Someone introdue Iti to Preston.

With all the praise I am hearing about our strength coach I was just wondering when he and Iti will be introduced.

Not that his upper and lower body weakness wasn’t already glaring but it was really exposed last night. He is unable to get position at either end of the floor and is simply moved out of the way in every rebounding situation.

Last night he had 1 rebound in 18 minutes and played like a scared little girl in the paint.

Nance had 6 rebounds in 22 minutes. This should be our starting center because he is one of the few guys on our team that is physical enough to rebound in cusa. Other than Basden and Curt (when he wants to) nobody on this team boxes out effectively.

My thoughts on Iti can be summed up in this NBA draft preview on espn.com from last year. The NBA scout says it best. He needs a “game transplant.” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin Iti
College: Charlotte
Class: Freshman | Position: Center | Ht: 7-0 | Wt: 240
2003-04 Stats: 6.0 ppg | 4.7 rpg

Scouts Say: Iti’s invitation to the pre-draft camp, along with Gonzaga senior Cory Violette’s omission, irked some scouts, let alone coaches in Spokane. Iti has done nothing in his basketball career to warrant an invitation to the draft camp. To quote one scout, he needs a “game transplant,” before the NBA would consider him. He wouldn’t be drafted if there were three rounds in the draft. Another scout said Iti would have to get every rebound, block shots, and run the court like Milwaukee’s Dan Gadzuric to get a look.

Bottom Line: He’s not even on this draft’s radar. So, unless he’s becomes a dominant center in four days, Iti should (and we underscore should) be back in Charlotte for his sophomore season.

It does look like Iti has lost weight/muscle mass from last year. They wanted him to be quicker/leaner. I agree he doesn’t block out well and is slow reacting to missed shots. But last night everyone got owned on the boards. Part of it had to do with trying the difficulty of making sure everyone is blocked out in a zone as others have pointed out.

Iti’s time would have been much better spent on campus last summer instead of the NBA Draft camp and wherever else he was. More muscle would certainly help, but he should still be rebounding better than he is right now. He is usually the tallest player on the court and he has very long arms. He is just too slow.

I guess (hope) Iti will spend this summer on campus and put on some muscle. He was probably not going to get drafted had he declared last year and he hasn’t done anything to raise his stock so far this season.

I agree that Nance should start over Iti… I said that after the UAB game. Nance is a better rebounder, better on offense, and just seems to hustle more. The only thing we would lose is Iti’s ability to block and alter shots. I would like to see Nance start and get 25+ minutes or so and see Iti come off the bench for about 15 minutes.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 02:37 PM [b] The only thing we would lose is Iti's his ability to block and alter shots. I would like to see Nance start and get 25+ minutes or so and see Iti come off the bench for about 15 minutes. [/b]
I'd like to see Iti wearing a Marquette jersey on Saturday so that our frontcourt can actually score/rebound. :P
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jan 20 2005, 03:01 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jan 20 2005, 03:01 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 02:12 PM [b]Martin Iti College: Charlotte Class: Freshman | Position: Center | Ht: 7-0 [/b]
It's time to stop using that lie about Iti's height and list him for what he is. Heck, even his profile on Charlotte49ers.com doesn't list his height -- the only one on the entire team! Hmmm...

Martin Iti

At the NBA pre-draft camp, he measured at 6’ 8 1/2" without shoes and 6’ 9 3/4" with shoes.

NBA Chicago Pre-Draft Camp Player Measurements

I suppose listing him at 7’ is supposed to intimidate the opposing team, but sure doesn’t seem to be working. That said, he did have 11 points, 6 rebounds, and a block in the win at Cincy last year. What gives? :unsure:

The offensive rebound on that missed free throw half way thru the second half is the one that drove me crazy. He just got push under the basket like a little girl. Horrible effort on the boards by everyone but Ed.

[i]Originally posted by run49er+Jan 20 2005, 03:22 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Jan 20 2005, 03:22 PM)
[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 03:25 PM [b] The offensive rebound on that missed free throw half way thru the second half is the one that drove me crazy. He just got push under the basket like a little girl. Horrible effort on the boards by everyone but Ed. [/b]
I agree on everything except that Eddie and Nance both rebounded hard.

Iti gets moved under the basket every time which renders him useless because he cannot alter shots or rebound from that position. He is just not strong enough to establish position while rebounding, posting or defending the post.

We got outrebounded by 19!

Cincinnati’s 3 starting frontcourt players almost outrebounded our entire team!

Martin had the longest wingspan in that list at 7’ 5’’. His standing reach of 9’ 3.5’’ was the longest, tied with Marcus Dothit who was a legit 6’11" with shoes on. Head to toe he may not be 7 feet, but his arms make up for it.

I definately agree with the first guy. Nance should without a doubt be our starting center at least for a few games. Im not suggesting this against Marquette on Saturday, but in the near future. Maybe, just maybe if you sit Iti and not let him start that might light a fire up his ass and get him to start jumping and getting some darn rebounds.

