Science building, Pedestrian Walkways

I’ve been hearing rumors about a science building next to the student union and a connecting pedestrian bridge to the stadium/CRI campu for a while and it’s in the master plan. I know that some Civil engineering students had related stuff for senior design projects. Has anyone heard news of the proposed science building/ pedestrian walkway from it to the stadium?

They’ve been trying to get planning money from the State, about $10M, for the last three years but it keeps getting denied. I think it finally went through this year, but I haven’t dug through the BOG site in a while. It’s probably still seven years away before it’s built.

Its planned, but the State has to fund it first.

[quote=“aosbor18, post:1, topic:27699”]I’ve been hearing rumors about a science building next to the student union and a connecting pedestrian bridge to the stadium/CRI campu for a while and it’s in the master plan. I know that some Civil engineering students had related stuff for senior design projects. Has anyone heard news of the proposed science building/ pedestrian walkway from it to the stadium?[/quote]The science building is supposed to be funded next year I think? It will be the most expensive building on campus by quite a bit. Last proposal I saw was in the $120 million range.

I don’t know if the walkway is actually proposed to happen or if it was simply in the master plan rendering.

emf would probably know though. He always seems to have the scoop on facilities.

It is DEFINITELY supposed to happen, but the timeline for the bridge/walkway is uncertain. It is planned to span from the wooded area near the Football Center all the way across (Cameron?) road and come in to the new science building.

nm

The Science Building is the number one priority for state-appropriate funding on campus, but I have heard Phil and others say that it is several years away from happening. A five to seven year horizon is very much the right time frame.

We need to be cautious reading the various BOG docs. Many of those are planning documents that basically ask the campus “If money were no object, what would you want.” The school puts down 15-20 things, and they show up on the list. This does not mean they are actually going to be funded. From my reading the football stadium expansion “request” that many folks seem to think is a sure thing fall into that category. That document is not an actual budget document, but rather a list of priorities for the campus. Folks could easily be disappointed if they mis-read that as an actual budget request or, even worse, and actual budgeted line-item.

That fits what I have heard from the AD and alumni assoc.