yr) and then BACK to the highrises as Jr’s because it was so much more fun.

I’m so glad they’re not tearing down the highrises. The best way to get people committed to this university for a lifetime is to make them a part of it. You become a part of your community. Highrises force communal living.

“Ho House”? lulz…

I lived in a suite first semester freshman year…hated it and moved to Moore second semester. Best couple months of my life as far as making friends and having fun…grades on the other hand…yeah…

My daughter lives in a suite right now and loves it. Has friends in the high rises. They hate it…to each his own.

I assume they changed the plan when they decided they couldn’t lose that much space during the rebuild. In addition to that my wife had a single room in Sanford and loved it. If you don’t share the space and have a room all to yourself it wouldn’t be so cramped. I get the impression that having a roommate in the high rises is something that is dying.[/quote]

Yeah, as a single room they aren’t bad. I was an RA in Moore one of my years and liked it just fine. I couldn’t have lived with my wife in one of those rooms though, let alone anyone else.

1. Most buildings constructed on campus now have a 30 year life span and cost well over 4x as much as the 13.5 mil. I know this from working on a residence hall build. Structurally, those bad boys should be there for a good long while.

I’m assuming the 30 years is before major maintenance has to be done, but that’s what I was getting at when raising the original question.

When the new entrance was proposed some 10-12 years ago, the master plan was to raze the highrises and new dorms were to be rebuilt in the same general area. With our growth, it seems that has now changed. Construction materials/costs have gone way up since then to. Just didn’t know that the plan had officially changed, but if they’re spending $13.5 MILLION on appearances I’m assuming the highrises will be there another 40+ years. That’s a lot of money to be spending on siding if the structure is not going to stay at least that long.

I assume they changed the plan when they decided they couldn’t lose that much space during the rebuild. In addition to that my wife had a single room in Sanford and loved it. If you don’t share the space and have a room all to yourself it wouldn’t be so cramped. I get the impression that having a roommate in the high rises is something that is dying.[/quote]

Yeah, as a single room they aren’t bad. I was an RA in Moore one of my years and liked it just fine. I couldn’t have lived with my wife in one of those rooms though, let alone anyone else.

I’m assuming the 30 years is before major maintenance has to be done, but that’s what I was getting at when raising the original question.

When the new entrance was proposed some 10-12 years ago, the master plan was to raze the highrises and new dorms were to be rebuilt in the same general area. With our growth, it seems that has now changed. Construction materials/costs have gone way up since then to. Just didn’t know that the plan had officially changed, but if they’re spending $13.5 MILLION on appearances I’m assuming the highrises will be there another 40+ years. That’s a lot of money to be spending on siding if the structure is not going to stay at least that long.[/quote]
The original link changed, I updated it.

The $13.5M isn’t just for brick siding:

Sanford is a 10-story, 500-bed residence facility (106,096 gross square feet) built in 1969. Renovations to update the mechanical, electrical, telecom, and plumbing systems are needed. Interior spaces will be reconfigured to provide modern amenities. The project includes window and roof replacements, modifications to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, and recladding of the exterior to match campus standard brick. The renovation will also make the building more energy efficient.

Lived in Moore (10th floor) for 4 years. LOVED IT.

I have heard that kids now really hate it, due to the age, out of date, etc.

I understand on a campus tour they take you to the nice residence halls first and then at the end show you the high rise. What a let down.

The high rises are a big part of campus life. To get rid of them would be terrible in my opinion. I am glad they are keeping them and not getting rid of them. Think of other universities, they have dorms that are over a hundred years old.

The key to living in any dorm is to keep your door open when you’re there. If you do that you’ll meet folks.

clt endorses keeping the high rises. a burden for the zep, but worth it.

Maybe they’ll put in a docking station for you on top of one of them?

Maybe they’ll put in a docking station for you on top of one of them?[/quote]

Yeah, you’ll only be able to land that thing to a docking collar on the Dalton Tower if you lose the highrises, now that the Zep Field is a football stadium.