Special Board of Trustees conference call on August 14th

Both of you can feel the way you feel. All I can do is post an honest question. If I wanted to stir the pot I could make up a pro Charlotte name and ask the same questions. In my post I even took time to mention some App history that is not exactly pristine.

McApp fan is right. I get some of us are annoyed it’s coming from another fan base.

Bad money, worse morals.

Phil continues to prove that he is the worst PR manager in the free world. Regardless of what others think about him, this is the same guy that has responded to us on his email, which is public record, shaming our donations and/or GPAs.

To answer your question, we celebrate UNC Charlotte as the most diverse campus in the UNC system, and one of the most diverse in the Country. Phil deserves whatever poop storm comes his way, and I hope the students let him have it.

I prefer to see a bit of student activism on campus, and find that more a positive than negative. It shows a campus that is alive and aware.

Maybe at some point in the near future this gets done in a way that in not a financial hit to Charlotte but also something that anyone upset by this decision can also live with.

And if that does not happen and the name stays for decades at some point it will likely become a very insignificant part of the school’s story it presents to the outside world.

It already is insignificant. This board does not represent most of the region.

clt says don’t take away the avocados from student housing

OK it’s lifetime naming rights. In my opinion, good legal counsel would be investigating options post JR (after he dies). Aware that lifetime isn’t his life necessarily, but it seems to me it will be much easier to negotiate a naming rights exit after he dies. For the record, I’m not bothered that much with his statue at BAC stadium nor with his name for Charlotte’s stadium. What he did was unseemly, but more so it was ill-timed and in the grand scheme, not that bad. If all you mamby pamby femi-dudes want to bash me for that opinion, have at it. In fact, I expect it. Go Niners. And you App trolls? Go the hell home will you?

1 Like

Well said dorm73.

Do you have daughters, sisters, a significant other that identifies as female, or a mom?

So it’s ok to be a serial harasser of women in your book? Would you feel the same if that had been your wife, mom, sister or daughter?

Proof JR was such? Your point? My point since needing repeating or in your case, clarification is that JR was guilty only in court of public opinion which these days seems on par with SCOTUS. Dangerous times we are in it seems.

1 Like

Where did I blame the victim? I said we don’t know what the other party did or didn’t do. By saying “didn’t do” implies the accuser could be innocent. But we don’t know.

Thank goodness the legal system agrees with that logic. Both sides get to make their point and you’re not charged by the court of public opinion.

Personally I think if we made a change, it has to be done while he’s alive. I have an overwhelming gut feeling he won’t allow himself to be deposed nor take the stand to testify so it’d be an easy win in court. His estate could be much more difficult to contend with.

This isn’t personal against JR, just business.

1 Like

Agreed. I think in some form, JR claimed “victory” when he sold the team for $2B. He doesn’t want to spend time in court.

On the other hand though, in regards to the estate, they may be less worried about “his” image than they are about “their” money. They may take the approach of “so if you take his name down, we get $10mill back? Yeah, I think I’m ok with that”.

I’m consolidating my thoughts

1. The day the naming rights deal was announced I said with confidence and conviction that it was a terrible terrible deal. Short sighted as hell… Exactly what I expected from our leadership though.
  2. I think its a slippery slope excusing or minimizing the alleged harassment over tones. It sends a terrible message from the top.
  3. Completely ignoring the fact Big Cat apparently liked to throw around racial slurs… Papa John lost it all for dropping the bomb once…
  4. The fact the man has never said one word to refute the allegations, apologize for his actions, or make any effort to address the impacts of this situation is inexcusable.

Its a bad look for the school. You can do good things and life and still be a dick.

1 Like