Spears staying or going?

I donā€™t agree. Iā€™ve seen several times where an opposing player guarded 2 of our players at once. Have you not seen a SG set up shot in the corner and wait the whole 35 seconds to maybe get passed the ball? only for our other 3 point threat to run a screen to his side.[/quote]
Spot on. Our lack of movement on offense and lazy sets made it easy to guard two guys at onceā€¦[/quote]

This is why we must get an Xā€™s and Oā€™s guy for our next HC. It was painful to watch the Bobby Lutz ā€œoffense.ā€

[quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:15, topic:22867ā€]Spears is a solid talent but his attitude sucks. Heā€™s a big baby on the court when things arenā€™t going well and pouts when heā€™s not playing.

If heā€™s going to be a child about the coach we bring in and not be a team guy let him go. Just means more time for KJ and more develoment for Braz.[/quote]

goodbye and good luck. This program wants to move forward, if you donā€™t want on that train then see the door.

Spears has talent and we are lucky to have him and his emotion. That said, from the outside looking in and from whatā€™s been said on here, he does seem to have the personality/anger to not take well to direction from authority. Once again, outside looking in. A hot head. It can be good and bad.

Theres only so many shots a team can take and so much playing time to go around. I want leaders and fierceness against opposing teamsā€¦ just canā€™t direct that towards your team and coaches.

wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.

nothing good can come from this thread.

Well the one game I saw in person he tried to fight the entire Fordham coaching staffā€¦

Seconded.

I thought that per policy he had to stay one year under the new HC? Does he just want to quit playing and graduate?

glad someone else feels this wayā€¦

Yes and no. If we are going to move on and someone doesnā€™t want to be a part of that, then so be it.

No coach or player can be bigger than the program.

his only 2 options. Play for us or end college career.

Hopefully heā€™ll just suck it up and play. We have a legit chance to compete for the A-10 title next year and a big year under a new coach could do wonders for the program.

This can be said of many of the threads that show up on here.

Spears posted it on his facebook page for any and all to see. He wanted people to know and talk about it. Wouldnā€™t shock me if heā€™s been looking here for the thread to come up on it. Itā€™s not just a rumor someone ā€œheard.ā€ which makes it fair game for discussion here IMO.

No one disputes that Spears is a terrific talent that we need to ensure being a top contender next year. I want him to be part of this team.

But the truth is he has an attitude problem that needs to be fixed, or managed at the least. There were games this past year where he got flatly out of control.

Ultimately if he wants to continue playing basketball heā€™ll stay. If he leaves, a decent career overseas awaits and I wish him well.

[quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]I really donā€™t think weā€™ll be a top of the league contender next year even with Spears on the team.

I agree with those that say this thread is pointless. Who knows what Spears is thinking? Maybe heā€™s worried the new coach will want to let him go. Maybe he is worried the new coach will be a jerk. Or maybe he is not sure who is going to transfer out, and wondering if this will leave him unhappy to stay around or if heā€™d be better off trying to get an overseas contract before the team implodes. If I was in his situation, Iā€™d probably be wondering about whatā€™s in my best interest for next year too. Probably better to wait and see what the players actually do before saying things like ā€œif he doesnā€™t like it, he can leaveā€¦ā€

[quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:15, topic:22867ā€]Spears is a solid talent but his attitude sucks. Heā€™s a big baby on the court when things arenā€™t going well and pouts when heā€™s not playing.

If heā€™s going to be a child about the coach we bring in and not be a team guy let him go. Just means more time for KJ and more develoment for Braz.[/quote]

I have posted many times, even when we were winning, there is a reason BC let him go.

You can look it up.

Isnā€™t the stipulation that he canā€™t transfer to a Division 1 school for 1 year? Meaning that he would be eligible to play right away for a division 2 school like Pfeifer, Wingate, Queens, JC Smith etc.? Just curious. Sounds like he wants to be the king of his own pond, which he could certainly do at that level.

I think you are correct on both counts.

I agree with the statement we shouldnā€™t assume heā€™s going because heā€™s mad at the program or doesnā€™t want to play for a certain type of coach. Could be personal reasons.

In any case, I hope we have him back, if not, I wish him well.

[quote=ā€œ9erken, post:35, topic:22867ā€][quote=ā€œsreniN, post:25, topic:22867ā€]wow. im kinda surprised by these responses. Spears is a quality player that helps us out a lot.

i understand the sentiments, but we really need to keep him to be a top of the league contender next year.[/quote]I really donā€™t think weā€™ll be a top of the league contender next year even with Spears on the team.

I agree with those that say this thread is pointless. Who knows what Spears is thinking? Maybe heā€™s worried the new coach will want to let him go. Maybe he is worried the new coach will be a jerk. Or maybe he is not sure who is going to transfer out, and wondering if this will leave him unhappy to stay around or if heā€™d be better off trying to get an overseas contract before the team implodes. If I was in his situation, Iā€™d probably be wondering about whatā€™s in my best interest for next year too. Probably better to wait and see what the players actually do before saying things like ā€œif he doesnā€™t like it, he can leaveā€¦ā€[/quote]

what MK said

if you are a member of a major NCAA sport, and go on FB to announce to all that ā€œyou may not be backā€ then it will be discussed, the pros and cons, this is not Upward or the YMCA or wed night church league

I suspect as adult as Spears appears physically, he has a maturity problem

Spears could be huge for us next year if he wants to be 1/13th of the solution, working toward a common goal