Scam baiting-- my new hobby

I thought you all would be interested in this internet “sport” I’ve begun to get involved in. Check out http://www.419eater.com for details. I invite those of you who have a penchant for story-telling and crafting hilarious lies to join the growing band of internet vigilantes who are fighting back the scammers out there who try to bilk people out of their money. You’ve gotten them, you know, those e-mails from Nigeria from some random guy who wants you to help him get ahold of some vast fortune and he’s willing to give you a large percentage, blah, blah, blah. Well it’s called “advanced fee fraud” or “419” which is the penal code number for AFF in Nigeria. We bait these guys into thinking we are interested, and Lordy you should see how far these baits go. They get these idiot scammers to pose with idiotic signs, put fish on their heads, you name it. They will do anything for the perceived payoff. And it’s all in the interest of wasting their time and resources so that we prevent them from scamming someone for real. The horror stories of people who have fallen for this and lose thousands of dollars is sickening.

This is the most fun I’ve had in quite some time. BTW, I am “Bonehenge” on the forums at 419eater.com.

To NA, MKNiner, jcl and others… you should be brilliant at this.

That’s hilarious. I’ve gotten several of those emails in the past. I usually just ignore them, but now I may have some fun with it. :smiley:

I’ll check the site out later.

I read a hilarious story not long ago about some guys making a fake laptop and having it sent COD to a scammer in the U.K. They weighted it down with lead to make the shipping charges more.

Question though - does your little group ever turn these guys in to authorities?

Thank you for this, I can really use this site. I’ve got all kinds of online, nigerian fraud stories.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jun 29 2004, 02:48 PM [b] I'll check the site out later.

I read a hilarious story not long ago about some guys making a fake laptop and having it sent COD to a scammer in the U.K. They weighted it down with lead to make the shipping charges more.

Question though - does your little group ever turn these guys in to authorities? [/b]

Mostly, the baiter’s goal is simply to waste the scammer’s time and resources, piss them off, frustrate them, make them travel sometimes to another country to try and collect a Western Union transfer that isn’t there, etc… all in the hopes that the scammer will give up the profession, or at the very least keep them occupied with you rather than with somebody who would fall for it. As far as getting them arrested, it’s next to impossible from what I understand. Nigeria and other countries are trying to deal with it locally, but the anonymity of the internet makes it hard to arrest these people.

This isn’t a new scam… it’s been around for decades. It started with telephone calls, then faxes, and now e-mail. And e-mail has brought it to epidemic proportions…

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jun 29 2004, 03:48 PM [b] I read a hilarious story not long ago about some guys making a fake laptop and having it sent COD to a scammer in the U.K. They weighted it down with lead to make the shipping charges more.

[/b]

yeah, that was a good one. here it is for thoes that haven’t seen it.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dumbmrblah/Scam…e%20Scammer.htm