SLU game officiating....

So what’s your opinion of tonight’s crew? They seemed about usual, for the most part, missing a lot on both sides. But one question, how was it NOT a technical foul when their coach threw a towel on the court while arguing a call? I mean, from where I was, it looked like a clear throw - did I miss something? All the ref did was point at it and make him pick it up, I guess giving him a warning. I didn’t think you got a warning for that kind of thing.

I was wondering the same thing. That probably should’ve been a T, warning or no warning.

The refs tonight were better than what we normally get… they weren’t great, but they were fairly consistent.

I don’t think the towel was thrown. The coach and his assistants jumped up from their chairs, and it appeared to me that the towel was on the ground and it was accidentally kicked out by a coach.

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jan 16 2005, 01:20 AM [b] I don't think the towel was thrown. The coach and his assistants jumped up from their chairs, and it appeared to me that the towel was on the ground and it was accidentally kicked out by a coach. [/b]
No no no, their top assistant threw it. He had a really great "oh shit" look on his face right after he did it.
[b]They seemed about usual, for the most part, missing a lot on both sides[/b]

They were “the usual” alright, at least for the refs we’ve had at Halton this year. They were terrible. The only exception at Halton this season was the game we had Big Steve earlier in the year. We are at a definite disadvantage when we play hacking teams like SLU and ECU when the refs don’t call many fouls. Their hacks become turnovers and missed shots by us instead of trips to the charity stripe. It’s impossible to blow a team out when they are allowed to hack like that. You don’t want to get into the habit of playing like they do, but if the refs aren’t going to call it, then hack away!!! Lutz mentioned the rough play during post game last night and that he liked to see the game played with finesse. SLU has yet to learn that word. Each year it seems college basketball more and more resembles football.

There were too inconsistent. The hand checks, charges and screens were all going on all game long, but they only called a random few of them. The only think most people want to see out of officials is consistency, and they definitely didn’t provde that. Ours guys got hacked a lot more on most of the inside shots that weren’t called fouls then the few that they actually blew the whistle on.

The reason no “T” was called was the fact that the referee that called the moving screen, and was on that side of the floor, was reporting the foul when the towel was thrown. Bobby asked that official why there was no “T”, and I saw the official tell him that he did not see the assistant coach throw the towel because he was reporting the foul. In that case, the official just can’t assume that one of the coaches threw it. The other 2 officials weren’t looking at the bench, as one was on the other side of the court, and the other was corraling the ball to put it back into play.

We did get helped by the way the game was officiated at UAB. They were not allowed to slap and push and grab and hold to force turnovers. You could tell Mike Anderson was getting frustrated because it was taking them out of what they wanted to do.

[b]They were not allowed to slap and push and grab and hold to force turnovers[/b]

Amen. They aren’t supposed to be able to.

If a towel had been thrown from OUR bench a “T” would have been called seen or not. That is my biggest complaint about the officiating, the complete inconsistency. If you are consistently bad or consistently good for both sides then I can accept that. However, I sit under the basket, behind the basket and when I see our guy get mugged and nothing called and then the ball goes to the other end and a touch foul is called then that is bad officiating. That is what I saw last night. The big guy, # 15 got away with stuff that should get you arrested. And Larry, curly or Moe refused to call anything. Completely disgusted with most officials… Big Steve only good official.

It looked as if SLU’s bench was of the opinion the refs were calling it really close…an indication it may be a rugby scrum when we get to their place. Oops, I’m sorry, they play hockey there (usually). I’ll call it a loose puck in the corner rather than a scrum. I expect they’ll get back to their holding and hacking defense at home…and beat us again.

[i]Originally posted by Seniorfan[/i]@Jan 16 2005, 07:34 PM [b] Completely disgusted with most officials.. Big Steve only good official. [/b]
The best official ever to come into Halton is Dee Kantner, the woman that was fired by the NBA three seasons ago. She calls several Lady Niner games every year. I've seen her maybe ten times, and she's only made one really bad call that I can remember. She comes over and talks to the band during timeouts sometimes... she's pretty cool.