So, how bad is traffic going to Saturday?

coming from Greensboro. I’m not worried about the morning, but how about going east on I-85 at 4:30?

I assume you mean North on I-85 (runs north/south). It shouldn’t be bad at that time, in that direction. Most traffic should be headed south from Greensboro area then.

I assume it will be bad. Exit 49 (Concord Mills/Speedway) is normally backed up all the way past I-485 on Saturdays. The BoA 500 starting at 7:30 isn’t going to help traffic either.

It’s going to be nasty getting north of Speedway Blvd. For the first four home games, traffic bogged down when you got to the work zone and 2-lane near 485 as Loyal said. It usually doesn’t take too long to get through it if you stay in the left lane. The bad thing this week will be that you’ll have both the mall traffic and race traffic clogging up Speedway Blvd, and it’s all going to back up I-85 worse than usual.

Between the U and Speedway Blvd yes, but beyond that it shouldn’t be any worse than a normal Saturday afternoon on 85 North.

Just figure out some back roads to get around the I-85 jam at exit 49 during this time. It may take you “out of the way”, but isn’t that what you want to do? And who knows, you may see some interesting, wonderful countryside in the process. I do it ALL the time and it works and it’s rewarding. But then I like seeing the countryside and going places I’ve not been before. :slight_smile:

My solution for race traffic is the best solution for race traffic: If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em.

Any guess how much this will affect Game Attendance??.. we thought last week was bad but chalked it up to fall break… Try getting students to campus for a game while competing with day drinking for the race.

Hopefully students and fans alike see the Charlotte game as a pregame before the race…

:rolleyes:

[quote=“jsqu03, post:8, topic:28309”]Any guess how much this will affect Game Attendance??.. we thought last week was bad but chalked it up to fall break… Try getting students to campus for a game while competing with day drinking for the race.

Hopefully students and fans alike see the Charlotte game as a pregame before the race…

::)[/quote]

I didn’t know too many students that went to the races when I was in school, and we had a fair share of rednecks here then. Pretty sure that number has not increased.

I think the attendance will be fine - first homecoming and all. I just dont think having a game on raceday is wise. The Panthers don’t ever go head to head with the race and they are the NFL.

[quote=“jsqu03, post:8, topic:28309”]Any guess how much this will affect Game Attendance??.. we thought last week was bad but chalked it up to fall break… Try getting students to campus for a game while competing with day drinking for the race.

::)[/quote]

Well, just like our basketball homecomings, we know all the fraternities and sororities will be there until halftime at least to cheer on their Homecoming Queen candidate.

Yes, the Panthers had a game against the Seahawks 1 year on Race weekend and each year since have requested the NFL either give them a BYE or an away game that week.

We schedule Homecoming on that day!!!

Maybe a little out of the way for you, but we went across Harris, and up 77 then over from there… A little out of the way, but much faster getting to Winston…
Going down we travel 85, but we tend to be there pretty early and leave a few hours after the game as we hit one of the local restaurants.

Maybe a little out of the way for you, but we went across Harris, and up 77 then over from there… A little out of the way, but much faster getting to Winston…
Going down we travel 85, but we tend to be there pretty early and leave a few hours after the game as we hit one of the local restaurants.[/quote]We may try this way Saturday.

Typically we stay in the tailgating lot for an hour or so to let traffic clear out. Sometimes we cook.

Any out-of-towners staying in a hotel on Friday or Saturday? Was curious if you were able to get a room at a reasonable rate with the race in town. Most places jack the room rates up for race weekends, and big time.

Would 49 get me to Asheboro? Is that a decent idea?

Unless you want to get there late, no.
EDIT…that actually may be your best option. 85 will be a parking lot the entire day.

You’ll be going right back through race traffic on the backside of the speedway going that route. Once you get north of the speedway you won’t have any problems, but you might hit lots of stop-and-go getting to that point depending on when our game ends.

2k asks that CLT pick him up in the zep in Advance, looking forward to a roundtrip ride.

clt is en route. Eta is dec 12.