Soccer/Futbol thread ⚽

[quote=“SteauA, post:40, topic:27433”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:38, topic:27433”]Also of note. The USMNT scored two goals yesterday off short corners.

I still hate short corners, but it’s working for them right now.[/quote]

They had the El Salvador set piece defense completely figured out. You could tell they practiced that exact scheme to death in practice.[/quote]

Landon’s assist on the first goal was a beautiful example of ball control. It’s not easy to bring a ball down with your chest while moving in the same direction as the pass. He made it look easy.

Donovan needs to start on the A team. Glad he’s pulled it together. This B team is very talented and Klinsmann has tons of options. Wondo should be pulled up as well and there are a half dozen other players who could be on the World Cup team.

[quote=“The White Samurai, post:36, topic:27433”]Landon Donovan is on fire right now. You can tell this squad really respects him.

Wonder if he’d get the same treatment from the “A” squad that he basically quit on.[/quote] Probably not to the same degree, because there’s a lot more guys on the A team with experience at the top levels. But Donovan is clearly re-earning his spot on the first team, I doubt it will be an issue if he continues to be brought in slowly (i.e. as a backup at first, then possibly a starter).

My take on some of the other guys:

I think Eddie Johnson probably deserves a backup role on that first team. I know he’s inconsistent, but he seems improved over his past appearances even before this Gold cup, with a more well-rounded game and better work rate.

Corona might be worth a look on the first squad also.

The other guys on this team are wait and see. Shea had a moment of good play thanks to a nice set-up from Donovan, but has been awful otherwise. Really hope Stoke can help him, and not just park him on the bench for poor play.

I’m a fan of Gomez, because he works hard and does a lot of the little things well, but I’m not sure he plays over other guys at this point. Maybe as a backup in the top spot.

Wondo has finally had some good fortune in this tournament, but he sure seems to squander a lot of good opportunities. Perhaps a little unfair, but I can’t help thinking he would go back to having trouble when better competition gives him less time and space to finish, as his technique seems to break down a lot when under pressure (lots of sky balls and scuffed shots).

Torres is decent, but who does he play over? He seems to do best when he can control how the ball moves around, but at the top levels that gets harder to do and he isn’t the fastest guy, so other speedsters seem to give him trouble.

Beckerman again has good play against inferior competition, so it’s tempting to think he might earn a spot with the WC team. But once the speed picks up, he will again show he’s a major liability.

Besler has probably worked into a backup role, unless guys get injured, but he does seem like he’s still learning proper positioning.

Beasley seems to be the default option at left back, but I’d sure like to see someone else there. He’s good for about 2-3 bad defensive plays a game, though he has helped the attack at times. I’m glad to see him playing a role again on the national team (because I think he works hard and has a good attitude), but he relies on his speed a lot and just isn’t fast enough at this point.

The El Salvador game sold so well because of all the Salvadoran ex-pats in the Bmore area. That stadium was about 75% El Salv blue. Their money is just as green, but I’d rather see more USA fans.

Ken, your player breakdown is really good. Echo’d so many of my thoughts - Donovan, Corona, Eddie Johnson especially. Eddie is really improved.

And I agree that Wondo squanders opportunities. He is tiny, lacks athleticism and his technique is not great. He was scoring against bad competition on instinct, but that ended when we started him. At best, in my mind, he’s a deep bench, hail mary type of sub. He’s never going to be starter material.

Will disagree on Beckerman. Maybe he’s a super guy, but he does nothing for me as a fan. He is slow, his techinque is questionable, and his instincts are nothing special. Beasley at least has some speed and as noted can help on the attack. If Beckerman is a real option on the A team then we have found a weakness.

And FWIW I agree on Beasley too - he’s not ideal at left back.

But I really do love how this team is constantly on the attack. Beasley still running hard to get open on the attack in the closing minutes yesterday was great.

The entire squad (A&B teams) has a pretty solid identity at this point. Solid up front and in the middle, and deep at GK (knock on wood), with a questionable back line. As things progress, I suspect we’ll be giving up goals every game in qualifying and round 1 play in the Cup, but I think we may just have the offense nailed down enough to overcome it. I don’t think we’re going to be scoring 4 goals against WC teams, but I don’t see us losing 1-nil either. We’re probably going to have to win a bunch of 2-1 or 3-2 type games.

[quote=“9erken, post:43, topic:27433”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:36, topic:27433”]Landon Donovan is on fire right now. You can tell this squad really respects him.

Wonder if he’d get the same treatment from the “A” squad that he basically quit on.[/quote] Probably not to the same degree, because there’s a lot more guys on the A team with experience at the top levels. But Donovan is clearly re-earning his spot on the first team, I doubt it will be an issue if he continues to be brought in slowly (i.e. as a backup at first, then possibly a starter).

My take on some of the other guys:

I think Eddie Johnson probably deserves a backup role on that first team. I know he’s inconsistent, but he seems improved over his past appearances even before this Gold cup, with a more well-rounded game and better work rate.

Corona might be worth a look on the first squad also.

The other guys on this team are wait and see. Shea had a moment of good play thanks to a nice set-up from Donovan, but has been awful otherwise. Really hope Stoke can help him, and not just park him on the bench for poor play.

