Sirius and XM will be allowed to merge

Yay!!

Finally the satellite radio companies will be able to merge

[URL]http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/bear-stearns-doj-ok-sirius/story.aspx?guid={9E9DDBC5-8777-43BC-82BF-D9A5C518A5A4}&dist=TNMostRead[/URL]

This is one merger that should have never been forced anyways. Clear Channel and traditional radio lobbied for Sirius to be split into two companies in the first place in order to cannabilize itself and be less of a threat to traditional radio.

Now if we can only convince the A-10 to create a satellite radio channel, 1660 can finally go away.

Nice as a Sirius’ subscriber and big fan of everything on it that’s gonna be great.

Sorry, I know nothing about XM or Sirus how much do they cost a month?

I have Sirius and it is like $12.99/month now. Any idea what the merger will do to the programming and pricing? I had heard (rumors) that they wanted to have some basic channels and then add tiers for some of the additional talk programming. I just hope can get what I have now for the same price I am currently paying. XM doesn’t have much to offer me since I don’t listen to MLB on the radio.

Yeah MLB sucks, is that 13 bucks a month for as many cars as you have or do you have to add, I think it would be nice to have in me and my wifes car, for 13 bucks a month I’d do it, but i’m sure there are different tiers… like cable.

[QUOTE=EE9er;272808]Yeah MLB sucks, is that 13 bucks a month for as many cars as you have or do you have to add, I think it would be nice to have in me and my wifes car, for 13 bucks a month I’d do it, but i’m sure there are different tiers… like cable.[/QUOTE]

$13/month is for 1 radio. I think you can get additional radios added for $6 or $7.

satelite radio is the greatest thing on earth. I have sirius and dont know how I lived without it. Subscription costs vary, I am on the 2-year plan right now and pay a little over $200, but I recommend the lifetime subscription. I was weary at first but when my subcription ends I am paying the $550 for the lifetime. Its worth it! Use it everyday!

I have just one question -

Do they plan on messing with Sirius’ channel lineup?

If they dare touch my Channel 26, I will hunt down and kill them all. And I don’t mean that as a euphemism. They will all be in shallow graves.

Anyone else a little surprised that SiriusXM is raising rates so soon after the merger? Well, actually they are just going to start charging $3/month to listen online. They are saying this is to pay for the internet streams being increased to a higher quality 128k feed. I don’t believe the talk stations (which is mainly what I listen to… I prefer Pandora and Slacker - both free - for music) will be broadcast at 128k.

Existing customers can get around this fee increase by signing a 2 year contract extension. Not sure I want to sign a 2 year contract extension with a company that is floundering right now… stock price is down to 10 cent or so.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sirius-xm-plans-official-rate-hike-for-march-11th/1320161/

satelite radio is the greatest thing on earth. I have sirius and dont know how I lived without it. Subscription costs vary, I am on the 2-year plan right now and pay a little over $200, but I recommend the lifetime subscription. I was weary at first but when my subcription ends I am paying the $550 for the lifetime. Its worth it! Use it everyday!

You pay $550 and get it for life? This can’t be right.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;380956]You pay $550 and get it for life? This can’t be right.[/QUOTE]

It used to be $499 for a lifetime subscription, but I think they got rid of that deal. I think there were some limitations to it… i.e. you could only transfer it to a certain number of new radios.

Anyone else a little surprised that SiriusXM is raising rates so soon after the merger? Well, actually they are just going to start charging $3/month to listen online. They are saying this is to pay for the internet streams being increased to a higher quality 128k feed. I don’t believe the talk stations (which is mainly what I listen to… I prefer Pandora and Slacker - both free - for music) will be broadcast at 128k.

Existing customers can get around this fee increase by signing a 2 year contract extension. Not sure I want to sign a 2 year contract extension with a company that is floundering right now… stock price is down to 10 cent or so.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sirius-xm-plans-official-rate-hike-for-march-11th/1320161/

I thought part of the merger agreement was that they couldn’t increase the rates. Yet, since the first day that you could get the other companies channels, you had to pay an additional $4 or so to get every single channel. So, technically my rates didn’t go up. But if I want to get the true benefit of every channel my rate would go up.

They better tread lightly. I love having satellite radio. But I think there is a definite price for every person that it’s no longer worth it. I’ve already had problems with channels on Direct TV and on-line that I used to be able to get with XM prior to the merger, that I can no longer get.

It used to be $499 for a lifetime subscription, but I think they got rid of that deal. I think there were some limitations to it... i.e. you could only transfer it to a certain number of new radios.

Why didn’t that stupid salesperson not mention this deal. $12.95 a month wasn’t worth it to me. I channel flipped just as much with AM/FM, but if I could have paid a lump sum to cover it all then I would have done so.

Charlotte’s own Gary Williams just signed a deal to host a morning show on Sirius/XM.

[URL=http://www.radsatdaily.com/profiles/blogs/sirius-xm-radio-gives-local]http://www.radsatdaily.com/profiles/blogs/sirius-xm-radio-gives-local[/URL]

Why didn't that stupid salesperson not mention this deal. $12.95 a month wasn't worth it to me. I channel flipped just as much with AM/FM, but if I could have paid a lump sum to cover it all then I would have done so.

The XM website still says “Multi-year discounts available”. It just doesn’t specify what the amount is. They had the $500 offer when I signed up, but I was reluctant because I didn’t know if I’d like it or if satellite radio would survive. But 4 years later, I definitely wish that I did it.