Serious Question/Advice about Ian

TRL… you make some good points. Ian’s release is way to shallow, I think it has to do more with how rushed his shot has to be.
Agree to disagree.
No use arguing over that.
Ian gives 100%, that’s all I ask for.

TRL... you make some good points. Ian's release is way to shallow, I think it has to do more with how rushed his shot has to be. Agree to disagree. No use arguing over that. Ian gives 100%, that's all I ask for.
Is it so much to ask for Division 1 scholarship players to be good?

lol…nope

TRL... you make some good points. Ian's release is way to shallow, I think it has to do more with how rushed his shot has to be. Agree to disagree. No use arguing over that. Ian gives 100%, that's all I ask for.

To me…Our Ian debate is a microcosm of the bigger issue.

More of my argument is that regardless of the player, our coaches don’t seem to be doing anything to help them improve or develop.

Ian’s flat shot is an example.

So is Phil’s lack of a post move.

or Our lack of ability to seal and get post position.

or Our lack of ability to box out.

or Our lack of ability to create space on offense

or Our lack of ability to PROPERLY attack a zone

or Our lack of ability to rotate on defense

or Our lack of ability to create angles to feed the post

etc

etc

etc

Each individual player has OBVIOUS fundamental shortcomings that never seem to improve. So I can only guess they are not being addressed. Which…to me…is a problem.

Coaches should coach to improve and develop their players fundamentally and beyond IMO.

Seriously TR, Realtime is all over this.

Seriously TR, Realtime is all over this.

OK…

So if you don’t think Coaches are responsible for teaching skills or developing players…who is??? Or better yet…what IS the coach responsible for?

Even better question…when you complain that a team is fundamentally deficient, how do you expect a coach to improve that if he doesn’t teach skills or develop individual players based on their individual needs and deficiencies??

You simply don’t like me for whatever reason and feel like you have to disagree with me no matter what.

The only thing I can agree with you on is if you truly believe a coach’s job doesn’t involve teaching/developing…then Coach Lutz is doing a great job and we might as well keep him.

But…if you ever watch Coach Knight’s practice films as an example (between the slaps & chokes)…he teaches the game. He teaches the kids…he develops players…and he does it based on individual needs and through improvement drills.

But I’m sure I should just take NA’s & Real’s opinion (based on their sole need to disagree with me) over a legendary basketball mind like Coach Knight.

Granted....Ian has several issues BUT...

Why in the hell won’t any one teach him to put arc on the ball?

His accuracy seems to be decent as his shot is typically online…but his flat shot leaves very little angle to actually go through the rim.

EVERYBODY can see it…why won’t the coaches address it??

I was a HS Junior with the same issue. My Coach had me work on putting more “hump” in my shot (as he called it). I didn’t have to change any mechanics or anything…just the angle in which I released the ball.

In literally one week…I had re-trained my shot and completely lost the flat shot habit. And the results were amazing but it made sense. I was now shooting a softer shot coming down with a better angle to the rim.

IT’S NOT THAT HARD!!!

What else would we pay our coaches to do? Is this not part of DEVELOPING players??

TR, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. It’s not just the point of Ian’s poor shot angle, it’s that this is symptomatic of the problem of not developing players and improving fundamentals.

It’s not a fan’s job to teach a player how to shoot, but it is the job of the person getting paid to coach and teach basketball. The better you make your players, the better the team performs. So, even teaching them things that you may feel that they should already know will help the whole team in the end.

The thing with Ian is just one example. They should be teaching each of the players the proper way to feed the post, box out techniques, post moves and footwork, shot discipline, and other fundamental things. You can’t just teach players X’s and O’s without working on the foundation. That’s like watching a player take 100 free throws day after day with bad technique, and saying that you work on free throw shooting everyday. It means nothing if you don’t correct their mistakes, otherwise you are just reinforcing bad techniques. This is part of a head coach’s and assistant coach’s job.

OK....

So if you don’t think Coaches are responsible for teaching skills or developing players…who is??? Or better yet…what IS the coach responsible for?

Even better question…when you complain that a team is fundamentally deficient, how do you expect a coach to improve that if he doesn’t teach skills or develop individual players based on their individual needs and deficiencies??

You simply don’t like me for whatever reason and feel like you have to disagree with me no matter what.

The only thing I can agree with you on is if you truly believe a coach’s job doesn’t involve teaching/developing…then Coach Lutz is doing a great job and we might as well keep him.

But…if you ever watch Coach Knight’s practice films as an example (between the slaps & chokes)…he teaches the game. He teaches the kids…he develops players…and he does it based on individual needs and through improvement drills.

But I’m sure I should just take NA’s & Real’s opinion (based on their sole need to disagree with me) over a legendary basketball mind like Coach Knight.

Heck, if you listen to any of the great coaches, they say that they look at their position as being a teacher first and foremost.

When I was in school I often saw an assistant coach or team manager in the SAC standing a few feet away from a shooter (Plavich and Sager I remember specifically) with a broom in their hands forcing the players to shoot with more arc. That and I vaguely remember a large machine on wheels that was a ball return but it also had a plastic barrier that came up a few inches above the rim maybe a foot away from the goal to enforce the same idea.

I’d bet money that they still do this drill…some players just don’t have certain skill sets.

Ian sucks. Thats my contribution to this argument.

How much more time does it take to shoot with an arc than without?
Regardless, Ian is the one player we have who can score many points quickly.

Since we are all coached here, can we get Ian to stop, square up and go straight up before shooting. When he shoots on the move he is way off.

But then again he has been way off all year - so what do I know.

Ian gives 100%, that's all I ask for.

Not me. This aint rec league ball. I expect way more than that…cause I’m paying to see way more than that.

I’ll be glad when we start winning again.