So We Lost to Xaiver in the A10 Tournament!!!

You can’t put our coaches to the same standard when places like Chapel Hill put more money into their programs and coaches’ salaries. In the end it’s all about money, hence making more money adds more “win now” pressure.[/quote]

While this is generally true, in terms of the salaries of tennis and cross country coaches, etc…you might be surprised in the amount of difference between our program and some other “big” name schools. You can look them all up on-line.

Just for a little comparison:

Chapel Hill M Soccer Coach - 93k
Coach Gunn - 64k

Chapel Hill Baseball Coach - 170K
Coach Hibbs - 64K

Chapel Hill Cross Country Coach - 52k
Ed Schlichter - 33k

Huge discrepancy there.

Love the use of caps lock. Always thought caps lock was cruise control for cool.

Love the use of caps lock. Always thought caps lock was cruise control for cool.[/quote]

[font=courier]If he hadn’t used caplocks, I would never of read it. Cool? I say cruise control for practical. [/font]

Yea we’re horrible at playoffs

We are in the elite 8 right now, HOW HORRIBLE…

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:22, topic:25858”]Just for a little comparison:

Chapel Hill M Soccer Coach - 93k
Coach Gunn - 64k

Chapel Hill Baseball Coach - 170K
Coach Hibbs - 64K

Chapel Hill Cross Country Coach - 52k
Ed Schlichter - 33k

Huge discrepancy there.[/quote]

Why doesn’t Ed get a coach before his name?! He’s the man!

The one that really jumps out at you is Hibbs (not necessarily compared to CHeat with their success, obviously, but on his own). We’ve had some awesome baseball teams and I don’t think he’s justly compensated for that success. Yes, he’s struggled some and we haven’t made some really deep run to Omaha, but our last 5 years are:

49-12
43-16
33-22
39-17
43-16

Average: 41.4-15.8

Hard to argue with those results.

Those are base numbers and I’m not sure if they’re up-to-date, but I guarantee you Hibbs takes home more from bonus’ (ie; championships, tourney appearances, etc.). I expect he is taking home closer to $100,000/year most seasons.

The comparison is made off base salaries. Generally though, schools like Chapel Hill will pay more in incentives as well, so the gap is probably even wider.

The comparison is made off base salaries. Generally though, schools like Chapel Hill will pay more in incentives as well, so the gap is probably even wider.[/quote]

Could be, but as a percentage of their revenue (resources) I know we’re paying more. We simply don’t have the coffers that they do.

Why doesn’t Ed get a coach before his name?! He’s the man!

HAHA! My athletes call me “Ed” it’s cool! There’s a line from the movie “Prefontaine or Without Limits(forget which one)” Pre is getting his foot measured for shoes and says to Bill Bowerman, “Hi Coach, I’m Steve Prefontaine” Bowerman in return says, “Take your shoes off rube, and don’t call me ‘Coach’ I had and asshole for a coach”

Also, non revenue sports Coaches don’t get bonuses for Conference Results(at least I know track doesn’t), those are reserved for NCAA’s and its a % off of your salary, and a “one time only” bonus per year. So the bonus Baseball gets for making NCAA’s doesn’t go up depending on performance at NCAA’s, they could win the National Title and it would be the same bonus(again going off of track but pretty sure it is the same across the board, except Basketball of course). Same goes for track if we have an athlete qualify for NCAA’s in XC, that’s our one time bonus regardless of how track goes, but, it is also kind of nice in one sense. At least we get something for making it to NCAA’s, I’m sure there are schools out there that aren’t in that position or don’t take that position so it is nice to have the administration look out for the non revenue sports.

It would also be my guess that Soccer won’t receive any additional bonuses besides the “one time only” for making NCAA’s even though they’ve made it to the elite 8, but, I would imagine there would be an increase in salary if the administration can make it happen, but with the way cut backs are across the country it is highly unlikely, we really have to be happy with the fortunate positions that we do have and make do the best we can. Those #'s are up to date, no raises department wide since I’ve been here(unless you get a “title” change…from Head Coach to Director…Assistant to Associate Head…etc…) that’s UNC system wide since recession.

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:31, topic:25858”]Why doesn’t Ed get a coach before his name?! He’s the man!

HAHA! My athletes call me “Ed” it’s cool! There’s a line from the movie “Prefontaine or Without Limits(forget which one)” Pre is getting his foot measured for shoes and says to Bill Bowerman, “Hi Coach, I’m Steve Prefontaine” Bowerman in return says, “Take your shoes off rube, and don’t call me ‘Coach’ I had and asshole for a coach”

Also, non revenue sports Coaches don’t get bonuses for Conference Results(at least I know track doesn’t), those are reserved for NCAA’s and its a % off of your salary, and a “one time only” bonus per year. So the bonus Baseball gets for making NCAA’s doesn’t go up depending on performance at NCAA’s, they could win the National Title and it would be the same bonus(again going off of track but pretty sure it is the same across the board, except Basketball of course). Same goes for track if we have an athlete qualify for NCAA’s in XC, that’s our one time bonus regardless of how track goes, but, it is also kind of nice in one sense. At least we get something for making it to NCAA’s, I’m sure there are schools out there that aren’t in that position or don’t take that position so it is nice to have the administration look out for the non revenue sports.