Nance is a much more physical player anyway. He played a great game at UAB with the limited minutes he recieved. I am a new student at UNCC but am quite familar with the program. I was pumped to hear that charlotte would be getting a 7 footer added to its roster last year. Now that I am here and watching him in person I see that he is a total flop.

I know he hasnt been playing the game for very long, and Lutz is not the best ‘big man’ coach on the face of the earth but one would think he would get help over the summer? Start NANCE he seems to want it more! See how Iti reacts maybe that move would ignite the fire we need.

On a other note: Is it just me or does this team not have a leader? There is no doubt in my mind we would have beat Alabama if somone would have stepped up and been a leader. When i say leader I mean someone who speaks for the team both on and off the court. Someone who gets the team fired up and ready to play? I thought Withers would assume that role but he doesnt seem to want it. Eddie? Mitch? they both have had there moments, but none of them have been concrete leaders. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Are you kidding me? What more does Eddie have to do to be a leader? Did you watch him save our game against SLU? Or the way he tried to beat Alabama single handidly from the second half on? Eddie is always talking on the court, to the other team, to our team, but he’s not Demon Brown either. Demon may have been a more emotional leader, and he was far more capable of taking over a game with his 3-ball, but Eddie has been a great leader all year. Go back and watch Eddie in that Cincy game, he was doing everything he could to help the team win, and he was playing far out of position. I’ve noticed some people like to comment on him getting burned on defense. Well, he does, but that’s partly because he has been guarding at least 2 guys on the other team every possession this year. It seems to go up to three when Brendan and EJ are in the game together. Eddie was trying to guard their entire backcourt, the wings and Hicks. He rotates to the ball so often (and gets burned because of it) because a lot of our players don’t pick up their defensive assignments or just get flat out abused so badly that they never had a chance. When Eddie gets commanded by Lutz to guard one player, he gets to shine, because he almost always locks them down.

BP, I would feel more comfortable calling him a leader if he didn’t look to shoot everytime he caught the ball. Nearly had a heartattack watching him almost let go of the ball about 6 or 7 times when he caught the ball smothered by a defender. To his credit, he is miles ahead of where he was last year, but it still makes my heart skip a beat. He played great in the UC game, I hope he can play like that at home.

Mitch shouldn’t be a leader right now. This is his first year starting and seeing meaningful minutes running the team. If he had emerged as a leader, it would have been a huge boost to our team, but I suspect that he will be more of a leader next year with a full season under his belt as a PG.

Curt should be more of a leader, he really played like garbage in the game. It was hard to watch our front court, because we couldn’t see them. I wasn’t really sure they were actually at the game.

No doubt that Eddie is the leader by example, but I think the team really misses the passion and emotion that Demon played with. He had a presence about him and could light a fire under you and would light a fire under you if you dogged it. However Eddie has more than stepped up as a player, now he needs to be even more vocal.

Plus…if Demon didn’t think you were pushing it…he’d pull out his .38 caliber!! Now that’s an idea for coach…first guy caught not hustling gets a cap in the head! I’m always lookin for new motivational techniques.

Dude…not funny.

I figure his problem is the “sophomore jinx”. Only problem is that it is supposed to happen to players who had good seasons(numbers) as freshmen. Hard to believe Iti is playing worse this year than last. Don’t know what the guy’s problem is. Is it possible all of those scouts were wrong about him?

Also looks like Curt is having his “sophomore jinx” this year instead of last. Not sure if he is going to pull it together this year or not.

1 thing i’ve seen posted a lot on this board that might have some validity is that we don’t seem to get the most out of,or improve our big men…you can make a pretty good case that if someone had been able to get Martin to work over last summer with a “big man” coach,on things like technique,footwork…etc.,while also getting him to improve his stregnth,he mighta been a much more polished player now.Do we have anyone who works specifically with the big guys on our staff?

[i]Originally posted by lucky57[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 11:14 PM [b] 1 thing i've seen posted a lot on this board that might have some validity is that we don't seem to get the most out of,or improve our big men...you can make a pretty good case that if someone had been able to get Martin to work over last summer with a "big man" coach,on things like technique,footwork..etc.,while also getting him to improve his stregnth,he mighta been a much more polished player now.Do we have anyone who works specifically with the big guys on our staff? [/b]
Benny Moss works with the big guys and Nance credited Moss and trainer Preston Greene with helping him improve his game in the offseason. Nance came in early and worked hard. Iti played a lot over the summer but was not here to work with our guys.

He did show signs of improvement over the first 10 games. He was averaging 9 pts and 6 boards a game after about 10 games. He was also getting almost 3 dunks a game. Now he has regressed. We’ll need him to bounce back and contribute to have a chance to be really good. Same goes for Curtis.

Let’s be honest…Look at our early season schedule.All the conf. usa coaches have a book on Martin now.Hate to say it but i’m kinda hopin he gets his 2 fouls as early as possible sat. so we can get him out of there asap!