So, where's the FIRE LOREN HIBBS thread?

Perhaps the most damning praise of all.

We have to get better across the board.

Perhaps the most damning praise of all.

We have to get better across the board.[/quote]

Let’s talk about expectations going forward. This season has been tough, no doubt. Let’s watch and see if they improve before the season is out. I sure hope so.

We’ll be better next season, but I wouldn’t say we’ll be good. We’ll lose our entire starting pitcher rotation. They will be replaced by the hold overs plus 7-8 freshmen arms. Yeah, I’m worried about that.

Year three in the league. Here is where I’m looking to see this pay off. I’m not saying that we’re going to Omaha, but the staff will have had two seasons to retool the roster for C-USA competition. All of the freshmen that we’re playing now will be juniors. By this time I would like to see us climbing the conference ladder. With the top eight teams in the league making the tournament, I would expect being a regular participant to be our baseline.

These are my expectations and I think they are fair. The staff says that they have a plan to get us up to speed in C-USA and I have no reason to doubt them at this point. Let’s see what happens.

I accept that, I just don’t think his track record over 22 years is anything exceptional. If we are okay with his results in baseball, we should have (as you pointed out) never fired Lutz.

I don’t think fan unrest with Hibbs is unreasonable. Especially in light of just how bad the team has been this year.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:23, topic:28724”]I accept that, I just don’t think his track record over 22 years is anything exceptional. If we are okay with his results in baseball, we should have (as you pointed out) never fired Lutz.

I don’t think fan unrest with Hibbs is unreasonable. Especially in light of just how bad the team has been this year.[/quote]

I won’t tell you that’s he’s exceptional. Hell, this is Charlotte. If he was exceptional, he’d be gone for bigger bucks. That being said, he’s been good. Especially since 2007 when we opened The Hayes. I still think he can do better.

If fans are upset, I can live with that. I’d like to think that we have people that cared about the direction of the program. I just hope that the concern is genuine.

Softball is tanking missrably in cusa too. Schedule aint gonna let up. Just sayin

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:24, topic:28724”][quote=“Powerbait, post:23, topic:28724”]I accept that, I just don’t think his track record over 22 years is anything exceptional. If we are okay with his results in baseball, we should have (as you pointed out) never fired Lutz.

I don’t think fan unrest with Hibbs is unreasonable. Especially in light of just how bad the team has been this year.[/quote]

I won’t tell you that’s he’s exceptional. Hell, this is Charlotte. If he was exceptional, he’d be gone for bigger bucks. That being said, he’s been good. Especially since 2007 when we opened The Hayes. I still think he can do better.

If fans are upset, I can live with that. I’d like to think that we have people that cared about the direction of the program. I just hope that the concern is genuine.[/quote]
This! I don’t think some fans actually realize how much he was ham-strung before 2007 with our facility which would have literally been poor for most decent high school programs. It would have been the equivalent (or maybe even worse) of our basketball team still playing in Belk Gym in C-USA 1.0.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:24, topic:28724”][quote=“Powerbait, post:23, topic:28724”]I accept that, I just don’t think his track record over 22 years is anything exceptional. If we are okay with his results in baseball, we should have (as you pointed out) never fired Lutz.

If fans are upset, I can live with that. I’d like to think that we have people that cared about the direction of the program. I just hope that the concern is genuine.[/quote]

Agreed. No one said he was exceptional. I have my beefs with some things with the program, but I think Hibbs is our guy now. He has a plan and I hope he can get us there.

We have a growing fanbase (highest attendance in program history last year, 49th in the country) and have just entered a very competitive baseball conference. Hopefully our fans and the local baseball community will get on board once we start taking the next steps forward as a program.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:24, topic:28724”]I won’t tell you that’s he’s exceptional. Hell, this is Charlotte. If he was exceptional, he’d be gone for bigger bucks. That being said, he’s been good. Especially since 2007 when we opened The Hayes. I still think he can do better.

