Schedule complaints

I wish we had some decent games for him to come to. Can we just send him to Memphis and Arkansas with the team instead?

Every game that we play is a “decent” game. Another one of those mindsets that need to be aborted just like “we can’t compete for top notch players.” Otherwise StillJonesing and the terrorists have already won.

Every game that we play is a “decent” game. Another one of those mindsets that need to be aborted just like “we can’t compete for top notch players.” Otherwise StillJonesing and the terrorists have already won.[/quote]

This

Every game that we play is a “decent” game. Another one of those mindsets that need to be aborted just like “we can’t compete for top notch players.” Otherwise StillJonesing and the terrorists have already won.[/quote]You know what I mean. You know damn well Halton will be half empty for all the home OOC games except Miami.

Every game that we play is a “decent” game. Another one of those mindsets that need to be aborted just like “we can’t compete for top notch players.” Otherwise StillJonesing and the terrorists have already won.[/quote]You know what I mean. You know damn well Halton will be half empty for all the home OOC games except Miami.[/quote]

Of course he knows what you mean, but that kind of thinking by you and other like-minded fans of ours is WHY Halton is half empty for those games. For several of our “fans”, it’s about who we’re playing instead of our team. It shouldn’t be that way with any program, and especially one with our aspirations. I would love to have great teams coming to Halton each and every season, but it’s secondary to supporting our team, whoever shows up to play them.

Willie, come on up to Halton. We’re going to have teams scared to come play us at home when you suit up for us!!

[quote=“X-49er, post:5, topic:25688”]Of course he knows what you mean, but that kind of thinking by you and other like-minded fans of ours is WHY Halton is half empty for those games. For several of our “fans”, it’s about who we’re playing instead of our team. It shouldn’t be that way with any program, and especially one with our aspirations. I would love to have great teams coming to Halton each and every season, but it’s secondary to supporting our team, whoever shows up to play them.

Willie, come on up to Halton. We’re going to have teams scared to come play us at home when you suit up for us!![/quote]

Every game that we play is a “decent” game. Another one of those mindsets that need to be aborted just like “we can’t compete for top notch players.” Otherwise StillJonesing and the terrorists have already won.[/quote]You know what I mean. You know damn well Halton will be half empty for all the home OOC games except Miami.[/quote]

Of course he knows what you mean, but that kind of thinking by you and other like-minded fans of ours is WHY Halton is half empty for those games. For several of our “fans”, it’s about who we’re playing instead of our team. It shouldn’t be that way with any program, and especially one with our aspirations. I would love to have great teams coming to Halton each and every season, but it’s secondary to supporting our team, whoever shows up to play them.

Willie, come on up to Halton. We’re going to have teams scared to come play us at home when you suit up for us!![/quote]I buy season tickets. I live 400 miles away. My seats are always filled.

I’m definitely not attacking you specifically, hell you used to come out to the GC to watch Summer League games, but it is a prevailing mindset that runs throughout our fanbase and really the city as a whole.

[quote=“NLP, post:8, topic:25688”]I’m definitely not attacking you specifically, hell you used to come out to the GC to watch Summer League games, but it is a prevailing mindset that runs throughout our fanbase and really the city as a whole.[/quote]Starts at the top. I’m just stating what I know is the case. I’m convinced our attendance would be 25% higher if the school did even the slightest bit of marketing.

We should try to get University area high schools to play one game in Halton each year just to get locals in the house and on campus. I bet most of the people in the UC area have never even been on campus.

I think marketing to the city is too broad a place to start. Start local, build from there.

The Davidson game won’t be half-empty…

[quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:25688”][quote=“NLP, post:8, topic:25688”]I’m definitely not attacking you specifically, hell you used to come out to the GC to watch Summer League games, but it is a prevailing mindset that runs throughout our fanbase and really the city as a whole.[/quote]Starts at the top. I’m just stating what I know is the case. I’m convinced our attendance would be 25% higher if the school did even the slightest bit of marketing.

We should try to get University area high schools to play one game in Halton each year just to get locals in the house and on campus. I bet most of the people in the UC area have never even been on campus.

I think marketing to the city is too broad a place to start. Start local, build from there.[/quote] This ^

I don’t have too big an issue with the schedule as it is. I think it is what we need at this moment, but I am not thrilled with it. As a fan I will be at all the games.

My main issue is that for us to get our students and almuni and community on board we have to be playing opponents that are atleast familiar to them. We are not going to convert a lifelong tarheel fan freshman with the schedule we have. With that said we aren’t going to convert them if we are losing either. So at this moment in time the schedule makes sense.

We need to win, rebuild the program and then bring in better ooc teams as long as we are in the AWhatever. A better conference with more known opponents (to our dumbass community) and the ooc teams won’t matter so much. We can talk about being true fans all we want, but for Halton to be filled we need to pull in others besides us and that means better marketing, better opponents, more winning, better talent and better media coverage. There isn’t a magic bullet that makes it all happen - just each piece of a puzzle that has to be there for us to get back to where we were late 90s early 00s.

So, I think our schedule sucks from a “who do I want to watch us play” standpoint. I think it is great from a, “we need to win a lot of games” standpoint.

our games aren’t well attended regardless right now, if we start winning games, people will come regardless of the opponent. Winning games builds a buzz regardless of who you play.

If we don’t win a lot of games in non-conference play, we have a problem. We have to beat Davidson. That is a must win. We can afford to lose to the good teams on our schedule so long as we beat everyone we “should” beat. If that happens, it will position us for a post-season berth. Something we are in desperate need of.

This is pretty much a new team, and we can not afford another 10 win season. It would be the end of Major and would crush the little fanbase we have left. If we don’t win a lot of games OOC or we’re still scheduling this same schedule 2 years from now, we’ll have a problem. For now, I’m totally okay with the decision and it is one I would probably make myself.

I don’t think it’s a one way street. We lack a partnership between students/alumni/supporters/community and the administration/AD.

Whatever it is, it’s engrained in the fabric of who I am that I am a Niner through and through, and will go to the game no matter what. I do think that level of loyal comes with a price and that price is a voice. I expect the university, at a minimum, to always be receptive to my suggestions and concerns. I don’t expect instant implementation, but I do expect thoughtful consideration.

So I ask you, how do we get more “bad fans” (as we’ve come to be called and often like to call ourselves) like a heck of a lot of us are?

I’m looking for something that shifts the equilibrium one side saying “their fault” and another side doing the same.

I also don’t know how people think we’re going to get decent competition into Halton. Teams don’t travel to bad team’s places. It just doesn’t happen. We’re a bad team.

We are even worse than a bad team - we are a bad team that can beat a good team on rare nights. That make’s it even harder.

We’re an RPI anchor too.

really? What’s our RPI this season?

That’s the only one that matters. Coaches and ADs evaluate every game they add to a schedule based on this year as much as the past. That’s why teams have backed out of playing us before or failed to close new contracts.

really? What’s our RPI this season?

That’s the only one that matters. Coaches and ADs evaluate every game they add to a schedule based on this year as much as the past. That’s why teams have backed out of playing us before or failed to close new contracts.[/quote]

We have, recently, been an RPI anchor. You know that hurts our scheduling.