Something else to muck up the "University City" area

From my knowledge of the area, where is the cheap housing other than student off campus housing?
Also I feel like there is a lot of activity on the weekends during the summer at UCity Place. It does not seem unsafe, lots of children and families…
Is a lot of this based on local news reporting on crime. I just looked at a map of crime rates, and it seems that the only area where there is a high occurrence of crime is on Old Concord road. To me thats basically old Newell not U City.

[quote=“Charlottean, post:21, topic:27954”]From my knowledge of the area, where is the cheap housing other than student off campus housing?
Also I feel like there is a lot of activity on the weekends during the summer at UCity Place. It does not seem unsafe, lots of children and families…
Is a lot of this based on local news reporting on crime. I just looked at a map of crime rates, and it seems that the only area where there is a high occurrence of crime is on Old Concord road. To me thats basically old Newell not U City.[/quote]There is a city-owned government housing complex across 49 by Colville. I don’t remember the name of the road anymore though.

I know a few of the “student” apartments off campus that rent by the room have a really high number of non-students. My sister lived in University Walk two years ago and got stuck with two super-ghetto girls that did not go to school. They had a lot of different dudes over a lot too and my sister felt uncomfortable, so she almost never stayed there.

A lot of Colville, Colville II, and the other developments from the 80’s have a high percentage of non-students. I used to live in Colville and it was majority non-student when I was there. I looked at a few units there and some of them were really bad inside. You could tell there had been some pretty low-class individuals living in there. Holes all in the walls, carpet with cigarette burns all in it. Nothing cleaned in what looked like years. It was disgusting.

If they could zone the UC “Section-8 free” that would take care of so many problems. When you import people that think students have more than they do you are just dropping trouble into a target-rich environment.

Is the crime targeted at students? I didn’t know anyone that had a problem while at school, or is it crime within that area?
Also, the 29 side of the school does not seem to be bad. Is this one pocket making the whole area look bad? Why don’t Charlotte alum know this and still open something?

[quote=“Nugget, post:23, topic:27954”]If they could zone the UC “Section-8 free” that would take care of so many problems. When you import people that think students have more than they do you are just dropping trouble into a target-rich environment.[/quote]You can’t really zone it that way though. Section 8 is a voucher. There aren’t “Section 8 Complexes.” I mean I get what you’re saying, I just want to point out that section 8 is not a type of housing. Section 8 vouchers allow low income people to choose where they want to live.

I could rent my place out to someone with a section 8 voucher if I wanted to.

clt says that u city needs more density.

Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course

[quote=“aosbor18, post:27, topic:27954”]Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course[/quote]Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it. The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.

[quote=“ChevEE, post:28, topic:27954”][quote=“aosbor18, post:27, topic:27954”]Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course[/quote]Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it. The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.[/quote]In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

Nobody wants car dealerships in their area. They do not add anything positive to an area. They have their place in society, but it should not be beside what was supposed to be one of the premier light rail stations on the blue line extension.

[quote=“Niner National, post:29, topic:27954”][quote=“ChevEE, post:28, topic:27954”][quote=“aosbor18, post:27, topic:27954”]Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course[/quote]Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it. The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.[/quote]In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

Nobody wants car dealerships in their area. They do not add anything positive to an area. They have their place in society, but it should not be beside what was supposed to be one of the premier light rail stations on the blue line extension.[/quote]

truth is, when they build car dealerships, NO BODY ELSE wants to be around them. This project will NOT promote a pleasant, “collegiate atmosphere” for the area.

[quote=“49er1, post:30, topic:27954”][quote=“Niner National, post:29, topic:27954”][quote=“ChevEE, post:28, topic:27954”][quote=“aosbor18, post:27, topic:27954”]Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course[/quote]Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it. The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.[/quote]In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

Nobody wants car dealerships in their area. They do not add anything positive to an area. They have their place in society, but it should not be beside what was supposed to be one of the premier light rail stations on the blue line extension.[/quote]

truth is, when they build car dealerships, NO BODY ELSE wants to be around them. This project will NOT promote a pleasant, “collegiate atmosphere” for the area.[/quote]All one has to do is drive down South Blvd or Independence to see what happens to car dealerships 20 years down the road.

[quote=“Niner National, post:31, topic:27954”][quote=“49er1, post:30, topic:27954”][quote=“Niner National, post:29, topic:27954”][quote=“ChevEE, post:28, topic:27954”][quote=“aosbor18, post:27, topic:27954”]Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course[/quote]Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it. The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.[/quote]In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

truth is, when they build car dealerships, NO BODY ELSE wants to be around them. This project will NOT promote a pleasant, “collegiate atmosphere” for the area.[/quote]All one has to do is drive down South Blvd or Independence to see what happens to car dealerships 20 years down the road.[/quote]

Yeah, they use them for post-apocalyptic movie sets. ??? :’(

Heads up, the meeting on this is next monday september 16th

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/15/4316259/car-dealer-wants-to-build-auto.html

Hope some of you can make it… So much BS!!

Good point at the end of the article. Plenty of dealerships now use parking decks instead of just paving over an enormous lot. Scott Clark Toyota did that on Independence, and it works just fine. There is some open display area, but a majority of the cars are in the deck. No reason that can’t be done here to encourage a mixed use of the property, with non-car dealership uses closer to the station.

No vote taken, deferred to September 25, but the plot thickens as apparently there’s 30 acres on the other side of the light rail, opposite the proposed auto mall that’s under contract, and already zoned for an auto dealership… the potential exists that there’d be auto mall on one side of the line and an auto dealership on the other. A lot of… well, to put it politely, “arm-twisting”, that if the city approves the auto mall then the car dealerships won’t build elsewhere, closer to the line, or “letting” the city develop transit-oriented development on other properties along the line.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/16/4319422/council-members-raise-concerns.html

Time to step up, this is where the university, (students and student govt) need to be vocal. It looks lke there are some with a vision of what should be. But the “Parks” don’t really care.

This issue should be at the top of the priority list for all supporters of the university.

Would be great to geta few people there for the next meeting.

I do not like the threats around a purchase option, etc. Auto folks are trying to bully their way to getting what they want.

Mary Hopper, longtime executive director of University City Partners, is no longer with the nonprofit organization, and its board is searching for a new executive director.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/mary-hopper-out-at-ucp-curt-walton-is.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo