SEC refs pull another one out for their conference

If you watched it, Patrick Sparks of UK leaped sideways into Ellis Myles and Thibodeaux made the incorrect call to send him to the line for 3 FTs, with UK down by one & 6 tenths of a second left.

Idiot Sparks hit all 3 (giving UL an opportunity for a Laettner type play), instead of missing the last, unnecessary one on purpose.

This is the same crew that worked our game against Alabama and called the phantom BS jump ball, the loose ball foul on Withers (when he was shooting - loose ball foul??) , etc.

I know, I’m imagining things…

Hope everyone realizes how much I detest taking up for Pit-Ego, but that blew chunks.

Interesting to see that Kentucky went small and applied defensive pressure to climb back into the game. Seems counter to their first half “go big to exploit UL’s inteior weakness” strategy that almost got them blown out.

Garcia was wretched the whole game.

Hopefully Marquette takes down Zona.

Louisville was up by 16 at the half. They should never have blown that lead

Sounds like you’re describing our lost to Bama, Chisox.

There were several OBVIOUS blocking calls against Louisville that should have instead been charging calls against UK. This is clearly a poor officiating crew.

you are obviously biased. there were plenty of bad calls, but this was not one of them sparks leans in yes, but it was the wrap around hug that the defender gave him that warranted the whistle. trust me, i wanted louisville to win that game but they did so many dumb things to lose the game on their own, with or without refs.

[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Dec 18 2004, 02:42 PM [b] you are obviously biased. there were plenty of bad calls, but this was not one of them sparks leans in yes, but it was the wrap around hug that the defender gave him that warranted the whistle. trust me, i wanted louisville to win that game but they did so many dumb things to lose the game on their own, with or without refs. [/b]
Obviously biased??? Come on - first off Sparks shuffled both his feet [b]several[/b] times before the shot - I thought it was obvious watching it the first time. Besides that Sparks intentionally draws contact. If a player intentionally tries to draw contact you [b]don't[/b] call the foul. If the offensive player tries to draw contact and gets contact it's not the defensive players fault - bottom line (and I wanted Kentucky to win because I like to see Louisville lose).

I watched the game on and off and I didn’t see that many bad calls by the refs that game. Very sloppy play, especially by Kentucky’s guards.

how quickly you forget that the play at the other end that put louisville up was an obvious charge that was somehow called a blocking foul? Remember that? at worst, AT WORST, the call was a make up call. like i said, sparks drawing a foul isnt what brought the whistle, the fact that the defender reaches his arm around and hits his head drew the whistle. if plavich is taking that shot you are screaming for the foul. please open the door to impartial basketball. hope to see you there.

UK deserved to win that game after that incredible comeback. Bad calls or no bad calls.

At least Sparks hit the freethows. Those things will win ya some games! :blink:

How about on the inbounds where they walked with the ball also? How could the refs miss that one?

There were some bad calls in the game, but tha last play was a foul in my opinion… whether he was trying to draw it or not, it was still a foul.

It was a foul on the last play. Also, the refs didn’t blow the game against Bama for us, we did that. The jump ball was bad, but Withers deserved the T and Lutz probably did too. I actually thought the refs bailed us out in one of the OTs by not calling a foul on Eddie when Winston got him in the air and went into him.

Hit FTs and we’re not worried about Refs.

That no call would have been a charge, not a foul on Eddie. He drove into Eddie, but I think it was a good no call. That’s the time you can’t let the whistle control the game.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 19 2004, 10:04 AM [b] There were some bad calls in the game, but tha last play [i]was[/i] a foul in my opinion... whether he was trying to draw it or not, it was still a foul. [/b]
It was a foul, I agree with you. However, near the end of the game, refs have become more and more reluctant to call fouls from what I have seen. There is the attitude that from the public to let the game be decided by the players and not the ref.
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Dec 19 2004, 12:41 PM [b] That no call would have been a charge, not a foul on Eddie. He drove into Eddie, but I think it was a good no call. That's the time you can't let the whistle control the game. [/b]
[font=Geneva][SIZE=4][b]wow.[/b][/font][/SIZE]

From our friend Gregg Doyel over at Sportsline.com

On his last-second shot attempt, Kentucky’s Patrick Sparks made the smart play – his only play – by generating contact with Louisville’s Ellis Myles. It doesn’t mean the game officials had to fall for it. Sparks was smart to get the foul and gutsy to hit the foul shots, but the officials got suckered.

Link: Week in Review

More bad news for Louisville in the aftermath of the UK game:

[b]Already depleted, the Cardinals (6-2) lost freshman forward Juan Palacios to an eye injury early in the second half. Pitino played only six players the rest of the game and the Wildcats stormed back from 16 points down for the victory.

“When he went down, I felt that we were going to really struggle if I had to go with some of those guys,” Pitino said. “Against a good team, you can’t play six people and win.”

Palacios led all scorers at halftime with 11 points, and had a block and two rebounds. The 6-foot-8 Colombian was going for a rebound when Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo accidentally poked him in the left eye with 17:16 left.

Pitino said Palacios suffered a cornea abrasion and was out indefinitely.

“He’s pretty bad. He can’t even open his eye,” Pitino said.[/b]

Link: Injuries taking toll on Pitino’s weary Cardinals

Reminds me of the night Kentucky pushed Byron Dinkins out of bounds under the basket, now that was bad.

If you guys don’t think that the Louisville guys fouled Sparks or Basden fouled Winston, you haven’t played much. This theory of verticality crap is something Dean Smith convinced people of years ago. You get faked out, leave you feet and there’s contact, foul, pure and simple.

Come on Hoot!! Your game had how much verticality for my reference point here? :smiley:

I agree with what you are saying but it looks like from the replay the Sparks kid actually shuffled his feet and jumped to the right to initiate the contact. He definitely was not going straight up and needed to be bailed out. A no call in my mind but a smart play none the less.

Merry Christmas to you and the whole Hootie Pole family and an old friend of ours is going to one of the games with us in the near future. I will PM you to let you know and we can get together.

“Benny Moss, the only white man to ever beat me at H-O-R-S-E!!!”
-Hootie Pole
Daniel’s Pub 1989

Well, if the eye injury to Palacios wasn’t enough for UofL…

Louisville forward Otis George will miss two to four weeks after aggravating a stress fracture in his right foot that had already sidelined him for four games this season.

Link: George reinjures stress fracture Sunday

BTW, Palacios is listed as 50/50 for the Cards next game tomorrow against IUPUI.