Special Board of Trustees conference call on August 14th

Any rumors out there to what this may have been about? They do not happen often, I’m curious if this is a follow up to the Jerry Richardson stuff.

Source --> https://chancellor.uncc.edu/board-trustees/meetings

clt says stadium expansion

Yep. news soon.

1 Like

I think the Big Cat did the things he was accused of, and I think they were inappropriate, but not predatory in the Harvey Weinstein way. I don’t understand why some of the people he did them to stayed in their jobs for years rather than quitting, but they did strike a deal and cashed his big check so to me they made peace with the situation. He sold the team, he is no longer their boss, it is over. Now, we can take the long view of his career and contributions, and I see a man that was extraordinarily successful and generous to his companies and community. I am glad we are keeping his name on the stadium. Long term he is going to be remembered well.

1 Like

Say this on that Spanberg’s Twitter . Others are going bonkers on it in the other direction.

Pdubois@uncc.edu with your thoughts!!!

Meh dont care, though I do hate we are costing ourselves money in the long run.

I think the other direction is valid too. This is a difficult situation and I suspect whether you have been personally touched by this kind of inappropriate behavior probably informs your perspective. I have not been, so it may be easier for me to look at the big picture.

This was the bad financial move. Screw 10M for life.

Aesthetics are everything in today’s age, extremely poor decision on the University’s part. Now we are the shitty team that doesn’t care about women.

This all stems from not having an adequate donor base. Financially it would be tough to back out of this deal. JR probably has much better attorneys than the university. How about we revisit this in 15 to 20 years?

Our deal SUCKS financially. We could easily get more money out of this, unless big cat has promised us more money if we don’t remove it.

The point is, even keeping his name on the stadium will only bring bad press to JR. I see few negatives to removing his name in the current climate.

Phil wonders why alums don’t like him.

Jerry has had enough bad press. I doubr he would have fought it if he got a refund

Can anyone supply a valid positive reason for keeping the name? Honest question.

$100M in the will?

Jerry threatened to remove Bojangles from campus all together. That’s all that I could think of.

Couldn’t contain myself. Blood is boiling. These are the same people that took a bunch of App alums false praise and ran with it instead of using the same alumni database they have used in the past to bash our donations. I just don’t understand.

Board of Trustees,

I can’t help but be disappointed in your decision to maintain the agreement with Jerry Richardson. Despite the obvious moral reasoning, this deal is not sound financially. Colorado State received over 35 million dollars for a 15 year agreement.

Imagine for a second coaching our football program, going into a recruits house and having to justify our team playing in a stadium named for Jerry Richardson, given his transgressions.

More than this, I am disappointed at how consistently this board makes decisions that are against the very clearly stated wishes of alumni and students. I do not understand the purpose of a board of trustees that does not use its voice for the people it serves. The Belk Tower, the athletic Director, and now the stadium name have been clear examples of this. Maybe alums would be more involved, and more inclined to donate if we adjusted the way this board makes decisions.

I heard in today’s convocation the future of the cone center is being studied. I do hope you all will find a suitable way to honor Mrs. Bonnie Cone in the structure’s absence. This is a good way to grasp some low hanging fruit and connect with the aforementioned alums.

Thank you for your time,

If we back out of this deal what message does that send to future donors? Imagine the skeletons in the closet of someone like Bruton Smith.

Don’t be sexual predators.

2 Likes