Second-best team in A-10

MIKE HUGUENIN

I think UNC-Charlotte has a chance to be the second-best team in the Atlantic 10, which would put them comfortably in the top 65.

[URL]http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=852638[/URL]

Sweet.
Does UNC-Charlotte play basketball? I haven’t heard of such a team.

Sweet. Does UNC-Charlotte play basketball? I haven't heard of such a team.
No offense man, but that joke is more annoying than the name confusions themselves.

It was funny the first few hundred times I read it.

This university is crying out for a hero…

a hero is not afraid to squash the hyphen.

Will he/she emerge from the niner nation?

[SIZE=1](If so, it’d be pretty cool to see him/her at some games this fall)[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=thelew1014;349996]No offense man, but that joke is more annoying than the name confusions themselves.

It was funny the first few hundred times I read it.[/QUOTE]

The hyphen should always be mocked.

The hyphen should always be mocked.

Agreed. No one should get a free pass when using the hyphen.

I miss the shoutbox. All anyone ever does in threads is turn everything into a name change issue. It’s like we have an endless supply of name confusion logs on this board with no real basketball/other sports talk. At least in the shoutbox people would discuss things.

Anyway, back to the actual topic, I think this team has the potential to not only be second best in the A-10, but the best. It’s just a matter of everything coming together by the time conference play roles around. Our team lost some games they shouldn’t have lost last year due to incosistencies, but with another year, perhaps these will have been ironed out. We play a relatively strong OOC schedule this season which should help us when league play begins.

Who’s supposed to be 1st? Xavier?

[QUOTE=cptn319;349991]MIKE HUGUENIN

I think UNC-Charlotte has a chance to be the second-best team in the Atlantic 10, which would put them comfortably in the top 65.

[URL]http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=852638[/URL][/QUOTE]

What is a unc-charlotte?

[QUOTE=Hooner49;350019]Who’s supposed to be 1st? Xavier?[/QUOTE]

He doesn’t say, but I can’t imagine it being Xavier. They lost some big players and two of their new guys may not be eligible to play (One definitely isn’t, I believe the other questionable player is still up in the air at the moment).

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;350017]

Anyway, back to the actual topic, I think this team has the potential to not only be second best in the A-10, but the best. It’s just a matter of everything coming together by the time conference play roles around. Our team lost some games they shouldn’t have lost last year due to incosistencies, but with another year, perhaps these will have been ironed out. We play a relatively strong OOC schedule this season which should help us when league play begins.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, we will lose a game to someone we shouldn’t. Let’s just hope the team we lose to is not an RPI anchor like Monmouth.

Last year, I didn’t know what to expect with all the new faces. This year I expect big things. I would love to win the regular season title, but would also be very happy with finishing 2nd.

[QUOTE=Hooner49;350019]Who’s supposed to be 1st? Xavier?[/QUOTE]

Yes, X will be the favorite again and has shown up in at least one preseason top 25 I’ve seen.

is Xavier the only A-10 team to be preseason ranked top 25?

[QUOTE=Hooner49;350026]is Xavier the only A-10 team to be preseason ranked top 25?[/QUOTE]

Sporting News has X ranked 19th. Also appearing in the TSN “Top 40” are St. Joe’s (#32) and Temple (#38).

Funny thing is that in the TSN A-10 preview, Charlotte is picked 3rd behind X and Temple, with SJU 5th after Dayton at #4! Guess that the difference between Mike DeCourcy (TSN Top 40) and John O’Connor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, who wrote the A-10 preview for TSN.

Go figure! :huh: :tongue:

Anyway, back to the actual topic, I think this team has the potential to not only be second best in the A-10, but the best.
Agreed.

It’d be nice to get back to consistently overachieving. I’m just not sure I see how we’re going to pull it off with one point guard, and somewhat of a question mark at shooting guard with a coach that likes to rely heavily on outside shooting. Andersen was better than I thought last year after looking at his stats, so we’ll see once he gets more minutes. If Mack really was hobbled last year and shows more quickness/stamina, that’ll help tremendously. So would a more balanced offense that feeds Mack the ball in the post and allows him to create. Even though he hit lots of threes last year, he also was off quite a few games. On the flipside, his post moves were consistently good at getting a bucket or drawing a foul, and the other team had trouble stopping him.

The biggest question (and what submarined us last year): will we finally solve the princeton offense/disciplined team conundrum that was Richmond/Monmouth/Nebraska? Who do we play this year that falls into that category? Monmouth was an awful rpi-killer and the Richmond games took us out of the top 4 in the A-10 and sunk chances for the at-large.

Either way, I’m excited to see what these guys can put together. The conference as a whole doesn’t have as clear a leader as previous years, as each team has at least one or two holes to fill. So we’ve got an opportunity to make a move. Things are definitely looking up more than they were last year.