SLU Post Game

Glad we fought back, we have to convert at the FT line and hit easy buckets.

I think we are as good as SLU, but that first half was so off kilter it ruined any flow for us. Tough luck, probably wouldn’t have won either way, so final score doesn’t matter.

Really like our chances going forward.

Foul trouble from the first half really hurt.

They made 22 shots…11 threes.

We will never win if a team does that against us. Period.

Their 3’s killed us and I was surprised they were so wide open on almost all of them. I wouldn’t mind a rematch in Brooklyn. Final score was not a good indication of the competitiveness of the game.

2 things did us in.

1. the refs
  2. ourselves - I thought our shot selection was poor at times and to top it off we still could not hit the needed free throws to get back into the game

It’s fine. 8 on 5 in first half. That’s typical there. Charges on one end then fouls on the other we’re head scratchers.

I don’t think they are that great. If we get them or VCU in Brooklyn, I’m happy, because seems the team knows how to play them now (without respect, just throw them down).

Would LOVE a re-match in Brooklyn. Not making any excuses for this game. Got 8 days to prepare for Temple and 3 games in 7 days.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:1, topic:27521”]Glad we fought back, we have to convert at the FT line and hit easy buckets.

I think we are as good as SLU, but that first half was so off kilter it ruined any flow for us. Tough luck, probably wouldn’t have won either way, so final score doesn’t matter.

Really like our chances going forward.[/quote]
Agree. Have to beat Temple at home, that will be tough. If we can do that we still have a chance. I’m glad we fought back we could have caved in. Bras needs to have a better game for us to win. Lets pack the house for the Owls and get a win.

I think the final score doesn’t do us any favors. I like it though if it means teams will overlook us come Brooklyn. We have the potential to finish with 22 or (crossing my fingers) 23 wins if we play the way we can down the stretch. I don’t really have a sour taste in my mouth after this one. GO NINERS!

I think we played as well as we could. Got no calls in the first half which took us out o rhythm, while the game was called fair we went on an 11-0 run. I need to start seeing some improvement at the line.

I wasn’t happy with our composure at the end, but mine wasnt any better. We need to win our last five to stay in the coversation, win 1 or 2 in Brooklyn depending on opponent. With who we play remaining and where we play them, any loss is a bad loss.

Game called much more evenly in 2nd half, first half was a joke. Got it down to 5 and seemed to run out of gas. Cody Ellis is a douchebag, hope we get a shot at them in Brooklyn.

Thorne should have got some run in the 2nd half.

Score was inflated late with fouls, more like a 10pt loss.

[quote=“2k, post:10, topic:27521”]Game called much more evenly in 2nd half, first half was a joke. Got it down to 5 and seemed to run out of gas. Cody Ellis is a douchebag, hope we get a shot at them in Brooklyn.

Thorne should have got some run in the 2nd half.[/quote]

This is why I’d love to see us with a big lead in a second half. I honestly have no idea how many minutes Mike can play with his stamina. Would love to see us get a chance to put him in a pressure free situation to see how he can do physically when he gets more minutes.

Does anyone remember when talk was that Bras had a shot at the pros if he kept developing?

Sorry to say it but i’ll be much happier when he’s gone.

[quote=“lucky57, post:12, topic:27521”]Does anyone remember when talk was that Bras had a shot at the pros if he kept developing?

Sorry to say it but i’ll be much happier when he’s gone.[/quote]

I won’t be happier, but yes, he had a bad game. He def helped us beat Butler. And i don’t remember talking about Bras and NBA, if that’s what you mean. Maybe pro overseas, but it was apparent in his first year here he was never going to be an NBA player.

I quit expecting any road wins after the Richmond and GW games. The Butler game did not change that expectation. Teams that turn the ball over and miss FTs at a regular clip are not going to be good road teams. We also rarely get a fair game called from the refs - most of which i put on Major being too passive and allowing the other coach to have the refs ear. We went from a coach who didn’t know when to quit talking to a ref to a coach who doesn’t know when to talk to them. I think he will get better at this as this is yet another growing experience for him as a head coach.

