Shooting At VT

This is crazy. My heart goes out to everyone at VT

[QUOTE=NinerFan;233184]This is so sad and disgusting…Kids work their butts off to get in a great school like VaTech, then get murdered in the classroom by an asian student that flaked out. But what are we supposed to do? This is really the indefensible. You can’t defend against it without becoming some militaristic state. [/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think it’s the militaristic police state that leads to situations like this. The police state disarms the law-abiding citizens with stupid laws like “no guns on campus” and then there are massacres like this because people can’t defend themselves. It makes me sick.

I disagree. I think it's the militaristic police state that leads to situations like this. The police state disarms the law-abiding citizens with stupid laws like "no guns on campus" and then there are massacres like this because people can't defend themselves. It makes me sick.
Gun control is a crazy issue. I usually have an opinion on most of these, but I have no idea what to think. It's true that if a student had had a gun and a chance to kill the shooter then this may have been a much smaller tragedy, but on the other hand the same number of deaths may result over time from fights between people who have guns or people being downright irresponsible with their weapons if the guns were unrestricted. I have no idea what to think.

First thing I did was give her a BIG hug. Bigger than usual. My heart goes out to the parents and the injured students. They should all be in our prayers…

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

Where are people getting this was an Asian kid? Because of the pictures of the Asian kid getting arrested on Fox news?

I dont see it anywhere

They said it was an asian male around his 20s. I don’t see why that really matters in the scheme of things.

I really doubt gun control, as harsh or lenient would stop someone like this. It’s sad but true.

They said he used 9 mm semi-auto with extended clips (had 2). Extended clips means he had about 30 shots before having to reload.

Everyone I know is ok, my g/f’s cousin was walking to the academic building it occurred at for class and was called by a friend to turn back b/c of the people coming out of the building injured and bloody.

The guy who did this is lucky, I’m from VA and up there they look for any reason to deal out the death penalty on some sorry son of a bi$%^.

Got this from a VT alum… The kid…apparently an American of Asian descent and a student… had recently broken up with his girlfriend. He went to her dorm to confront her. When the RA asked him to leave, the suspect shot the girlfriend and the RA at around 715 this morning. After that, he went to find her new boyfriend. He knew roughly where the kid’s class was, but didn’t know what the guy looked like, so went to the building and general area the class would be and started shooting.

This is second-hand information from my neighbor, an alum, who talked to his cousin and several friends who are currently students there. I know at times like this rumours abound, but I thought I would toss this out there for everyone’s digestion.

This is a trying time for our two houses. He is pretty shaken up. Apparently, he had several classes in the same classrooms where many of the deaths occurred. It is very, very sad.

I hope that, eventually, the students, faculty, and staff involved in this event are able to overcome the anguish that is sure to follow in the coming weeks. I wish them strength as they try to deal with this tragic event.

I wonder why senseless shooting rampages seem to be a uniquely American tragedy? Other countries seem to have terrorism shootings or ethnic cleansing, but not the crazed gunmen taking out innocent people. Just a question. My aim is not to start a political discussion. I hope this thread remains on topic and respectful.

I’ve actually been in the auditorium, which is right next to the second building from the shootings. I had remarked what a handsome and peaceful setting the campus was.

This is just truly awful. How many lives did this monster ruin? How many that were touched by this event are going to become addicts or violent themselves? It goes without saying my heart goes out to all of the Virginia Tech family.

[B][I]Got this from a VT alum... The kid...apparently an American of Asian descent and a student... had recently broken up with his girlfriend. He went to her dorm to confront her. When the RA asked him to leave, the suspect shot the girlfriend and the RA at around 715 this morning. After that, he went to find her new boyfriend. He knew roughly where the kid's class was, but didn't know what the guy looked like, so went to the building and general area the class would be and started shooting.[/I][/B]

I have actually heard something very similar. But what I heard was that the kids GF wasnt there, and he went to look for her.

Bottom line, killing innocent kids… that were just there studying…

Chinese National on a student visa… I want to know were he got his shooting training from? I’ve read to do what he did with precision would require some sort of military training. the odds his weapons were legal are slim I’d say.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/343354,vatech041607.articleprint

Chinese National on a student visa.. I want to know were he got his shooting training from? I've read to do what he did with precision would require some sort of military training. the odds his weapons were legal are slim I'd say.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/343354,vatech041607.articleprint

no one else is reporting this. also, in virginia, all you need is a license to get a handgun. they run a check, but its not a hard thing to do. and, at the range this kid was shooting and with the as many rounds as he had, it would not have taken any real military training. nothing you couldn’t learn just shooting out in a field or in a local range.

[QUOTE=Pork Chop;233332]I wonder why senseless shooting rampages seem to be a uniquely American tragedy? [/QUOTE]

its not uniquely American, a German example(s):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

Horrible tragedy. Being a teacher, the possibility of something like this happening at your school is always in the back of your mind, but it’s especially prevalent this week (also the anniversary of Columbine). Bottom line: this could happen at any school, at any time.

Horrible tragedy. Being a teacher, the possibility of something like this happening at your school is always in the back of your mind, but it's especially prevalent this week (also the anniversary of Columbine). Bottom line: this could happen at any school, at any time.

columbine was horrible that happened the day after my bday. my thoughts and prayers go out to all of their families.

Horrible tragedy. Being a teacher, the possibility of something like this happening at your school is always in the back of your mind, but it's especially prevalent this week [B](also the anniversary of Columbine). [/B]Bottom line: this could happen at any school, at any time.

Any relation you think?

Any relation you think?

columbine, hitler’s bday and national day of pot all lie on the same day but i just think if what the poster above said was true it was just a guy having a jealous rage.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;233386]Any relation you think?[/QUOTE]
Doubtful. But Columbine had a few copycat attempts to follow it up, so I’m just holding my breath.

There’s no way this can be put into words. My friends have lost friends and I feel for them. My gf’s close friend is still awaiting word on 3 of them.

The RA that was killed was two weeks from graduation with a few degrees, in addition to his involvement in Marching Band.

This whole thing is extremely sickening and depressing, 32 people did not have to die today.