Soccer/Futbol thread ⚽

So WC qualifying kicks off today against Honduras. Its a huge game against a feisty squad in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Honduras as already declared today a national holiday. There really isnt a way to express how crazy the atmosphere will be tonight.

We’ve had their number over several years but this isnt the same old Honduras team. They no longer play that bunker style soccer that you find in CONCACAF. They have a pair of pretty good attacking forwards who could give our revamped front line some problems. I’m saying we pull it out 2-0 but my brain is telling me its gonna be a 1-1 draw.

Line ups will be Howard, Chandler, Gonzo, Cameron, Johnson, Williams, Jones, Bradley, E Johnson (ugh), Demps and Altidore.

I like our defense more than our offense now. Not sure if this team will have the spark it needs to dominate without Donovan, though Dempsey being in top form is helpful. I agree that E Johnson essentially in place of Donovan is a problem.

I think the US loses this one, but finds a way to squeak out of the Hexagonal. There’s been a lot of lackluster performances lately in qualifying, and the other 5 this time are better than they have been in the past I think, with Jamaica and Panama not as much gimmes as past bottom teams, and Mexico looking like a world power of late.

Lost 2-1 to Honduras. Doesn’t surprise me.

Fuck that game. Team looked gassed from start to finish. The back line showed its youth and chandler looked lost at times. A world class goal by deuce followed by the most lethargic goal celebration I’ve ever seen.

I was expecting a draw and hoping for a win. That performance was atrocious. Not sure what Kinsmann is telling those guys but in official matches they haven’t played well in about a year. He’s now 11W-7L-5D as US manager. That’s just not good enough.

This team should still easily qualify in one of those top 3 spots but Costa Rica at home next is a must win because then you have Mexico at Azteca in game 3. You don’t want to potentially be sitting on 1 point through 3 matches.

Or zero points, the US seems to struggle a lot against Costa Rica, even when their teams aren’t as good.

The back line definitely made some mistakes, but they were also under a lot of pressure. I couldn’t figure out what the heck the midfield was doing in this game. There was hardly any pressure on the ball from the midfielders for the parts I watched. Gave them much too much space. Everyone looked lazy on defense, and the offense was only mildly better. Were they told to conserve energy? Or were they all tired to start the game for some reason?

I don’t find the loss in Honduras that surprising, but the way the team looked while it happened was concerning.

Great performance over the past two games. I was expecting 1 point from the two games, hoping for 3. Instead we got 4 points out of a possible 6.

I think Guzan may need to be the starter from here on out.

Also looks like MLS is starting to show it’s impact. Didn’t every player on the pitch last night for the US go through the MLS?

We had an unbelievable resolve last night, despite being on the defensive for about 85 minutes. Estadio Azteca has been a house of horrors for us since…well…ever. WC is now in sight.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1676246-usa-vs-honduras-americans-are-locks-to-win-world-cup-qualifier

That’s such a setup for a disappointment. However, the team has been in good form lately. really like what they are doing with the younger guys - and Jozy establishing himself as a feature/star player striker completely changes the team dynamic the same way having Abby Wambach up front does for the WMNT.

I’m really starting to get behind this team and Klinnsman’s handling of them.

This’ll be the last chance to catch them before September.

On ESPN, coverage starts at 8:30. Game is sold out.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/06/18/kick-confidence-high-usmnt-prep-honduras-rematch-sold-out-rio-tinto-stadium

Go USA! Let’s get some revenge on Honduras!

Why do people insist on using “futbol?”

In English, it’s soccer or football.

Also, Jozy is a true American hero. I think I’ll name a future child after him.

[quote=“The White Samurai, post:30, topic:27433”]Why do people insist on using “futbol?”

Also, Jozy is a true American hero. I think I’ll name a future child after him.[/quote]

I KNEW this was coming…

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:31, topic:27433”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:30, topic:27433”]Why do people insist on using “futbol?”

Also, Jozy is a true American hero. I think I’ll name a future child after him.[/quote]

I KNEW this was coming…[/quote]

That’s what she said.

Actually, in English, it’s “football”.

In 'murican, we introduce the confusion. We’re the UNC system of the football world.

That said, I prefer to call it “proper football”. Because.

Past time to get this thread going again.

I realize the competition has not been elite, but we are also playing our B team. Love what Klinnsman has done to this team. We play a more attacking style than I can ever remember. I think the US has outscored its opposition 16-3 in the Gold Cup so far. That is absolute domination.

Fantastic game by Landon Donovan today, and the Eddie Johnson sub has to go down as the most fortuitous ever, with him scoring a goal 15 secs after he got in the game, to break it open (3-1).

5 goals for the USMNT today and it could have easily been 7 or 8.

And then this:

That game was a lot of fun to watch. All of our performances in this tourney have been a lot of fun to watch. They are really buying into the “attack in waves” style that Kinsmann talked about when he took over.

We haven’t sat back to defend a lead in any of these games.

PS: I bought tickets to the semifinals in Dallas. I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT to be in the stands rooting for the Red, White and Blue!

Landon Donovan is on fire right now. You can tell this squad really respects him.

Wonder if he’d get the same treatment from the “A” squad that he basically quit on.

[quote=“SteauA, post:35, topic:27433”]That game was a lot of fun to watch. All of our performances in this tourney have been a lot of fun to watch. They are really buying into the “attack in waves” style that Kinsmann talked about when he took over.

PS: I bought tickets to the semifinals in Dallas. I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT to be in the stands rooting for the Red, White and Blue![/quote]

I’m kicking myself for not getting on board to go this weekend. They don’t market the national team very well here… both the friendly vs. Germany at RFK and this game at M&T were largely without fanfare.

Also of note. The USMNT scored two goals yesterday off short corners.

I still hate short corners, but it’s working for them right now.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:37, topic:27433”][quote=“SteauA, post:35, topic:27433”]That game was a lot of fun to watch. All of our performances in this tourney have been a lot of fun to watch. They are really buying into the “attack in waves” style that Kinsmann talked about when he took over.

PS: I bought tickets to the semifinals in Dallas. I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT to be in the stands rooting for the Red, White and Blue![/quote]

I’m kicking myself for not getting on board to go this weekend. They don’t market the national team very well here… both the friendly vs. Germany at RFK and this game at M&T were largely without fanfare.[/quote]

47,359 vs. Germany at RFK (Friendly)
70,540 vs. El Salvador at M&T Bank Stadium (Gold Cup Quarterfinals)

Apparently they don’t need to advertise much to get butts in seats.

[quote=“The White Samurai, post:38, topic:27433”]Also of note. The USMNT scored two goals yesterday off short corners.

I still hate short corners, but it’s working for them right now.[/quote]

They had the El Salvador set piece defense completely figured out. You could tell they practiced that exact scheme to death in practice.