I’m a fan of Gomez, because he works hard and does a lot of the little things well, but I’m not sure he plays over other guys at this point. Maybe as a backup in the top spot.

Wondo has finally had some good fortune in this tournament, but he sure seems to squander a lot of good opportunities. Perhaps a little unfair, but I can’t help thinking he would go back to having trouble when better competition gives him less time and space to finish, as his technique seems to break down a lot when under pressure (lots of sky balls and scuffed shots).

Torres is decent, but who does he play over? He seems to do best when he can control how the ball moves around, but at the top levels that gets harder to do and he isn’t the fastest guy, so other speedsters seem to give him trouble.

Beckerman again has good play against inferior competition, so it’s tempting to think he might earn a spot with the WC team. But once the speed picks up, he will again show he’s a major liability.

Besler has probably worked into a backup role, unless guys get injured, but he does seem like he’s still learning proper positioning.

Beasley seems to be the default option at left back, but I’d sure like to see someone else there. He’s good for about 2-3 bad defensive plays a game, though he has helped the attack at times. I’m glad to see him playing a role again on the national team (because I think he works hard and has a good attitude), but he relies on his speed a lot and just isn’t fast enough at this point.[/quote]

If he’s our LB next summer in Brazil we are in trouble. I think there are definitely better options there (Fabian Johnson for one).

If some unknown El Salvadorian striker was destroying him the other day, what will he do against the likes of Robben?

My biggest disappointment from this GC was Jack McInerney not getting much time and then being sent back to Philly. I am really interested in seeing how he develops. He’s just been on fire as of late. I’d much rather see him cut his teeth than a guy like Wondo, who is never going to be an answer at the A team level.

I agree on Beasley. If he’s there for Brazil we are screwed. The fact that guys like Beasley, Beckerman, kljestan keep getting call ups dumbfound me.

I guess I’m in the minority on Wondo. He’s not a pure striker at all, more of a poacher, but a goal scorer is a goal scorer.

If he finds the net again this Gold Cup, not sure how he doesn’t make the qualifying squad.

At the USMNT hotel today:

[quote=“J Felt, post:47, topic:27433”]I guess I’m in the minority on Wondo. He’s not a pure striker at all, more of a poacher, but a goal scorer is a goal scorer.

If he finds the net again this Gold Cup, not sure how he doesn’t make the qualifying squad.[/quote]

I think Wondo could very easily take Kljestan’s spot on the “A” squad.

With the announcement earlier this week that the MLS will expand to 24 teams by 2020, sportswriter Joe Prince-Wrights ponders on where the additional franchises might land.

NBCSports.com: Which cities will be home to the four new MLS expansion franchises?

I find it shocking and disheartening that The RailHawks are getting no mention in this expansion talk. They have already expanded their stadium to 10K draw great crowds and great regional attendance as well. They are also in a soccer mad tei city area that would support MLS like no other. With only 1 other major league team in the area (hockey) MLS would dominate there. MLS would have a team in the heart of the 8th most populous state in the nation.

Putting a team in Miami is ridiculous. They have already had a chance and failed. Miami is a HORRIBLE town for supporting their teams.

The RailHawks also provide gainful employment for ex Niner Floyd Franks. That makes them even cooler. :smiley:

I saw Raleigh mentioned before in an article.

I think they’ll add the two teams in florida, and add two teams in the midwest. MLS understands something that C-USA tried to do, giving teams a rival. I think North Carolina will get a team when Atlanta gets a team, and it won’t be this round of expansion.

Hopefully we get the sometimes rumored MLS.2 and some promotion regulation. No way that doesn’t include the RailHawks. But I bet we are a decade away from that at least.

World Cup groups are set.

What do you guys think about the USMNT’s chance to get out of its group?

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

The first game against Ghana is basically a must-win.

[quote=“J Felt, post:56, topic:27433”]World Cup groups are set.

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

The first game against Ghana is basically a must-win.[/quote]

We won’t beat Germany, but we need to keep it close and not let their strikers demolish our back line (so hope Germany takes it easy on us) for possible tiebreaker scenarios (mainly goal differential). I think the U.S. can get out of this group. The U.S. is a better team than Ghana, and really Portugal for that matter. Portugal has Ronaldo, who is arguably the best player in the world right now (with Messi injured). We’ll see though. I definitely think it’s possible for the U.S. to advnace.

Oh great, Ghana again.

[quote=“J Felt, post:56, topic:27433”]World Cup groups are set.

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

The first game against Ghana is basically a must-win.[/quote] A bad group to get, but not insurmountable. The order of games helps (Ghana-Portugal-Germany), as long as the US can win the first game. Will have to get a point against Portugal or Germany’s subs (hopefully, if Germany takes care of business).

The worst group was definitely Group B, so it could be worse. If the US was in Australia’s spot, I’d say we have basically no chance.

Brazil, Argentina, and Columbia got about as good a draw as you could expect. Could write some really good conspiracy theories with this, considering these are the three highest population centers in proximity to the games. Two of the three weakest seeds (Switzerland and to a lesser extend Belgium) got good draws too, which could blunt criticism of them being seeded if they make the next round.

Germany? Portugal? & Ghana beat us last time? We’re screwed. When is 2018?