It would also be my guess that Soccer won’t receive any additional bonuses besides the “one time only” for making NCAA’s even though they’ve made it to the elite 8, but, I would imagine there would be an increase in salary if the administration can make it happen, but with the way cut backs are across the country it is highly unlikely, we really have to be happy with the fortunate positions that we do have and make do the best we can. Those #'s are up to date, no raises department wide since I’ve been here(unless you get a “title” change…from Head Coach to Director…Assistant to Associate Head…etc…) that’s UNC system wide since recession.[/quote]

Interesting, I appreciate you sharing your insight. Please post on the board more!

Interesting, I appreciate you sharing your insight. Please post on the board more!

Like an earlier poster said you can’t really compare us to CH, as much as I hate them… oh my gosh do I hate them… they have super deep pockets that we will probably never match…for some time(crossing fingers for powerball), we should however, look to invest in our non rev coaches a little more, but, with starting football, two bball coach’s salaries, I’m just glad we have maintained all of our sports and will continue to add some with the women’s Title IX field hockey/ lacrosse/ swimming.

Charlotte is about to take off in a huge direction and is poised to be in a BCS type spotlight, most of us realize it is still a few years from that, but it’s so great to know we’re close, just like the days to kickoff is well below a 1000 now and closing in on 500’s!!! To see where we’ve grown from the year 2000 to now is pretty amazing.

Our mascot the “49er” and the reason it is our mascot defines us so well. It is pretty much states that we are an “under dog” and that’s what we are in almost every sense of the word(especially since we started in a basement). Our city’s newspaper won’t cover us, everyone said we would never get football, we are hated on by every fan in the ACC + App + ECU either from being ignorant, jealous, or just plain mean. No one outside the state of NC knows the difference between(or they just get really confused) UNC Charlotte, UNC Chapel Hill, UNC vs. UNCC, or get us confused with something else, but even though we have everything stacked against us it’s not that bad.

You know what, I kind of like the fact that we’re this way. Because we are more special for that, and it is all this “under dogness” that propels our athletes to prove themselves every time the take the court, track, pitch, field etc… So let’s come together as much as we can, because with stronger numbers and the more you show your support the further this place will go…

I don’t know about anyone else here, but I’m dreaming of a Charlotte vs. CH NCAA Soccer Title Game in Hoover Alabama, maybe there we can finally address this whole unc hyphen malarkey and get some new age attention on us and help drive a campaign to get us towards a clear separation from them…

GO NINERS!!! (sorry for tangents, oh and no way Hibbs is close to 100k IMO)

Comparing BCS to non-BCS is apples and oranges. Need to compare to non-BCS peers.

clt has stated before and will continue to raise this point:

ALL UNC SYSTEM POSITIONS SHOULD RECEIVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF STATE FUNDING!!!

clt says a history professor @ chapel hill, charlotte and pembroke should all receive the same amount of public money. if unc-ch and charlotte want to up the salaries to attract higher quality, have at it but the money will need to come from donors.

clt says one could view our current system as biased towards unc-ch. and that view would be correct.

The only reason I compared us to UNC-CH is because the poster earlier was comparing our standard to UNC-CH’s standard. The difference in spending on a coaching level alone is clarification that the money an A-10 school has for each sport compared to the money a BCS school has for each sport isn’t even close.

Our coaches do a tremendous job here, and we compete with “the big boys” in many sports regardless of the money difference.

This turned out ok, right?

Yes, as the result we made the front page of the disturber. ;D I know just a small part but we should know our place, since the paper is a regional and located in chapel hole. ;D

Yes, as the result we made the front page of the disturber. ;D I know just a small part but we should know our place, since the paper is a regional and located in chapel hole. ;D[/quote]I credit the Observer for decent coverage today following last nights’ games. All of the pictures are of us. The article titles refer to Charlotte. In fact, the only article about Crap Hole Hill making it is on page 2C of Sports and has no pictures. On top of that, the notes from College Cup on page 2 of sports mentions how ESPNU didn’t post any pictures of us on their site but did of all three of the other teams. Good job guys.

Yes, as the result we made the front page of the disturber. ;D I know just a small part but we should know our place, since the paper is a regional and located in chapel hole. ;D[/quote]I credit the Observer for decent coverage today following last nights’ games. All of the pictures are of us. The article titles refer to Charlotte. In fact, the only article about Crap Hole Hill making it is on page 2C of Sports and has no pictures. On top of that, the notes from College Cup on page 2 of sports mentions how ESPNU didn’t post any pictures of us on their site but did of all three of the other teams. Good job guys.[/quote]

Yeah- as much as we bash them when they deserve it, we should give them props when they do it right.