The thing that I really hate about this is in classic Charlotte basketball fashion we shit the bed after getting onto the public’s radar. On thursday and friday I had all kinds of people in public mention the niners when they saw my coat or hat. Now we lose that - again. We excel at that and it just kills us in this market. We know the reasons we lose some of these games - be it youth, turnovers, coaching, fts, etc - but the general public just knows we lost and in some of these games lost by a lot. It sucks because if we ever really want to be a player in this market for real we have to quit this shit.

In the end any of you going to Brooklyn have more faith than I do. At this point I am expecting a mediocre finish to the season and an NIT bid which is progress. I am going to hope and pull for the best, but am not expecting it. We haven’t closed a season strong in a really long time.

I would have been real nice to have today be the Duquesne game instead of the Saint Louis game.

Only got to see the first half. Not surprised by the result. Still very happy with the way this team is progressing and we still have a shot at making the tourney this season, albeit a long one.

Really impressed with how Henry’s offensive game is coming along. He is nearly averaging 10 points per game this season and 13.5 over his last four games, to go along with six assists and nearly five rebounds as well. He is going to be one of the top players in CUSA next season and think he has a shot at the NBA if he continues to work on his jumper.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:13, topic:27521”][quote=“lucky57, post:12, topic:27521”]Does anyone remember when talk was that Bras had a shot at the pros if he kept developing?

I won’t be happier, but yes, he had a bad game. He def helped us beat Butler. And i don’t remember talking about Bras and NBA, if that’s what you mean. Maybe pro overseas, but it was apparent in his first year here he was never going to be an NBA player.[/quote]

There was talk about how Bras could have an NBA future is freshmen year. I think we all assumed that given his level when he started he would grow into a star player. Reality is his ceiling is prob just not that high and/or he doesn’t have the work ethic to max it out.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:17, topic:27521”][quote=“Iron9er, post:13, topic:27521”][quote=“lucky57, post:12, topic:27521”]Does anyone remember when talk was that Bras had a shot at the pros if he kept developing?

I won’t be happier, but yes, he had a bad game. He def helped us beat Butler. And i don’t remember talking about Bras and NBA, if that’s what you mean. Maybe pro overseas, but it was apparent in his first year here he was never going to be an NBA player.[/quote]

There was talk about how Bras could have an NBA future is freshmen year. I think we all assumed that given his level when he started he would grow into a star player. Reality is his ceiling is prob just not that high and/or he doesn’t have the work ethic to max it out.[/quote]

Bras is not an NBA athlete, never has been even close. Demarco was a better athlete than him with better skill and still couldn’t play more than a couple of games in the NBA. I have no doubt that some in our fan base were talking about it, but…those people probably don’t watch professional basketball.

You could make an argument that 3rd team A10 is a ‘star’ player (that’s the best Leemire ever did as well). I think what is most disappointing for some is that he played better last year than this year so far, but that happens.

[quote=“Basden05, post:16, topic:27521”]Only got to see the first half. Not surprised by the result. Still very happy with the way this team is progressing and we still have a shot at making the tourney this season, albeit a long one.

Really impressed with how Henry’s offensive game is coming along. He is nearly averaging 10 points per game this season and 13.5 over his last four games, to go along with six assists and nearly five rebounds as well. He is going to be one of the top players in CUSA next season and think he has a shot at the NBA if he continues to work on his jumper.[/quote]

Agreed. Henry’s ability to drive is absolutely helping our offense and a big reason our offense has gotten better the last half of the season.

Notice anything peculiar? That’s right, they beat Butler by the same score they beat us by, and Butler never got within two-possessions of SLU in the 2nd half. Nobody thinks any less of our team than they did before the game, except us. SLU could very well be the best team in the conference. Thank God we didn’t lose by 29 like Dayton did.

The team has eight days to hit reset so they can attack the last four games with the aggression it will take. We, as a fan-base, have eight days to sit back, watch the bubble get weaker and then we will beat the ever living shit out of Temple, and then Dayton.

Braswell needs to start playing like a man. Pierria, keep scoring, I like it.