I hope you know that I am sincere when I say that I want and hope for better from our baseball program. I understand that message board politics cloudy this subject, but I have always enjoyed going to our games, especially when we played in Kannapolis. Sports are a passionate subject and that kind of subjectivity makes it difficult to talk about it, I get that too.
[font=verdana]
But, there is a clear divide in how accountable coaches have been held. I think Hibbs has gotten off pretty easy, we don’t hold him nearly as accountable as our men’s basketball coach. That doesn’t really bother me as much because it isn’t a revenue generator, I just don’t think we should champion his results. [/font]

Unlike in most other sports, being in Conference USA will be a boon to recruiting for baseball. Our most successful A-10 teams (2007, 2008) were full of players recruited during the end of our CUSA 1.0 days, and right now we’re playing in a major baseball conference with a roster full of mid-major players. It’ll get better; I think everyone knew this year would be rough.

That doesn’t explain why we’ve been so bad non-con.

The Creighton series and UNCA were bad losses, but the other OOC losses have been to solid programs that we typically split the season series with. The Big South is a multi-bid league in baseball; the SoCon was down last year, but they usually are.

Pb ever attended a baseball gm?

The Creighton series and UNCA were bad losses, but the other OOC losses have been to solid programs that we typically split the season series with. The Big South is a multi-bid league in baseball; the SoCon was down last year, but they usually are.[/quote]

I thought Creighton was a solid baseball team are those really considered bad losses?

I already said as much in this thread.

Not only that, but I went to another town to watch us play! And I went to the NCSU regional when we played there.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:28, topic:28724”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:24, topic:28724”]I won’t tell you that’s he’s exceptional. Hell, this is Charlotte. If he was exceptional, he’d be gone for bigger bucks. That being said, he’s been good. Especially since 2007 when we opened The Hayes. I still think he can do better.

I hope you know that I am sincere when I say that I want and hope for better from our baseball program. I understand that message board politics cloudy this subject, but I have always enjoyed going to our games, especially when we played in Kannapolis. Sports are a passionate subject and that kind of subjectivity makes it difficult to talk about it, I get that too.
[font=verdana]
But, there is a clear divide in how accountable coaches have been held. I think Hibbs has gotten off pretty easy, we don’t hold him nearly as accountable as our men’s basketball coach. That doesn’t really bother me as much because it isn’t a revenue generator, I just don’t think we should champion his results. [/font][/quote]

Hibbs is not a world beater or anything, but he has won 3 regular season titles, 1 Conference Tourney, and a NCAA in the last 4 years. That’s equivalent to 2 NITs and an NCAA in hoops. I think people would be happy if our men’s basketball program did that over a 4 year period in a weak C-USA. He may have gotten off pretty easy in the C-USA 1.0 days, but what is he not being held accountable for now?

I’m looking at his total body of work. On top of that, we failed to make the conference tournament in an awful A-10. I am not on a crusade to get Hibbs fired, I can understand why someone would be less than thrilled with his tenure at Charlotte.

The Creighton series and UNCA were bad losses, but the other OOC losses have been to solid programs that we typically split the season series with. The Big South is a multi-bid league in baseball; the SoCon was down last year, but they usually are.[/quote]

I thought Creighton was a solid baseball team are those really considered bad losses?[/quote]

The way we lost game 1 to Creighton may be considered a bad loss, but they are picked to win the Big East.
Canisius was picked to win their conference and we took 2 of 3.
We beat VCU who swept ECU in 2 games. They are the favorite to win the A-10.
The 1 run loss at HPU to open the season, the meltdown at The Citadel, and the home loss to UNCA would be the only 3 “bad losses” this year.

The OOC schedule is probably the toughest we have had in a very long time. Most of our “cupcake games” were rained out so far.

Hibbs doesnt deserve same accountability as Major.
80k vs 500k

How about 100% of his kids graduate. Have 3.0 gpa? Baseball kills academic side
Even more critical with fball

Major is paid to win. Baseball paid to win if you can, but academic hurdle way higher

[quote=“metro, post:38, topic:28724”]Hibbs doesnt deserve same accountability as Major.
80k vs 500k

How about 100% of his kids graduate. Have 3.0 gpa? Baseball kills academic side
Even more critical with fball

Major is paid to win. Baseball paid to win if you can, but academic hurdle way higher[/quote]

I disagree. Hibbs is paid to win. Whether the AD cares if he wins or not is a different story.

The AD should care. More than we do. They should strive to field winners in every sport, even if they don’t matter to us.

My issues with our AD lie more in the fact that we’re not relevant in any sport. Hibbs, to me, is the very definition of accepting mediocrity.