Some Other Interesting Stats...

updated from Charlotte49ers.com:

Plavich has scored exactly 100 points through 6 games for a 16.7 PPG avg.

We are shooting 50.1% FG as a team to our opponents 42.8%

We hold a slight edge in rebounds per game 37.8 to our opponents 35.8 (Withers is averaging 6.4 boards per game - I would like to see this go up a little)

We have 106 assists on the season to our opponents 83…

and have turned the ball over 98 times to our opponants 116

We have 23 blocks on the season (Iti with 13, Withers with 5) to our opponents 10

We have 69 steals (Basden with 24) to our oppenents 35

We have been to the line 165 times but only made 100 of those (60.6%), while our opponents have been to the line 110 times and made 89 (80.9%)

We are averaging 86.8 points per game with a 12.5 + scoring margin

Looking at those stats is a little depressing, we are so obviously outplaying our opponants, yet we’re 4-2? That damn free throw stat, not only how bad we are shooting, but how well other teams are shooting against us. It just makes our poor shooting that much worse.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Dec 9 2004, 03:20 PM [b] Looking at those stats is a little depressing, we are so obviously outplaying our opponants, yet we're 4-2? That damn free throw stat, not only how bad we are shooting, but how well other teams are shooting against us. It just makes our poor shooting that much worse. [/b]
You may as well add our missed FTs to the turnover column because that's what they are, in effect.

It is interesting how incorrect the stats can be. I just looked an they had no assists for BP and I watched the game again last night and in the second half he clearly had an assist on a pass to MArtin where he made the shot and got fouled. I’m pretty sure he had a couple other assists as well. I think assists is the most under reported stat. I think the scorer just misses a bunch and they should go back and look at the tape to get the “official” stats.

Unfortunately Jimmy, assists are judgemental, and done by the home team’s stat crew. Depending on who is judging it, you could have a lot of assists or very few, studies indicate 50-60% of baskets made come from assists but vary based on a team’s style of play. Two problems for the passer: 1) the shooter must make the basket (you’re killing my stats, LOL) and 2) if you make a great pass and the shooter is fouled in the act of shooting, there is no assist even if a free throw is made, unless the field goal attempt was good.

The NCAA Stat Manual says… A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing directly to a field goal (or an awarded score of two or three points). Only one assist is to be credited on any field goal and only when the pass was a major part of the play.

Such a pass should be either (a) a pass that finds a player free after he or she has maneuvered without the ball for a positional advantage, or (B) a pass that gives the receiving player a positional advantage he or she otherwise would not have had.

Philosophy. An assist should be more than a routine pass that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by the receiver. It is not even necessary that the assist be given on the last pass. There is no restraint on the distance or type of shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determining whether an assist should be credited.

OT:

Jimmy hat - will you PLEASE change that avatar. It is the most disgusting thing ever and it just keeps repeating. Coach K is gross looking enough w/o the sick animation. Makes me want to throw up, maybe I just have a week stomach though. It IS funny, I admit, but I think I’ve lost my appetite on more than one occasion just from reading the board. Just a request.

Later.

[i]Originally posted by greenarch[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 12:28 PM [b] OT:

Jimmy hat - will you PLEASE change that avatar. It is the most disgusting thing ever and it just keeps repeating. Coach K is gross looking enough w/o the sick animation. Makes me want to throw up, maybe I just have a week stomach though. It IS funny, I admit, but I think I’ve lost my appetite on more than one occasion just from reading the board. Just a request.

Later. [/b]

Sorry…avatar stays.

You could try out the new “ignore” feature, but then you would miss out on my tremendous wit and knowledge…