So Damn Proud

I think we need an appreciation thread for our football players and coaches. This is our programā€™s first victory over a ranked football team. We had to come back from a 21 point hole while also fighting some very questionable officiating calls.

List who and what you appreciated from today, and Go Niners!

I appreciate our Offensive Line! When Thomas LaBianca was injured the guys stepped up big, making holes for Phillips and Barnwell, and giving Matt J. time to sling the ball.

Hereā€™s to you Offensive Linemen!!! And GO NINERS!!!

I appreciate the entire defense. The got the hell beat out of them for 3 quarters but didnā€™t tuck tail and roll over. They made the big plays they needed in the 4th. They were gutty and showed a ton of character.

Hats off.

Off topic, but is there anywhere to see a replay of the TV broadcast? Got home from a wedding, and my DVR did not record the game. Darn!

Kickers donā€™t get much attention and at the beginning of the year there was serious question about our kicking game but I have to say Brandon Strupp had a great game today.

Many of our punts had GW backing up to field. The out of bounds call was a misstep but was so close to being an amazing punt. His 42.3 average today would put him as a top 20 FCS punter if he carried for the season.

Great team effort. Didnā€™t see game. Coach and staff have done one hell of a job getting Niners to 4-2. Couldnā€™t be prouder. Go Niners. Whole gd team gets game ball. Save that that ball. Mark it with score and put that sob in trophy case. Huge win.

[quote=ā€œninermike, post:4, topic:28303ā€]Kickers donā€™t get much attention and at the beginning of the year there was serious question about our kicking game but I have to say Brandon Strupp had a great game today.

Many of our punts had GW backing up to field. The out of bounds call was a misstep but was so close to being an amazing punt. His 42.3 average today would put him as a top 20 FCS punter if he carried for the season.[/quote]

Honestly, kicking out of bounds in FCS isnt a big deal. Ball on 35 and no chance for a runback. Seems good to me.

Would prefer we kick it out of the back of the end zone

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:6, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:4, topic:28303ā€]Kickers donā€™t get much attention and at the beginning of the year there was serious question about our kicking game but I have to say Brandon Strupp had a great game today.

Many of our punts had GW backing up to field. The out of bounds call was a misstep but was so close to being an amazing punt. His 42.3 average today would put him as a top 20 FCS punter if he carried for the season.[/quote]

Honestly, kicking out of bounds in FCS isnt a big deal. Ball on 35 and no chance for a runback. Seems good to me.[/quote]

When we had to kick from the 10 (after the 2 penalties)ā€¦what would have happened had we kicked it out of bounds then??

[quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:8, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:6, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:4, topic:28303ā€]Kickers donā€™t get much attention and at the beginning of the year there was serious question about our kicking game but I have to say Brandon Strupp had a great game today.

Honestly, kicking out of bounds in FCS isnt a big deal. Ball on 35 and no chance for a runback. Seems good to me.[/quote]

When we had to kick from the 10 (after the 2 penalties)ā€¦what would have happened had we kicked it out of bounds then??[/quote]

I think (if itā€™s the same as the NFL) that you get to choose the auto spot or the spot where it goes out of bounds, so heā€™d have needed to kick it out past the 35. Just a guess, but I was wondering that too.

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:9, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:8, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:6, topic:28303ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:4, topic:28303ā€]Kickers donā€™t get much attention and at the beginning of the year there was serious question about our kicking game but I have to say Brandon Strupp had a great game today.

When we had to kick from the 10 (after the 2 penalties)ā€¦what would have happened had we kicked it out of bounds then??[/quote]

I think (if itā€™s the same as the NFL) that you get to choose the auto spot or the spot where it goes out of bounds, so heā€™d have needed to kick it out past the 35. Just a guess, but I was wondering that too.[/quote]

NFL rule is that if a kickoff goes out of bounds (before it reaches the endzone obviously), it is placed 30 yards from the spot of the kick. Since NFL (and college teams) kick from their 35, that placement would be the opposing teamā€™s 35 yard line - or the spot it went out of bounds if it goes out of bounds before the opposing 35. In the game on Saturday against Gardner Webb - when we kicked off from the 10 - if it had gone out of bounds beyond our 40yd line, GW would have started at the 40. If it had gone out of bounds before our 40yd line, then that is where GW would have started. Thankfully neither one of those were the case on that particular kickoff!

I see this thread was easily thread-jacked.

(sorry for the minor thread-jack thereā€¦ now back to the topic of the threadā€¦)

I am proud of the whole freaking team! The coaches never let them get down, told them to ā€œkeep hoeingā€ (per Coach Lambert), and the guys went out there and did just that!! It is one thing to tell your team to not give up, but after they got punched in the nuts in the 3rd quarter, it would have been somewhat understandable if they did - not meaning they would purposefully give up and not play hard, but they could have easily just played hard enough to not let it get any worse than it was after the 3rd.

I am proud of the fans who decided to stick it outā€¦ I got burned once (ala Benny Moss vs. Western Kentucky) about leaving a game early, and I vowed then to never do that again.

I am proud of my older brother! His daughter/my neice is enrolled at Charlotte as a freshman this fall, and this was his first game. (He has watched the others via streaming since they live in GSO.) He was with me there until the end - never wanted to leave - AND he was yelling/cheering/high-fiving just as much as me! I think we have a new 49ers fan to add to the ranks. It was the best game either one of us has ever seen live, and it is cool that we got to see it together! He was even talking crap to the GW fans as we left the stadium. We were sitting next to their section and they were all shouting ā€œlet the big dog eat!ā€ when they were putting it to us in the 3rd quarterā€¦ As we were walking out he shouted a couple of times ā€œlet the big dog eat some crow!ā€ ā€œbig dog choked on his bone!ā€. I felt proud!

Agreed. I agree so much that Iā€™ll say it again.

AGREED!!!